A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Yeah, I guess I just don't get it.

Chris Rock, he's funny. Eddie Murphy's Raw -- a classic. Chappelle Show, Louis C.K. -- hilarious. Most of the gifs and 12 year old mocking, not particularly funny. I guess that's just me.

stop taking everything so seriously. everyone else is trying to lighten up the atmosphere with some funny gifs

Other than the posts taking the mick out of you for claiming your high IQ and education as the reason why you must be right, stop taking things so personally. And on that, if you can't see how arrogant, obnoxious and condescending that post was, then the problem isn't the other people here poking fun at the post. Casting further aspersions about the intelligence and maturity of the others here isn't helping your case. Also, most of the people you said that to probably have a similar level of intelligence and education to you, but you just assumed you're the only one on the thread with a degree and high IQ. Lastly, trying to win an argument by appeal to authority, any authority - whether your own qualifications or saying "so and so said so and she's a professor" or even "God told me I was right" - is not a logical argument. No-one is right about everything. Even university professors disagree and can be wrong about stuff, and you won't find "I must be right because I'm a university professor and you're not" in any peer reviewed journal article.

Sometimes it's better just to say you made a mistake, you didn't realise how what you said would be taken, and then laugh about it.

I really think you need to go back and look at the origin of that post. It did not originate that way.

Someone insinuated I was wrong and/or dumb based on the sheer number of people disagreeing with me. Since 15 people supposedly agreed with him and not me, he must be right. I disputed that by simply challenging the group of people and providing some background about myself. Sheer number of people in disagreement means little to me.

But then some want to ignore that context and jump on the "you're insulting me!" bandwagon. There are some very smart people on this thread but there are also some very insecure, not bright people judging from the quality of the responses. No one else's intelligence, degrees, etc. are a threat to my own. Mine speak for themselves as do those of others.

Attack the argument, not the individual. And that's exactly what I did -- the argument was 15 vs 1 = we must be right, you must be wrong. That's a weak argument. What happened in response from many was decidedly different.

*facepalm*

this is never going to end…

Since I am the person that you are referring to lets just go ahead and set the record straight:

I said that the rest of us must be too stupid to recognize how brilliant you are = sarcasm. I never once said you were "dumb"…

I then suggested - again in a sarcastic manner - that you might want to look around and realize that not one person is agreeing with anything that you are saying, which would tend to imply that you are wrong, off base, or all of the above.

I also mentioned that you had contradicted yourself several times, and every time that you were called on it you just kept saying "you misquoted me" "you do not understand me"…

To which you went off on some rant about how smart you are and how you are in the top 1%, graduated from a top institution etc etc….You are the one that brought your intellectual superiority into the discussion and then used that to try to disqualify everyone else.

For the record, I I have a masters degree, graduated with honors, made the deans list, national honors society, and run/own my own small business < does that qualify me to play?????
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Do you guys act like this in real life?

Because sometimes it feels like a schmarmy high school comedy in here -- I expect Lindsay Lohan or Seth Rogen to jump out with a clever one liner to bring some comic relief to all the inanity. If most of you are 15, I guess that would make sense. For those that are actually older than 25 or so, do you act like this in your real lives as well? People really keep gifs around to post on message boards?

Perhaps I'm just new to such an internet message board, but this place is both fascinating and mildly abhorrent at the same time.

bahahahahha this is amusing…you list how you are superior to everyone and then accuse the rest of us of "immaturity" …oh the irony!

Ah, I get it now. I guess I am pretty dense.

I never would have taken someone's counter to being called dumb with evidence to the contrary about their education or IQ to be a statement implying my inferiority. Never would have occurred to me. Man, that's rough.

Huh. Really?

"I'm right because I'm smarter than all of you". If one of us had said that to you, you wouldn't have found that insulting or inferred that we were implying you were inferior intellectually?
    I call bull****.

I think I was right based on the content of my arguments. Some said I must be mistaken and not understand the underlying issues or able to interpret the studies. I backed up my assertions several times with examples and explanations. Some (like Milk flax) said they followed but disagreed in certain issues and we had some meaningful exchanges. They didn't jump to the bs herd mentality of "15 agree with me!" as a basis for their argument or offer up erudite assertions such as "na na na na", as compelling as that is.

Having meaningful exchanges with people like that is why I come here even if I have to put up with the drivel of so many others (not implying you).
  • lindsey1979

Chris Rock, he's funny. Eddie Murphy's Raw -- a classic. Chappelle Show, Louis C.K. -- hilarious. Most of the gifs and 12 year old mocking, not particularly funny. I guess that's just me.

stop taking everything so seriously. everyone else is trying to lighten up the atmosphere with some funny gifs

Other than the posts taking the mick out of you for claiming your high IQ and education as the reason why you must be right, stop taking things so personally. And on that, if you can't see how arrogant, obnoxious and condescending that post was, then the problem isn't the other people here poking fun at the post. Casting further aspersions about the intelligence and maturity of the others here isn't helping your case. Also, most of the people you said that to probably have a similar level of intelligence and education to you, but you just assumed you're the only one on the thread with a degree and high IQ. Lastly, trying to win an argument by appeal to authority, any authority - whether your own qualifications or saying "so and so said so and she's a professor" or even "God told me I was right" - is not a logical argument. No-one is right about everything. Even university professors disagree and can be wrong about stuff, and you won't find "I must be right because I'm a university professor and you're not" in any peer reviewed journal article.

Sometimes it's better just to say you made a mistake, you didn't realise how what you said would be taken, and then laugh about it.

I really think you need to go back and look at the origin of that post. It did not originate that way.

Someone insinuated I was wrong and/or dumb based on the sheer number of people disagreeing with me. Since 15 people supposedly agreed with him and not me, he must be right. I disputed that by simply challenging the group of people and providing some background about myself. Sheer number of people in disagreement means little to me.

But then some want to ignore that context and jump on the "you're insulting me!" bandwagon. There are some very smart people on this thread but there are also some very insecure, not bright people judging from the quality of the responses. No one else's intelligence, degrees, etc. are a threat to my own. Mine speak for themselves as do those of others.

Attack the argument, not the individual. And that's exactly what I did -- the argument was 15 vs 1 = we must be right, you must be wrong. That's a weak argument. What happened in response from many was decidedly different.

*facepalm*

Since I am the person that you are referring to lets just go ahead and set the record straight:

I said that the rest of us must be too stupid to recognize how brilliant you are = sarcasm. I never once said you were "dumb"…

I then suggested - again in a sarcastic manner - that you might want to look around and realize that not one person is agreeing with anything that you are saying, which would tend to imply that you are wrong, off base, or all of the above.

I also mentioned that you had contradicted yourself several times, and every time that you were called on it you just kept saying "you misquoted me" "you do not understand me"…

To which you went off on some rant about how smart you are and how you are in the top 1%, graduated from a top institution etc etc….You are the one that brought your intellectual superiority into the discussion and then used that to try to disqualify everyone else.

For the record, I I have a masters degree, graduated with honors, made the deans list, national honors society, and run/own my own small business < does that qualify me to play?????

Anyone can play, but you certainly presented yourself as a bullying jerk, at least in my eyes. That seems to be a totally acceptable thing around here, so I'm not surprised. I've never heard a herd mentality argument presented in real life in any respected, professional forum. Only on places like this.

If you conduct yourself like that in real life, I imagine you must be well respected by your peers.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    5243.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Then you should have debated on the merits of the subject and not tried to use your alleged IQ or degree to support your arguments. Now, that is a weak argument. Appeals to authority are bad enough, appeals to your own are even worse.

A debate and the points made by someone in that debate should stand on their own, otherwise it is just a house of cards.
  • ndj1979

*facepalm*

Anyone can play, but you certainly presented yourself as a bullying jerk, at least in my eyes. That seems to be a totally acceptable thing around here, so I'm not surprised. I've never heard a herd mentality argument presented in real life in any respected, professional forum. Only on places like this.

If you conduct yourself like that in real life, I imagine you must be well respected by your peers.

ahhh yess..the bully accusation ..that train is never late …

for someone who does not like name calling, you sure like to sling them out …

ETA - if this is similar to your real life attitude, you must lead a lonely existence…In my experience, the "know it alls" are always the most annoying members of any group and/or social circle...
  • lindsey1979

Then you should have debated on the merits of the subject and not tried to use your alleged IQ or degree to support your arguments. Now, that is a weak argument. Appeals to authority are bad enough, appeals to your own are even worse.

A debate and the points made by someone in that debate should stand on their own, otherwise it is just a house of cards.

That's what I did. I didn't bring up any credentials until someone brought up the whole 15 vs. 1 issue -- and then I attacked that argument (i.e. that sheer numbers in and of themselves are not persuasive -- you have to look at the underlying credibility of those numbers).
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    tumblr_lymrkiuu9d1qbfgm3o1_500.gif
  • lindsey1979

*facepalm*

ahhh yess..the bully accusation ..that train is never late …

for someone who does not like name calling, you sure like to sling them out …

ETA - if this is similar to your real life attitude, you must lead a lonely existence…In my experience, the "know it alls" are always the most annoying members of any group and/or social circle...

I don't think I'm a know-it-all. I think that I know certain things. I defer to those with experience and expertise in other matters and ask questions so I can gain more knowledge and understanding. I don't mock or ridicule them or blast them with herd mentality argruments.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Because sometimes it feels like a schmarmy high school comedy in here -- I expect Lindsay Lohan or Seth Rogen to jump out with a clever one liner to bring some comic relief to all the inanity. If most of you are 15, I guess that would make sense. For those that are actually older than 25 or so, do you act like this in your real lives as well? People really keep gifs around to post on message boards?

Perhaps I'm just new to such an internet message board, but this place is both fascinating and mildly abhorrent at the same time.

bahahahahha this is amusing…you list how you are superior to everyone and then accuse the rest of us of "immaturity" …oh the irony!

I never would have taken someone's counter to being called dumb with evidence to the contrary about their education or IQ to be a statement implying my inferiority. Never would have occurred to me. Man, that's rough.

Huh. Really?

"I'm right because I'm smarter than all of you". If one of us had said that to you, you wouldn't have found that insulting or inferred that we were implying you were inferior intellectually?
    I call bull****.

I think I was right based on the content of my arguments. Some said I must be mistaken and not understand the underlying issues or able to interpret the studies. I backed up my assertions several times with examples and explanations. Some (like Milk flax) said they followed but disagreed in certain issues and we had some meaningful exchanges. They didn't jump to the bs herd mentality of "15 agree with me!" as a basis for their argument or offer up erudite assertions such as "na na na na", as compelling as that is.

Having meaningful exchanges with people like that is why I come here even if I have to put up with the drivel of so many others (not implying you).

The worst part is that you disagreed with me twice and then agreed with neandermagnon when presented with the exact same argument I gave you. Later, when someone else also found an article to quote and link agreeing that "a calorie is just a calorie" and then also presented information about macros and their importance to diet, you completely ignored that. You're all over the map. When several of us pointed out such things to you, that's when you pulled out the degrees and IQ stuff. It makes you sound insecure and vain and unable to admit that you might be wrong. Or even unable to meet some of us in the middle.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    There's an undercurrent of crazed determination in here. It freaks me out a little bit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Jon%20Stewart%20Hiding%20Gif.gif
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    tumblr_lymrkiuu9d1qbfgm3o1_500.gif

+1
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    giphy.gif
  • lindsey1979

Huh. Really?

I call bull****.

The worst part is that you disagreed with me twice and then agreed with neandermagnon when presented with the exact same argument I gave you. Later, when someone else also found an article to quote and link agreeing that "a calorie is just a calorie" and then also presented information about macros and their importance to diet, you completely ignored that. You're all over the map. When several of us pointed out such things to you, that's when you pulled out the degrees and IQ stuff. It makes you sound insecure and vain and unable to admit that you might be wrong. Or even unable to meet some of us in the middle.

And that's why I don't think we're saying the same thing. The whole point I was trying to make from the very beginning was that the content of calories matter when speaking of weight loss, metabolism, etc. That in that context not all calories are created equal (which would not be the case in a purely physicist way from the law of thermodynamics). So, although caloric deficit is important (and likely essential), it's not the ONLY factor that's important to the weight loss equation.

I believe I've consistently said that time and time again.

Some, split hairs a little differently and say caloric content is only important to body composition. Although I agree with that statement, I think body composition is an essential part of the equation when you're discussing weight loss because how much weight you lose will be determined by the composition of what you lose (i.e. fat vs. muscle). And what you lose may also impact part of the equation going forward as metabolism may be affected (i.e. if you lose more muscle, your metabolism will slow versus someone that retained more muscle since muscle burns more calories than fat).

Some either just don't understand that differentiation or are being intentionally obtuse with semantics. But, I believe I've been 100% consistent on that throughout. When someone challenged that, I explained it further and showed how it was consistent. Some call that back pedaling or being all over the place ,when to me, it's just clarification.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    tumblr_lzvlydJsN31qa6lp8.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    tumblr_m3w91ydtYP1r794tp.gif
  • ndj1979

Huh. Really?

I call bull****.

And that's why I don't think we're saying the same thing. The whole point I was trying to make from the very beginning was that the content of calories matter when speaking of weight loss, metabolism, etc. That in that context not all calories are created equal (which would not be the case in a purely physicist way from the law of thermodynamics). So, although caloric deficit is important (and likely essential), it's not the ONLY factor that's important to the weight loss equation.

I believe I've consistently said that time and time again.

Some, split hairs a little differently and say caloric content is only important to body composition. Although I agree with that statement, I think body composition is an essential part of the equation when you're discussing weight loss because how much weight you lose will be determined by the composition of what you lose (i.e. fat vs. muscle). And what you lose may also impact part of the equation going forward as metabolism may be affected (i.e. if you lose more muscle, your metabolism will slow versus someone that retained more muscle since muscle burns more calories than fat).

Some either just don't understand that differentiation or are being intentionally obtuse with semantics. But, I believe I've been 100% consistent on that throughout. When someone challenged that, I explained it further and showed how it was consistent. Some call that back pedaling or being all over the place ,when to me, it's just clarification.

LOL deja vu all over again …

Told ya, she is never wrong…and has been 100% consistent….
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    2013-11-1818_10_51.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    inzwu1b3gfqet.gif?w=1000