Anyone else training for a 10k or half marathon?

13»

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    I did my first ever "real" run yesterday, a 10K. I will be running that course again in 2 months for a Wounded Warrior run, so I'm going to try to best my time.

I ran it in 1:04.

Oh and it was sponsored by a local running club and had about 125 runners. Boy, they are FAST!! Goodness Gracious!!! That and it was held on an Army base, so all those trim and very fit 17 and 18 years old, man they are FAST too!! Many runners at the 5:00 mins mile mark!!

I am thinking about signing up for a half in September. It's still pretty warm here in Sept. so, I'm on the fence. But I may just jump in!
  • alimaeden
    alimaeden Posts: 10 Member
    things i think about on the treadmill:

1. obviously my patients, 90% of the time i run for those who can't. i think about the effort and determination it takes for my patients to do simple tasks like eat brush their teeth go to the bathroom etc, and then i think about what i could accomplish if i had that kind of determination.
    2. i've gotten really into lolo jones lately, i learned all about her story and now i think about her a lot, everything she's overcome. she has a decent bio on netflix.
    3. when i don't feel like running anymore, i do intervals, usually 90s at 4 or 4.5, then 30s at 6 or 6.5. you'd be amazed how quickly little chunks of time fall away!
    4. the other day i watched knocked up.
    5. yesterday there was a phils/pirates game on hahaha
    6. sometimes i look around the gym and get into a competition with someone, just in my head.
    7. i watch my time for each increment, like 5k, 5 miles, goal for the day, and imagine if i had done the half that day what would my time have been. yesterday i was happy cos i did 7 in 80 minutes, and 80+80 is 160, which is 2:40:00, which is 13 minutes faster than my first half...mind games! running is 20% physical and 80% mental.

uuuggghhh...are we at 8 miles yet?

yeah...can't wait to run outside!!!
  • alimaeden
    alimaeden Posts: 10 Member
    i also keep the treadmill at a 1% incline the whole time cos i heard that helps approximate running outside. no incline gives you an advantage because the treadmill belt is advancing under your feet, and the ground isn't that helpful :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Wow, so great to get so many responses! I have a few questions for everyone:

*I have to start my training on a treadmill, since I live in Vermont and it's super cold and there isn't any shoulder to run on anymore with all the snow. Are there any tips, tricks, etc. that people use to make the treadmill not terrible? I get so bored so fast.

*What has kept you going beyond the initial burst of training? I usually start a new running training program, and when the 'newness' runs out, fall off and then have to start from square 1 again. What keeps you motivated?

The way to avoid newness is accept a few things. Each week a short a mid and a long. Each week make the long run 10% longer then the previous week. Weather doesn't matter, go run. Location doesn't matter(friend in Vermont and she runs almost daily thru winter months, and long distances), go run. Pace doesn't matter, go run. Welcome to the grind, go run. (welcome to the grind you tube video please watch). Age doesn't matter, go run. What matters in all this is one thing....YOU! Doing it is the start, maintaining it is the goal, and enjoying it is the key, so go run.
  • I just finished a half marathon yesterday.
    Feel free to add me.

Also, I started using Runkeeper and it looks like they have a training program you can try as well for free.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Yup! My first 10k is next weekend, and my half marathon training plan starts today- using train like a mother's finish it plan.
  • blaiRloch12
    blaiRloch12 Posts: 4 Member
    Doing my first 10KM on the 24th May - taking it fairly serious with my training runs going up to 13K at peak weeks. Hoping to do the half in October as well.

Feel free to add, im weighing in around 16 stone and hope to be down around 14 for the 10k
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Am training for my first 10K this summer. Have ran a 5K before. I too, run on the treadmill when it is this cold (20 below this weekend where I live)! I try to save movies to watch on my DVR --the more action the better --LOL! But an awesome play list also helps. :smile:
  • RunsSober
    RunsSober Posts: 38
    I completed my first 5K in over 20 years back in December and have a 5K coming up in late March and an 8K in May. After that I will be training for a fall half-marathon. Would love to connect with other runners on MFP as well.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Coming back from a season off due to injury. Was planning to run a half at the end of May, but thanks to a crappy winter now am planning to run/walk that race. Am following Hal Higon's training schedule for the distances, but am doing C210K for the running training on the way out, then just walking the rest of the distance for that training day.

It isn't how I had planned my return to running, but it is better than the alternative!
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Training for a marathon in October!

My goal: to finish before the buses make rounds for people who are past the cut off time.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Just found out I was successful in a ballot for a half marathon in October - it will be my first HM.

In fact - I haven't even done my first 5k yet. Here's my race schedule that I'm training for now;

End of March - 5k
    End of May - 10k
    Mid July - 10k
    Mid October - HM

Hopefully I'll be able to do the distance by October!!!!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    My next scheduled HM isn't until October. But #5 last month didn't go as well as it should have so i may randomly sign up for one in the next month or so. Currently I'm on week 8 of a marathon training plan for my 5k coming up in April and 10k in June.

I try to be a supportive running friend and post frequently about my own training as well. Anyone can add me.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    I am running a 10k this saturday (my sixth) and am currently training for a half marathon on May 31st!

I'd be glad to add you and feel free to ask any questions you'd like about training. I've had to deal with injuries, slumps in workout regimen, etc too, so I'm not perfect, but I'm back and at it strong.

One recommendation if you are not doing it right now, start a weight lifting regimen and do it twice a week. It'll help so much and you'll be amazed at how much easier running is by strength training. And the extra toning that happens with lifting is a nice benefit too :)
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Crystal FR sent. I have 2 days before I finish my 10K trainer app. It will probably be mid April before I run the 10K. How do you keep yourself ready between the 10k's?
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Planning on doing a 10mi this year. Would love to have more runners on my FL. All are welcome to add me.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Half-Marathon at the end of May (last one was Jan 26th....) training officially starts next week (using a Hal Higdon 12 week plan)
    Wow, so great to get so many responses! I have a few questions for everyone:

*I have to start my training on a treadmill, since I live in Vermont and it's super cold and there isn't any shoulder to run on anymore with all the snow. Are there any tips, tricks, etc. that people use to make the treadmill not terrible? I get so bored so fast.

*What has kept you going beyond the initial burst of training? I usually start a new running training program, and when the 'newness' runs out, fall off and then have to start from square 1 again. What keeps you motivated?

It's even colder up here in Ottawa. My cure for the boredom of running on a treadmill is to run outside all year 'round. With the proper clothing (think merino wool & layers) you can run in any weather. I do wimp out and run on the treadmill when there's freezing rain otherwise out I go.

For me the run is it's own reward and what keeps me motivated is appreciating how good it makes me feel and how lucky I am that I can run.

^^THIS..I don't do inside unless freezing and ice on the ground...then I'm lucky, my gym has a cardio theater where they show movies. If I go during a slow time, the front desk girl lets me bring my own. So if you have a tablet with Netflix, I suggest using that with headphones if you HAVE to be inside. I'm currently training for my first half in April.