Question for people who have lost 40 + lbs or more

2»

Replies

• palomahepler
    palomahepler Posts: 1 Member
    That's actually such a good question. I have around 40 lbs to lose (have already lost 10) and need tips to stay motivated
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    1. I've found that you HAVE to log every single day, even if what you eat is horrible. I like to give myself treats throughout the week but make sure I figure them into my daily calorie allotment, instead of having an all out cheat day. Also, its crucial for me to focus on short term goals instead of long term.

2. Since June 2013 I've lost 40 pounds, but that was taking off a few months and not caring. I stopped counting calories from about Sept-January.

3. The hardest part happens every day. Just the mental battle and thinking, "I have so much farther to go" instead of thinking of how far I've already come. Also, temptation is difficult to deal with. My family likes to eat and its hard to say no sometimes.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I see a lot of you guys have lost a great deal of weight (impressive) and I was wondering if you would share 1. What is your strategy / tactics 2. how long did it take and 3. what was the hardest part for you personally?

1 - starting is your first strategy and your first success :) I did a whole lot of researching & reading on here and labels at the grocery store. Once I had a plan..I ran with it. I was determined! I Started with 1200 cals (like most newbies) quickly went to TDEE-% and used that for most of my loss and then stuck to a base number that seemed to work better for me now than previously since my workouts vary now. As of this week - i am entrusting MFP calculations and eating back some of my work out calories.

2. One month shy of a year (with November and December maintain purposely done) so technically 9 months. I have less than 10 pounds now to goal.

3. Trying not to obsess about everything!!! Example of how my mind works "am I over my calories, did I work out enough, did I give myself the right goal, should I follow my macros" all these thoughts ran through my mind constantly. I was and still am obsessing over numbers - no matter how successful i have been I was and still am afraid I was doing it wrong lol Therefore I am forever researching things.

I entrusted MFP community boards and the TDEE - it worked!! I am now entrusting MFP calculators to get me to the finish line. There are days when I just do NOT want to work out...I do it anyways and ALWAYS ALWAYS feel better after I am done!!!

My best advice : research and find a plan that works for you - STICK to it. Find an activity that you enjoy and do it as often as possible!! Never stop looking at labels and be as accurate as possible when logging: this means weighing your food...every morsel ;) It really becomes habit..second nature after awhile :) This needs to be a lifestyle change - not a diet. Diets you start over and over again..life style changes become your life so make it something you can live with!!

I cant live without my coffee - so I make room for it daily!! If there is something you can not live without - moderation is your key. Make room for it in your daily goal and you can have it!
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    One day at a time. And it's OK to make mistakes.

The best advice I can give you is...

* Daily tracking - and be honest. Scales don't (usually) lie! ...

* Exercise often. I have Rheumatory Arthritis and even through my worst pain, I keep moving. It does a body and soul, good!

* Sleep!!!

* Don't deprive yourself. Give in, take a little and move on. Don't let it drive you bat**** like it would me if you didn't!

* Get a support system if you can. I belong to Tops - Take Off Pounds Sensibly. I've met some nice people in my chapter that are supportive to me and great workout buddies!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    One day at a time. And it's OK to make mistakes.

The best advice I can give you is...

* Daily tracking - and be honest. Scales don't (usually) lie! ...

* Exercise often. I have Rheumatory Arthritis and even through my worst pain, I keep moving. It does a body and soul, good!

* Sleep!!!

* Don't deprive yourself. Give in, take a little and move on. Don't let it drive you bat**** like it would me if you didn't!

Right there....Having R.A. and still movjng. Lost 60 lbs in 18 months. Still losing but toning now
  • Leesha97
    Leesha97 Posts: 11 Member
    Over the past two years, I've done a variety of things. Crash dieting (not sustainable), tracking religiously, and completely falling off the wagon. I've never, ever stopped exercising daily. Somehow, over the course of that roller coaster, I've settled on a mostly plant based, reasonable diet and do NOT beat myself up too much when I falter or backslide. That's really the key, don't give up. It's also pretty cool when other people in your life get inspired by watching you and they start changing their eating habits and then you have lots more people to dork out about eating well and living a healthy lifestyle.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    1) I weigh every morning without fail, logging a change when it is sustained over 3+ days.

I am set to "sedentary" and losing 1.5 lb/week so my daily calorie goal is currently 1,270 which sounds awfully low but does not feel like it, especially as I DO eat back exercise calories (more on that below).

I drink a lot of water and I do drink diet soda, but limit myself to 1-4 cans per week. I have 1 cup of coffee every morning and a cup of hot tea a few afternoons per week. I eat everything in moderation, including carbs, sugar, etc. Nothing is banned from my diet although I really do not care to eat cereal, pretzels, potato chips, cake, mac n' cheese, etc - I'd rather "spend" my carbs on things like rice, pasta, frosting, etc...or chocolate ;-)

My exercise is between 1200-2000 calories burned per week but not via organized workouts, DVDs, gym, etc. I hike, bike, and walk. I eat back about 70% of my exercise calories.

I do not really snack. I eat breakfast at 7 am, lunch at 11:30 or 12, and dinner around 5:30-6 with nothing after that most days. Not because I think it is some magical early hour to stop eating. Just because that's when I am hungry and don't feel like eating later so I "use" all of my calories at those 3 meals.

2)

I started out in Nov 2008 at 307 lb, my highest weight ever. Like many others here, I was stabbing in the dark at exercise & "healthy eating" without really knowing what healthy food was, and no clue of how many calories my body needed. That meant a LOT of miles walked and a lot of crazy sporadic calories such as 600 one day, 2,500+ the next day, for several years. Doing that it took me 4+ years to lose my first 45 lb.

Once I joined MFP (March 2013) it was much, much easier to lose steadily and I've lost 71 lb in the past year. I currently weigh 191.

3)

The hardest part for me personally was having no positive feedback when I was losing the first 45 lb mentioned in #2 above. I felt a million times better physically and was so proud of my hard work and progress, but seriously no one noticed and I was still in the same size 22 pants/jeans, and only moved from 3X down to 2X shirts. That was TOUGH. But honestly the past year has been fairly easy to me. I know that sounds overly simplistic...of course there have been times I was bummed that I went over my calories or really wanted to get a patty melt and ate a small omelet with veggies instead. But overall it's been easy and the extreme positive feedback I've received from people around me (which started after only like 7-10 lb lost on MFP) has been super motivating.

Sorry that was a LOT of text. Hope it helps add to your arsenal of info. Best of luck!!!