Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Another question is why is it that anyone that disagrees with the author insisting they are "Just Jealous" or as others have inferred, I'm "Jealous" of the muscle woman because I don't think it's attractive. I don't go around calling people "Jealous" just because they think my job is boring, I don't call people jealous because they don't like blonde hair, or certain clothing or shoe styles, or because they don't have a certain bra size.

I wouldn't say anyone is jealous, and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but going around calling someone "gross" is out of line. That is different than saying "its not my desired look..."
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    wow... bitter much?
    Like going to McDonald's,and complaining about people eating at McDonald's. Don't like what people post about fitness on social media? Don't read it.

This!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And the woman that the author thinks is "gross" in that article....10/10 WB.

Mmmmm. Daddy like.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love my neon workout clothes! Like some lady on the interwebs is going to stop me from wearing it lawls
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I for one am incredibly jealous of the neon, the muscles, the meal prep (mmm all that chicken and asparagus),,,basically I WANT everything in the article that is supposed to be so heinous.

It sounds like the author has some deep-rooted insecurities, and is using belittling people who are enthusiastic about their running/gymming/weight-lifting/prepping to assuage those feelings.
    This article is close to bullying.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You read that article and think it's absolutely true. So you agree with #3.

I think that tells us all we need to know about you. Yeah, you jelly.

Damn all I try to do was get a post going and see what people's thoughts were. I do agree with lots of it maybe because I'm not someone who wants to call attention to every thing I do either and look for praise and validation from others constantly. Quietly doing my thing. And no im not "JELLY" because I would NOT want to look like that for anything in the world, I'd rather have a Kardashian sister body.

If you followed the author on Instagram you'd know she was pretty normal and got hateful posts for posting a normal meal. It's kind of in fun but some of it makes sense. Don't ***** about your "fitness lifestyle" when you secretly want people to praise you for it. There are lots of people that post a pic of a fun meal out at a restaurant or something really good they made and you get "OMG don't eat that" "Oh that sugar will kill you" #nosugarnofat #nothealthy. And from what I see on this thread I guess you and most others here would be the ones to do the same to someone on Instagram or FB.

Maybe some people here are "Jelly" because you don't have a life outside of the gym or calorie counting and can't cut back and let loose and eat the damn slice of cake at your own birthday party

If your opinion of fitbloggers is that they all "secretly want people to praise" them, then that's sort of f*ed to begin with. All of the fitbloggers I've come across do it because it helps keep them accountable and helps motivate their followers. If you don't want to help that person or BE helped by that person, what's the point in following them?

Yes, there are crazy people out there, but they're not reduced down to just fitness people. Again, if someone is posting nonsensical things, why follow them? I've unfriended my cousin because of stupid posts... its really not that difficult to do.

On top of that, the entire article was completely lacking in humor. What she said wasn't funny. There's nothing funny or satirical about calling someone gross or making fun of the clothes they wear. There was nothing tongue in cheek about anything that she said. If she MEANT it like that, then she needs to learn how to write better because it didn't come across as such which is evident by the backlash she's receiving.

And people are personally attacking you for saying that you completely agreed with the article. If you HONESTLY expected to post that and get POSITIVE reactions... you mustn't have realized that this IS a FITNESS forum. Ya know, where people post about fitness and how good and healthy and positive it is. That entire article is the complete opposite of what MFP is.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    OP is annoying.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP is annoying.

The OP lacks intellectual integrity in their posts.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I really, really HATE to keep this post near the top, but…

Did end up reading the article and read some comments…came to this one:

Denise Meltzer
    That girl in the neon pink - she's my daughter. She just wore army camo for the last 5 years- 2 of which were in Afghanistan-so if she wants to wear neon pink every darn place she goes I'm cool with that. Last saturday we went to eat at Mama Santas she ate cavatelli with chicken parmesean then took her little brothers out for ice cream after. She has a very full and interesting life in which fitness and healthy lifestyle play a big role. You may want to learn more about it before you knock the people involved in it. Also she would not judge you or knock you for your lifestyle choices because she's too busy and I must say she was raised better than that ;)
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I asasumed the article to be a joke piece and the author was poking fun at those people on facebook or wherever who start a health / fitness regime and then go all Nazi about it. Doesn't anyone have a sense of humour anymore?

except it's not funny- at all. It's poorly written- incendiary and smacks of condescension and self righteous "betterness"

Funny or not, she is certainly getting her dollar's worth of attention. And in the cut throat world of social media blogging any attention is good attention right?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Woah did they just insult neon? Neon is the best shade of anything.