large or small breakfast to lose weight?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

That's not true. Also, your body burns calories just being alive... Unless after the 4 hour Window. ..zombies

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burns calories. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.

Then I must be a mutant because I go well over 4 hours without eating ALL the time and lost 50 lbs doing so. My key was staying in my calorie limits.

Well you must be a mutant then because I stand by my experience as well. If anyone cares to research then they would find most health experts do not recommend going more than 4 hours without food, especially if a person wants to lost weight. In order to lose in a healthy manner, metabolism must be up. In order for that to happen, the blood sugar level must be balanced. In order for that to happen, a person should each healthy at regular intervals throughout the day. I have lost 45lbs doing it this way on Sparkpeople.com and 5 lbs since joing this board again.

The only correlation I can see is by spacing your meals out this way, it is preferable for you and helps you adhere to your diet. That's great, I'm happy for you but there are other ways in which people sustain their hunger levels. This is very personal. There's tons of people who practice intermittent fasting and they also lose well. The point being, do what works for you.

The correlation is not just in spacing your meals. It also relates to the type of weight a person loses as well - water, fat, and muscle mass. Losing weight is not the issue. Losing fat and maintaining a health weight are the goals here. Furthermore, you don't know if those "tons" of people who practice intermittent fasting are losing well or healthy just because they are losing weight. The same point could be stated to you. You do whatever floats your boat as well!

I am glad you had success... that said, you really have no understanding of the metabolism.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I have a right to my opinions just like the rest of you.

So then you admit that it is only an opinion...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    A four hour window is a long time for some people to go without food if their goal is to lose weight.

Ah and there are the magic words... FOR SOME PEOPLE. Clearly, not all of us.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine varies from day to day.

That said I do eat the bulk of my cals between breakfast and lunch and snacks. Dinner is always light and I try not to eat after 7 pm.

For me, the more protein and fat I eat the less hungry I am later in the day! Late night snacks can be many peoples downfall!
  • J72FIT
    Options
    OP: eat in a manner in which you are most likely to adhere to your calorie/macro targets and which gives you the most energy throughout the day and for your workouts. That far far exceeds any possible theoretical direct benefit of how you time your meals throughout the day.

Amen...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Mine varies from day to day.

That said I do eat the bulk of my cals between breakfast and lunch and snacks. Dinner is always light and I try not to eat after 7 pm.

For me, the more protein and fat I eat the less hungry I am later in the day! Late night snacks can be many peoples downfall!

This is the way it works for me, too.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If its a none exercise morning, i just tend to have a couple of eggs, spinach and yakult. If its a exercise morning then its a yakult before i exercise and a big 450 calorie pot of overnight oats and some protein powder

(i love exercise mornings as i get to eat something quite tasty instead of eggs and spinach)