A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Replies

• kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Do you guys act like this in real life?

Because sometimes it feels like a schmarmy high school comedy in here -- I expect Lindsay Lohan or Seth Rogen to jump out with a clever one liner to bring some comic relief to all the inanity. If most of you are 15, I guess that would make sense. For those that are actually older than 25 or so, do you act like this in your real lives as well? People really keep gifs around to post on message boards?

Perhaps I'm just new to such an internet message board, but this place is both fascinating and mildly abhorrent at the same time.

bahahahahha this is amusing…you list how you are superior to everyone and then accuse the rest of us of "immaturity" …oh the irony!

30tiedc.gif
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    calorie.gif

Yes, but how many Big Macs to fuel the average person on an 88 mile walk?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    People really keep gifs around to post on message boards?

No one keeps gifs around...it's called google. Takes no time.

giphy.gif

and besides...gifs are fun...
    godzilla-2.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    calorie.gif

I think humans are a lot more energy efficient than cars, and can walk more than 88 miles on 217 big macs

this is a testable hypothesis. because science. and big macs (okay I actually like mcroyals and big tasty's better than bigmacs but never mind...)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    30tiedc.gif

raspberry.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    tumblr_m5e7jqOdl21r7yhtz.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Because sometimes it feels like a schmarmy high school comedy in here -- I expect Lindsay Lohan or Seth Rogen to jump out with a clever one liner to bring some comic relief to all the inanity. If most of you are 15, I guess that would make sense. For those that are actually older than 25 or so, do you act like this in your real lives as well? People really keep gifs around to post on message boards?

Perhaps I'm just new to such an internet message board, but this place is both fascinating and mildly abhorrent at the same time.

large.jpg
  • kjo9692
    30tiedc.gif

raspberry.gif

rlb09g.gif
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member

bahahahahha this is amusing…you list how you are superior to everyone and then accuse the rest of us of "immaturity" …oh the irony!

Ah, I get it now. I guess I am pretty dense.

I never would have taken someone's counter to being called dumb with evidence to the contrary about their education or IQ to be a statement implying my inferiority. Never would have occurred to me. Man, that's rough.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    30tiedc.gif

raspberry.gif

rlb09g.gif

stick-out-tongue-contest.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    jennifer-lawrence-sticking-out-her-tongue.gif
    large.gif
    4688fc0916767b29f1e4a07f55fc1a38.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    Einstein did it the best....

Einstein_tongue.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    For the big macs -
    wBsRWDkl.jpg

On the protein being a 'better calorie', some have suggested that protein should be counted as 3.2g / calorie rather than 4g.

In the end, it IS Calories in vs Calories Out. The trick is getting a slight understanding of what both figures might be :).
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Einstein did it the best....

Einstein_tongue.jpg

the worst was searching thru all the Miley sticking her tongue out gifs to find any good ones...
    tumblr_lz7jbrVKUh1rps6iho1_400.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    nothing here to see folks...keep moving along...

1d38007b_tumblr_lh52r8FFry1qhwx3io1_500.gif
  • kjo9692
    292xpa9.jpg
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    calorie.gif

I think humans are a lot more energy efficient than cars, and can walk more than 88 miles on 217 big macs

this is a testable hypothesis. because science. and big macs (okay I actually like mcroyals and big tasty's better than bigmacs but never mind...)
    217 Big Macs will give a 155 pound person enough fuel to walk 1,550 miles, walking at 3 miles per hour. 12 Big Macs to walk 88 miles. This is way more fun than the original topic, I'd say more interesting, also. :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    How many big macs to push a car 88 miles, however?

Think we'll have to say on the flat or it'll get horribly complicated.

Maybe tow a car with a push bike so you've got some gearing and can get a little speed up?
  • neandermagnon
    calorie.gif

Well I just read that the Roman Army would march 20 miles in 5 hours. so 88 miles is 22 hours of marching (albeit with rest and sleep breaks in between, but we won't count those as actual calories required to march on) .... According to MFP's exercise calculator, that's 15,174 calories.

1 big mac is 550 calories. that's 27.5 big macs for one Roman soldier to march that far. A car requires 217 big macs to go the same distance.
  • neandermagnon
    calorie.gif

217 Big Macs will give a 155 pound person enough fuel to walk 1,550 miles, walking at 3 miles per hour. 12 Big Macs to walk 88 miles. This is way more fun than the original topic, I'd say more interesting, also. :laugh:

I missed this when I posted mine, probably because I got sidetracked on the internet sites about the Roman army

I trust your maths more than I trust my own, and I suspect that the Roman Army thing was an unnecessary route for calculating this maths. Plus I'm tired and ill so maths errors are very likely right now lol

ETA: I remember in my calculation something about 88 miles in 5 hrs, maybe that accounts for the extra big macs, or maybe because the Roman soldiers had to carry all their equipment.

Or most likely I got the maths wrong :laugh:

And yes I agree this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting than the original topic!!