rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Replies

• Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    I was really skinny when I was younger. I had one guy that would take pictures when I ate and be like "OMG THE ANOREXIC IS EATING LOL". I didn't have an eating disorder at the time, my family is just really thin until they turn 18 and grow boobs lol. They would mock me for being kind-of flat chested (I wasn't even that bad! Just a 32B!)

They made such a big deal out of me eating that I stopped eating in front of people...I eventually became anorexic because I hated my body and felt "lopsided" because my breasts weren't large enough (in my disordered brain) and were never going to be, so I starved until my legs were "small enough" to be equal.

I had a really effed-up self-image from all the stuff I heard. At least I have 32E boobs now...it makes me feel less obsessed with losing size on my legs.

That's horrible. People can be so cruel :(

I'm sorry to hear you went through that hun.

I can relate. I went through about 15 years of not having a name. Daniel? Nah, let's call him fatty, fat *kitten*, tubby, tubbo, chunky, etc.

I don't care how strong a person is, eventually, it gets to you and really starts affecting how you see yourself in the mirror.

I still have self confidence and self-image issues because of it.. But I'm working on it.

I USED TO HAVE 32E'S, NOW IM DOWN TO A B CUP MAYBE? LOL

Thanks hon. I appreciate that...I know it's different from what other people here have experienced, but skinny shaming can be just as hurtful as fat shaming. I had a really hard time dealing with it.

You are more than your weight! (Besides the fact that you're looking fabulous)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Not me, but a family friend was larger. No idea how big because I was kid at the time and anyone taller than me was large.

She poked fun at herself quite a bit and one time told this story complete with shouts and arm movements about going to the beach with her son who was 5 or 6 at the time.

Melody was a confident lady, but a bit self-conscious about being in public in a bathing suit. She and her son walk out on the beach and set up for a nice long day in the sun. Up goes the umbrella, down comes the towel, and she lays herself down.

Her son is playing in the sand nearby and looks over and grins yelling 'Whale on the beach! Whale on the beach!'

Melody was embarrassed. She puts on her coverup, grabs her book and hunkers down. A few hours pass and she's getting warm. She thinks to herself, I don't care - I'm getting into this water.

She sheds her coverup and walks into the water a little self-consciously and finally sinks down into the water, 'heaven'.

Just then, her son rushes up to her in the water and jumps on her back yelling 'Riding the Whale! Riding the Whale!' waving his arm like a lasso.

And that is how she would tell the story, cracking up at the end. Moving her arm like a lasso.

She told the story with such joy - I never recognized it as rude until years later. I hope you take this in the spirit she would tell it, and laugh a little bit in the face of these other stories.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    An old man walked past me and said "Every time you see a n*gger, they are big and fat". Racism and fat shaming all in one sentence!

OH MY GOD!!! This is awful...just awful. I have no words....
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Just eat less - well to loose weight I have to eat under 800 calories and exercise.

Yeah I love that.. Eat less and Exercise more.. Yup doing that.. Yes I am losing weight. BUT.... I have to actually eat more in my case. I have my daily calorie goal at... drum roll please.... 1500.. yes that's right.. 1500.... why because if I try to do more that that,(my supposed deficit limit is like 1800+ something which I can't do) it makes me sick.

I think it's rude when people and doctors assume I'm lying about how much I eat. I don't know why people think it's okay to "motivate" you by telling you something you already know, or shaming you because they don't believe you.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    I have a funny one (made me laugh but it's genuinely WRONG and terrible)
    So I was complaining about feeling stuffed after dinner, and my uncle says,

"It's cause you're fat"
    Me- "I'm not fat!"
    My uncle-"All women are fat!"

Lol, ridiculous.
  • SwallowInTheOcean
    SwallowInTheOcean Posts: 10 Member
    "I'm just not attracted to you anymore"
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    I was in a Haagen Dazs and a stranger (an elderly man) said "you don't need to eat that, you're heavy" ouchie
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    When I was in high school I was really chubby, one time a guy was trying to swap trading cards with another kid and asked me to say something in a high voice. I obliged, and he said to the other kid "the fat lady sang, deal is over, I'm not swapping with you"

I lost all the weight but put it back on unfortunately, lucky these days I don't encounter much rudeness and I'm still at a point where I can (and do) hide the fact I'm chubby with flattering clothes.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I don't receive negative comments much anymore but here are a few I received back in the day:

"Don't let the wind blow you away"

"Can I buy you a sandwich?" (funny because I often ate more than the person making the comment, I just exercised much more)

Starting to lift weights eliminated most of these types comments. As a runner, I have no intention of gaining a ton of weight, but adding a little muscle certainly helps.

I never paid much attention to these comments because my weight was always healthy. I think with such a large percentage of the American population overweight/obese some people view those with a healthy weight to be underweight.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    that was rude!

Congrats on your transformation

family's the worst..
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    I live in London, does anyone remember seeing that advert from weight watchers where all these people were commenting on this lady losing weight and her beautician was saying, "I used to wax her legs, but now it takes half the time". I always thought that was so bad!
  • hilbertraum
    hilbertraum Posts: 4 Member
    One evening, when I was 18 and a *very* geeky dateless girl, I was getting ready for the student awards ceremony for my high school graduation where I was class valedictorian with a 4.0+ GPA (+ because I got As in the 4 AP classes I took that year), and also won several scholarships to universities for things like science, German, and music.

My mom came in while I was getting ready and I thought she was going to say something nice (for once) about how proud they were of me and my accomplishments. Instead she looked me up and down while I was putting on my dress and only said "All the boys would like you if you would just lose 10 pounds." and walked out.
  • "the fat *****"
    "Oh, ignore her, she won't fit it"
    "Thunder thighs"
    So much more

I hear negative criticism about my body everyday!
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    After not seeing my ex-husband in years, the first thing out of his mouth was "Since when did you become a sumo wrestler". Wow, did that hurt!
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    My beer bellied grandfather told me I was getting thick, across a crowded room at a party for people in my home town after my wedding (a lot of them couldn't make it to my wedding because it was out of town).
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Oh and being called "big *my name*" in dance classes as a teenager (when I was actually 15lbs lighter than I am now).
  • I was in a Haagen Dazs and a stranger (an elderly man) said "you don't need to eat that, you're heavy" ouchie

WTF? Nobody "needs" Haagen Dazs. We're not there because it's a nutritional requirement; we're there because it's damn delicious, lol.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    I was in a Haagen Dazs and a stranger (an elderly man) said "you don't need to eat that, you're heavy" ouchie
    "You don't need to open your mouth, you're a ****."

edited to fix quote mistake
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
    "You don't need to open your mouth, you're a ****."

edited to fix quote mistake

wow.. that was just wrong! i'm sorry