What's your favorite part of working out?

124»

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Must be nice. I wish I felt that way.
    When it is OVER.

why do I feel like the only one here who hates when my workout is over?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    The 11th minute when I've warmed up and am feeling the energy kick in.
  • ValGogo
    dead lifts

and pull ups.

and my vanity that says I can do things you can't (you being general you- not OP specifically)

I love deadlifts. One question. I can't pull myself up to save my life. Will I ever be able to do it? I have to lose some mass so that's the first thing, but aside from core strength, how can I start helping myself get ready for pull ups one day? I'm not into cross-fit. Just normal HIIT, cardio, free weights, etc.
  • ValGogo
    When it is OVER.

You're not alone Rocka. I had to take a day off because my left knee and foot hurt like hell and it felt awful not working out. I'm going to Planet Fitness today after work to do some weight work and give my foot a break. And even so, I still walked to work.

It's nothing personal to the other folks, but it really irks me to know how much todays human hates to do anything physical.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    sweating and the burn! ;) and the RESULTS!
  • ValGogo
    My favourite part has to be that mid point where you get that sudden rush of energy. I always start out pushing myself, then about 7 mins in feel like it's really hard work, and surely time is moving faster than that! But around the 10-12min mark it just goes BAM and all of a sudden the music is bouncier, I feel lighter and like everything is working how it should and I'm enjoying myself. Trick is to ride that feeling out till it just starts to wear off and then go do something else before you bottom out again.

Next best part is when it's done and you feel sore all over and know you've made the most of your time and put in a decent effort.

That happened to me about 4 days ago. I was doing a tough HIIT and a few minutes before that I was "OMG kill me" but a few minutes after, it just crept up on me, that energy push, that good feeling that I was defintely goingt o finish strong.

It's a great feeling, n'est pas?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dead lifts

and pull ups.

and my vanity that says I can do things you can't (you being general you- not OP specifically)

I love deadlifts. One question. I can't pull myself up to save my life. Will I ever be able to do it? I have to lose some mass so that's the first thing, but aside from core strength, how can I start helping myself get ready for pull ups one day? I'm not into cross-fit. Just normal HIIT, cardio, free weights, etc.

well you don't get ready for pull ups one day- you just start working the muscles you need to DO a pull up and after training them they come.
    1.) you need strength
    2.) you need technique

> Negative pull ups- get to the bar SOME how- and lower yourself as slowly as possible.
    > BB/DB rows
    > Lat Pull Downs
    > Cable Rows
    > Lat press downs
    > Inverted Rows (get under a bar and pull yourself up to it)
    > Assisted Band Pull ups
    > Self Assisted/Chair pull ups
    > Pull up machine (last on the list on purpose- it's not very helpful for actually training)

It'll come- you just have to really do the work for it.
    You're not alone Rocka. I had to take a day off because my left knee and foot hurt like hell and it felt awful not working out. I'm going to Planet Fitness today after work to do some weight work and give my foot a break. And even so, I still walked to work.

It's nothing personal to the other folks, but it really irks me to know how much todays human hates to do anything physical.
    yeah- I kind of really like it- it's one of the best parts of my day- I used to spend over 20 hrs a week at the gym (I worked there but...) I was there a lot longer than I needed to be- It's like a second home to me. Everyone knows you are doing work- and they can all emphatize or give you that pump of motivation when you are struggling with the last rep.
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Making progress.

I love being able to try something, and then actually be able to do it in a few months. It's like the biggest high to me.

I also like what working out does for my body and how easy some things seem now.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Seeing myself get stronger each time I do the workout then after a while when you've done it for a while it becomes a walk in the park an you have to change your workout to your next challenge.

I also love the energised feeling I get after I've finished working out.
  • ValGogo
    dead lifts

and pull ups.

well you don't get ready for pull ups one day- you just start working the muscles you need to DO a pull up and after training them they come.
    1.) you need strength
    2.) you need technique

> Negative pull ups- get to the bar SOME how- and lower yourself as slowly as possible.
    > BB/DB rows
    > Lat Pull Downs
    > Cable Rows
    > Lat press downs
    > Inverted Rows (get under a bar and pull yourself up to it)
    > Assisted Band Pull ups
    > Self Assisted/Chair pull ups
    > Pull up machine (last on the list on purpose- it's not very helpful for actually training)

It'll come- you just have to really do the work for it.

yeah- I kind of really like it- it's one of the best parts of my day- I used to spend over 20 hrs a week at the gym (I worked there but...) I was there a lot longer than I needed to be- It's like a second home to me. Everyone knows you are doing work- and they can all emphatize or give you that pump of motivation when you are struggling with the last rep.

Yeah, thanks for the exercises. I'm printing it out. That's what I meant; I need to work my way into it.

I mean, you never know when you are going to be hanging onto the side of a mountain with the Chechens chasing and shooting at you. You have to be able to hold on and pull yourself over the edge in order to ski down the mountain and save the day. Oh, wait, that was Vin Diesel in XXX.

Anyway, I will keep ya posted on my progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    The burn, the pain and the feeling of accomplishment after I'm done. We do what 60% of the US doesn't bother with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • the feeling of accomplishment!!! sweaty, sweaty accomplishment! lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    First and foremost, it is me time. It is the only time that I get to be selfish and just worry about me.
    The rest in no particular order:
    More food
    Progress
    Real life being easier (ei. no more 2 trips to get the laundry upstairs because it was too full)
    Feeling of accomplishment
    Being a good role model for my kids
    Having more energy
    Higher sex drive (ok so that's probably what my husband likes the most about me working out)
    Being more comfortable in my own skin

I could probably keep going but I will spare you.
  • BreAnn267
    BreAnn267 Posts: 46
    I like to workout because if I don't I feel guilty....and the best part is knowing that I did what I set out to do.
  • danaph3681
    danaph3681 Posts: 13 Member
    RESULTS! That is my favorite part.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Didn't read the whole thread...but my favorite part is when the workout is over. I like the way I feel when I'm done.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    When it is OVER.

You're not! I would spend twice as much time at the gym if I could fit it in my schedule.

And what do I love about it? I love the sweat and the work. KNOWING that I am just one more step, one more pull and one more press to my goal.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I Absolutely LOVE Love Love Volleyball, always have! I would play it even if I wasn't trying to exercise and eat right! I can play until my body gives out or gets tired! Last Friday I played for over 4 hours! So Fun!

Blocked a guy on Tuesday night, BOOM, Hit it hard and the other team couldn't return it, BOOM! Love the challenge, the more competitive, tall, better and hard hitting the other team the Harder I want to play!

***Of course, I can't play every night, my shoulder wouldn't let me (old lady) :-D
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Breezing past the brahs who look confused that I'm not with the cardio bunnies then *POW* squat my own body weight on the rack. Gives me the warm fuzzies :flowerforyou:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    I just realized I'm not far from being able to squat my own body weight. When I weighed more, it seemed an impossible goal, but now I'm only a few pounds away from doing it!