Lifting newbie + Epic Fail

Options
2»

Replies

• kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    From what I've read online it seems the majority agree that the goblet squat with either dumbbell or kettlebell is an excellent way to start your squatting journey, it teaches you correct form and body position as the positioning of the weight against your chest forces you into using the correct motion.
    Don't worry about feeling weak. I had a look at that website someone linked to about what weights we should be lifting for our level of experience and weight and I'm not even touching novice on any of them, really puts a huge dent in your male ego that does, but I'm not gonna let it stop me, I'll use it to inspire me and spur me on instead.
    Good luck with your journey.
  • rrrnda
    rrrnda Posts: 8
    Options
    I am a beginner too. I have actually gone to the gym with my daughter and she has taught me a lot. I have also tried push-ups but modified, girl ones. I was shown to do it with my knees on floor and my legs at a perpendicular line to the floor. This worked my arms and chest pretty good and I felt like I was accomplishing something. I really like these. I also use machines, but try the barbells when I can, as long as somebody spots me. If you have a workout buddy, get them to "help" you lift the bar by guiding it while you lift. Also, get suggestions from the gym staff. Hope I gave good information. If I didn't, please someone tell me so I can benefit from proper suggestions too.
    Thanks.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I started using the "body bars" because the olympic bar was too heavy. You have to start somewhere!

You'll get there before you know it.