Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Please can you help me with getting the most out of the food logging? I’ve tried searching for foods the way that you have described it and my screen looks nothing like yours.... I also can’t find the “confirmations” that you refer to. Where do I find this?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Please can you help me with getting the most out of the food logging? I’ve tried searching for foods the way that you have described it and my screen looks nothing like yours.... I also can’t find the “confirmations” that you refer to. Where do I find this?

The screenshots in the OP are the food diary on the website, if you are using the app it will look different (I'm not sure the app was even widely available when the OP was made in 2014).

It looks like MFP has done away with the confirmations being visible, now it just has the green checkmark. And the asterisks are long gone as well.

Regardless, I think the general ideas are still accurate, you just have to translate them to whatever version of the food log you are using now. Don't use entries that use "generic" or "homemade", look at the nutrition info and check it to the package or the USDA published values available by googling, find entries that provide the correct measurement (grams whenever possible), and make sure you choose an entry that specifies "cooked" or some version of that if you are weighing your portion cooked.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I didn’t read through the entire thread, so please forgive me if this has been posted already, but I wanted to give the link for the Health Canada guide to nutrient values. I find it super helpful.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/pdf/nutrition/fiche-nutri-data/nvscf-vnqau-eng.pdf
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying this - this is really helpful. So I’m guessing that the green tick is a safe option then (or preferred option)?
  • kimny72
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying this - this is really helpful. So I’m guessing that the green tick is a safe option then (or preferred option)?

They have a better probability of being correct, but I still check them. Most that I've run across were correct, but I have found some that were wrong. It could be as simple as the company changed the formulation, so the checked entry used to be correct but now isn't. :smile:
  • monicaoneill17
    monicaoneill17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thank you. Im not great at logging my food, but not great at it. I get frustrated when I can't find what I just ate, and it's hard to break out all the ingredients, so then I'm just guessing.
  • ginafranklin2
    ginafranklin2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using the bar code option whenever I can. Even eggs can be a little different, depending on the farm. That’s taking it a tad to far, I realize, but it’s more about the ease of using it. It’s easier than looking it up, plus gives me reassurance that the nutritional information is more accurate. I let the bar code do the info for me and I adjust the servings.
  • kimny72
    Options
    I’ve been using the bar code option whenever I can. Even eggs can be a little different, depending on the farm. That’s taking it a tad to far, I realize, but it’s more about the ease of using it. It’s easier than looking it up, plus gives me reassurance that the nutritional information is more accurate. I let the bar code do the info for me and I adjust the servings.

Unfortunately the bar code isn't more accurate. The MFP app doesn't read the nutrition info through the bar code. It just reads the name of the product and then searches the database the same way it would if you typed the name into the search bar.

It is way easier than typing on my phone, I use it all the time, but you do still need to check the numbers in the database entry to the package just as much. I've def pulled up bad entries with the scanner. I think it does tend to be a little more accurate though because it eliminates typing errors and searches with the manufacturers preferred syntax rather than the imperfect random words I sometimes end up using :smile:
  • saintlmm7689
    saintlmm7689 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This post answered so many of my questions!! Extremely helpful as I am brand new to MFP.
  • mytempleisloved
    mytempleisloved Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get on track. I promised that I would review the links that were shared with me. This is very helpful. I will learn how to do accurate tracking. One day at a time. Thank you.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    BUMP for the Newbies
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Darn phantom double post.
  • carlolijn75
    carlolijn75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My problem for example, spareribs. I see oodles of entries of 100g, with variations of 100's of calories, so how can I figure out which is accurate? I'm assuming I have to enter my recipe, right?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    My problem for example, spareribs. I see oodles of entries of 100g, with variations of 100's of calories, so how can I figure out which is accurate? I'm assuming I have to enter my recipe, right?

Yup use the recipe builder and cross reference with the package or the USDA website.

Also, I miss a good amount of posters from this thread... *pours one out for the old school MFP homies*