I'm stronger than my significant other

Replies

• Pixie1076
    Pixie1076 Posts: 20
    I just found myself in a similar situation and came across this thread when I searched around to see how others dealt with it. I have been going to the gym for several years and my daughter joined me last year.

My husband isn't interested in joining us. He isn't overweight and I never put much thought into it.

Then yesterday when we were all out in the yard to work on some stuff and my husband went inside to get some drinks my daughter joked that I look buffer than him. I joked that we should try to coax him into playing arm wrestling. Apparently she took the joke serious and nagged him all afternoon to try it with her until he have in. They tried it later when we got back in the house. They were pretty even. My daughter barely won with one arm and it was undecided with the other.

I didn't try the arm wrestling with him myself, but I'm sure if my daughter did that well I wouldn't have a problem to beat him.
  • gthjkiluoade
    gthjkiluoade Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not sure if my wife is stronger than me, but I would LOVE it if she was! I love strong women, it turns me on! The first time we arm wrestled, I let her win, then told her how strong she was… now I encourage her to lift!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Congrats!

I still need to really start on my strenght training journey, but my goals are to eventually be better at push ups and possibly win arm wrestling from my boyfriend. He also does completely no exercise, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    Meh, it's an ego thing, like so much stuff in relationships. If it bothers you (plural), fix it. If you can't fix it, reassess your relationship.

Would it bother you if your GF was taller than you?
    Would it bother if your wife made more money than you? (mine did for a long time! And we both have the same graduate degree).
    Would it bother if she ran 10 km faster than you? 100 m?
    Would it bother if she beat you at scrabble? At chess? At trivial pursuit? I played chess at the national level and one of my mates had a beautiful GF who was also very strong at chess. at 18 years old, that was remarkably shocking to me but we all became good mates.

I am a fairly active amateur cyclist. My wife is not into sport competition, but is otherwise very competitive (academic scholarships, coveted job positions, excellent work history, etc.) so this is not directly an issue - BUT we have a handful of women in our cycling community that are elite and definitely could kick their significant other's hineys on the bike. It doesn't seem to be that important to them. It wouldn't bother me that she was stronger, it would bother me if I had let myself become sedentary, overweight and weak :)

My sister used to date a national-class triathlete. She was 5' 10", and about 120 lb, semi-pro dancer. Her ex-boyfriend was maybe 5' 6" and 100 lb. If you measure strength by lifting boxes my money was on her. They still had a very successful relationship for 5 years before they broke up to emigrate to different places. They were hilarious going out when my sister wore heels - and again, didn't seem to bother them. The guy was funny, intelligent and nice on top of being a national-level athlete. That made me understand that some of our social conventions are useless.

Ok I tried to get an applause gif going. Fail for me but excellent reply.

OK

me_and_my_roommates_just_noticed_firefly_started_a_new_season-11946.gif
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    If I dated a girl that was stronger than me, she would be one bad a** chick! So in which case, h*ll yeah that'd be fine with me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    My husband is stronger than me, but I'm meaner and I fight dirty.
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Yes it would bother me ... I love fit, buff women but there is a limit
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Throughout my relationship their have been moments when our strengths were pretty even-and I have kicked his *kitten* a few times. I'm an inch taller and a workout fiend, he is not. He's mentioned how he used to let me win when we wrestle, and now he's like "holy *kitten*" and actually has to try.

He thinks it's super hot that I lift, and says I showed him how sexy muscles are on women. And we always have awesome sexy-time after a good tussle, regardless of who wins. So I don't think he minds that I'm strong
  • slaite1
    lithezebra wrote: »

Hahaha this too!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If my SO could lift more than me, I would off myself. There is no chance.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Wow, this is an old thread.

Anyway, I can't imagine I'll ever be stronger than my husband, barring some sort of illness or injury. He's 6'2" to my 5'6" and anywhere from 50-80 pounds heavier. He will casually say something about me being stronger than him but I know he's blowing smoke because on the one attempt we made to lift together he admitted that what I bench now is what he benched in 7th grade.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I think it's awesome. My wife has been in better shape than me for the past decade despite giving birth to 3 kids and I'm finally getting back in pace with her. I'm stronger, but also nearly 2x her size, but she does TRX 5x/week, so a different focus. I'm trying to convince her to complete a Spartan together.
  • slaite1
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I think it's awesome. My wife has been in better shape than me for the past decade despite giving birth to 3 kids and I'm finally getting back in pace with her. I'm stronger, but also nearly 2x her size, but she does TRX 5x/week, so a different focus. I'm trying to convince her to complete a Spartan together.

Do it! My BF and I did a tough mudder together and it is one of the best experiences we have had
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »

Do it! My BF and I did a tough mudder together and it is one of the best experiences we have had

I've done a few, but she's not convinced she could finish. I talked to her TRX trainer who explained that she basically does this in a session. We're signing up for the next race in Milwaukee :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 wrote: »

I've done a few, but she's not convinced she could finish. I talked to her TRX trainer who explained that she basically does this in a session. We're signing up for the next race in Milwaukee :)

That's awesome! We weren't in top shape when we did it and it was still a blast.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    This is my goal - the main reason I am lifting at the moment..haha!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »

Lol I think I fall into this category as well...a win by any means necessary.

But to the original (old) question...there's no way I could ever be stronger than him. He's got 80 pounds and 8 inches on me with a history of serious weight lifting. But I've far surpassed him in cardio vascular ability. It ain't even close. On the rare occasion he agrees to run with me, I have to go slower, run ahead and run back to him. He could train his butt off and never be able to swim like me either. None of these things make him ashamed. He's pretty proud of my dedication considering he started off being the better runner and I was sucking air after 30 seconds.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I have worked out with girlfriends most of the time.

Never had one close to the same strength. But I ran the obstacle courses in the military a few times a week.

It is awesome to share that feeling of meeting your new personal best with my gf.

Wrestling is always fun :) Wearing the other one out was always a fun objective!

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Colli78 wrote: »
    Here's my question... Guys would it bother you if your wife or girlfriend was stronger than you?

My first wife was stronger than me when we first met. I was 20 years old and skinny. She was athletic and went to college on sports scholarships.

It bothered me, but not enough to affect the relationship.

Then we both got fat and divorced.

Now I'm two years into strength training. I'm married to a woman who is ripped. I'm stronger than her by quite a bit. It feels... normal.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    I'd be impressed. I can't say I'd be bothered by it, but it might drive me to be competitive about it.