Negative people AFTER your success??

2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    From what I can see except for the most generous of people, and they are gold, people react badly when you make this sort of life transformation. I chalk it up to two things; projection and changing your social status without their permission or knowledge.

Projection because weight loss and fitness is a major achievement that many people don't get past just dreaming about. You've actually done it. That pretty well blows away any excuses they may have been harboring. You are living evidence of their failure.

Social status because body image is a big thing in our society. As much as we deny it, people's status and whether we pay them any mind at all depends a good deal on how they look. Don't believe me? Watch nearly any one of Melissa McCarthy's movies. The big girl is to be sweet, generous, and never complain. Otherwise she'll have no friends at all. If you change your status, people have to adjust their way of dealing with you, how much attention they give you. This is distressing for many. You would make their lives a lot easier if you went back to the way you were.

I worry about my sister-in-law, a weekend alcoholic. All her friends and her social outlets revolve around the bar. Take away the bar and what has she got? She would need a whole new set of friends. That's pretty drastic and I can understand if she doesn't want to face that change.

Keep all your generous friends.

@GaleHawkins have you ever read the routine list of complications from uncontrolled type 2 diabetes? Heck, cancer is so far down that list it doesn't even rate. Let's talk about increased risk for a heart attack, loss of sensation in the extremities, limb loss, blindness...

I am pretty sure Alzheimer's is totally unrelated to weight loss or diet.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    for sure,,, but you are doing it for you,,, not for anyone else. BE HAPPY.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

@GaleHawkins have you ever read the routine list of complications from uncontrolled type 2 diabetes? Heck, cancer is so far down that list it doesn't even rate. Let's talk about increased risk for a heart attack, loss of sensation in the extremities, limb loss, blindness...

I am pretty sure Alzheimer's is totally unrelated to weight loss or diet.

@jgnatca my objective was to point out when others may put us down for losing weight that we really are doing it to live longer. Diabetes and cancer are common diseases with tremendous impact on health worldwide. Epidemiologic evidence suggests that people with diabetes are at significantly higher risk for many forms of cancer.er healthier lives so such comments must be ignored. Obesity does not insure one will develop Type II diabetes but per the group below it can be a risk factor. While I can not speak to the validity of this organization please read the first paragraph on the second page for the connection with diabetes and Alzheimer's.

alz.org/documents/greaterillinois/ad_diabetes.pdf

jgnatca since some report, "Obesity is responsible for approximately 20% of all malignancies, although its influence is gender and site specific." and obesity can be a factor in developing type 2 diabetes was the medical connection I was trying to make. See the below for the above quote.

Obesity as a Major Risk Factor for Cancer
    hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2013/291546/

Diabetes and Cancer
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2890380/
    "Diabetes and cancer are common diseases with tremendous impact on health worldwide. Epidemiologic evidence suggests that people with diabetes are at significantly higher risk for many forms of cancer."

Diabetes and Risk of Cancer
    http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/583786/
    2.1. Hyperglycemia and Cancer Risk
    "Several prospective studies reported an association of elevated blood glucose with increased overall cancer incidence........Ten-year Korean prospective cohort study enrolling 1,298,385 subjects (64% men) showed a significant increase in all-cancer incidence for DM patients......."
    2.3. Diabetes and Risk Ratio to Cancer
    "In last decades diabetes have been consistently associated with increased risk for broad variety of malignancies."
    6. Mortality
    "....... In addition to increased incidence of cancer, DM diagnosis has also deleterious effects on cancer prognosis."
    7. Discussion
    "Diabetes significantly increases risk for several cancers, as well as it negatively affects the prognosis after cancer diagnosis. Relative risk imposed by DM is greatest (about 2-fold or higher) with regard to liver, pancreas, and endometrium cancer and lower for cancers of kidney, bladder, breast, colorectal, esophagus, biliary tract, and lymphoma."

Based on the above I think anything we can do to prevent obesity or type 2 diabetes in our bodies is worth the effort. If one with diabetes has a 2x greater risk to developing cancer I think if they had this info many would work hard to reverse type 2 diabetes by diet more often.
  • jgnatca
    @GaleHawkins nevertheless diabetics are much more likely to die of complications of their disease; heart attacks the most common.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins nevertheless diabetics are much more likely to die of complications of their disease; heart attacks the most common.

@jgnatca last fall I had three local guys die ages 58, 62 and 69 from diabetes complications that did not include cancer so I am in agreement with your point. Maybe it is just a guy thing to not focus on managing diabetes with meds and diet.
  • jgnatca
    My optometrist checked my eyes for damage a couple years back and they are clear. No scarring of the fine blood vessels. This is after a decade of type 2 diagnosis for me.

She told a story of a prior patient who denied the optometrist's diagnosis, even though she could see the damage. He insisted he did not have diabetes. A few months later he came in, chastened. He'd lost a few toes to the disease.

Denial is a handy mask for fear. It won't save anyone the consequences though.