rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Replies

• JordanMK_
    JordanMK_ Posts: 54 Member
    I once got called a fat *kitten* in high school by the thinnest dude in class and just replied to him: Don't blame me if your parents are too poor to buy food :) and the whole class was like BUUUUURRRRNN
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Upon entering my Uncles home after 20 yrs of not seeing him, his first remark was "I see you are making enough money for food!"

I was at my heaviest and almost didn't go to his 80th because of my weight. To walk in hear my mother (this is her brother and could be twins in personality) was quite a shock.

I recovered quickly to enjoy the day. I was glad I let that remark go because he went on to brag about how well I had done in life for the rest of the day
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    When I was around 15, my brother told me I'd be pretty if I lost weight. Around that same time, my dad told me looked disgusting and like I was pregnant. I was 20 lbs. over my goal weight at that time. They both have always been super anti-fat and I felt that all my life.

Of course, both of them and my sister could always eat whatever they wanted, never exercised, and were skinny as rails. My Mom's been overweight my entire life and my dad treated her like crap too.

As a teenager, their comments and looks killed me. Now, I don't give a rat's *kitten*.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    After I had had my first child, my mother-in-law, who was actually obese, commented that the jeans skirt I had on made me look like I had a "Big caboose." I weighed about 125-130 at the time and wore a size 8. At the time, I think she was actually transferring her own insecurities to me.
  • JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    When I first started trying online dating I had a date with this really attractive guy. Things were going well, and then at the end of the date he looked at me and said, "We're going back to my place right? I only wanted to go on this date because you were fat and probably desperate to get laid. I just need to get laid, so after tonight I won't be contracting you." So when I asked him why he thought I was desperate for attention he said, "Fat girls never get any attention from attractive guys like me. So when a guy like me pays attention to them, they'll do anything. Fatties are the best because you can string them along just by giving them a little bit of attention." I promptly asked for the check, paid for my dinner and said, "I'm taking myself home because I know how to treat myself right, unlike you. And I'll probably do a better job at it." That was the night I started my weight loss program, I saw him after I dropped fifty pounds and he said he'd love to date me now I was skinnier. I told him no way.
  • nmmom2
    nmmom2 Posts: 172 Member
    Nothing when I was heavy, but when I lost 50lbs my brother-in-law said "Wow you lost alot of weight! You used to be fat as a cow."
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    3-4 months ago I had to have two surgeries in a 3 week period. Went to visit family after I got back on my feet again, about 6 weeks ago. My grandmother-in-law says to me, with all the in-law family there "I see you didn't lose any fat after you had the surgeries". Granted she's almost 90 so has likely lost the filter on what's ok to say or not. Even though I had lost 30+ lbs by that point, it still hurt, especially with everyone there to overhear it.
  • Marietta64
    Marietta64 Posts: 3 Member
    What a bi***! I think I would have said, "better fat than insensitive".
  • Got set up on a date and we were texting a few days before hand. Told the guy I was a bit too curvey and he's like I love curves. Met on the date and he's says your not curvey your fat and walked off
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    You are not pregnant, are you?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Lately I have to say being called "skinny" dammit I am not skinny and don't want to be called it because its toatly against what I am aiming for. I am sure they mean it as a compliment but ... that means bones showing to me and that is gross. I am going for healthy and fit with some muscles.

Its rude to blurt out anything related to physical attributes in my opinion. I don't go calling people sickly or fat or comment on their outfit choice for the day, etc. But hey people need mouth filters a lot.
  • Marietta64
    Marietta64 Posts: 3 Member
    This is a great topic to vent. I have a naturally plump face. When I gain weight, unfortunately, it shows in my face first. I am 5'3" and was in the 110-115 range in my teens and even when I was in the high end of the range, people would comment on me putting on weight, and it was really hard just staying in that range. I ate almost nothing.

In my 20's, when I started my career, I was less active and less conscientious of my diet, and went up to 135. My boss commented often on me needing to lose weight, so I went on a diet. When I reached 125, she told me I was looking good and was almost there.

Ideal weight for 5'3" female is usually given as 107-135, but I have always received negative comments when I exceed 115.

I had a doctor when I was in early 20's ask me when I weighed in at 120 if this was my normal weight and then proceed to tell me that i needed to watch my diet and exercise.

When I was 32, between the births of my two sons, I joined weight watchers and went down to 125, which was my goal weight. The weight watchers leader suggested I reset my goal lower.

After a while, you start feeling like expectations are unrealistic. I kinda gave up. Now I'm much higher than any of these weights. Trying to focus on my own good health now.

Meanest thing ever said to me : I bet if you lost weight, you would have a small chest.

I know every single one of these people were wrong in what they said to me, but amazing how unrealistic people's expectations can be.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    My Dad had a GF when I was in High School who, despite being larger than me, kept telling me to lose the weight or else no one would love me. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind at the time to tell her that if a man or woman didn't want to date me as a heavy person, I'd not want to date them if I were thin. She was so skeevy and off her rocker, I was actually not offended by it, which is rather shocking as I was pretty thin-skinned back then. Thank GOD her little digs didn't get to me; I had a bad enough relationship with food as it was.

Probably the one that actually hurt was this woman who hung in my group of friends as the GF of one of our friends; she kept using my weight as a baseline against other people's fatness. "Oh, she HUGE! She's larger than YOU!" And it wasn't that she said this, it was that she thought it was funny and that I was the only one to call her out on it.

Oddly, people comment more about the POTENTIAL of me getting (*GASP*) fat. "Don't eat that! You'll get fat!" Which isn't hurtful, just annoying as I end up giving my "no bad foods, just bad amounts. Moderation is my homeboy" speech. LOL
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I got more crap after losing the weight than when I was heavier.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    We have to pick just one? lol
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    When I was teen my younger sister had modeling aspirations.
    I was out with my mom one night and we ran into an acquaintance of hers who ran a modeling agency.
    He politely asked if I was the daughter who was interested in modeling.
    As I was responding with no that would be my sister he gave me a super slow up and down once over and said with a sneer
    " well you certainly are ........ Tall enough"

luckily I responded with a catty
    and not nearly vapid enough
    then walked away.

nit that models are all vapid but I had to say something
  • atelephobicmess
    atelephobicmess Posts: 1 Member
    My dad told me i looked like a sick LA model on heroin yesterday so yeah, that was fun
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    When I was teen my younger sister had modeling aspirations.
    I was out with my mom one night and we ran into an acquaintance of hers who ran a modeling agency.
    He politely asked if I was the daughter who was interested in modeling.
    As I was responding with no that would be my sister he gave me a super slow up and down once over and said with a sneer
    " well you certainly are ........ Tall enough"

luckily I responded with a catty
    and not nearly vapid enough
    then walked away.

nit that models are all vapid but I had to say something

He probably wasn't smart enough to understand what vapid meant.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    One time I went into a store, shopping for some things for my daughter. I was looking at jeans, and the sales person came over to me and told me they did not carry any clothing in the store in my size. It was basically an invitation to leave. "We don't want anyone your size in our store.". It was pretty clear.

Shrug...The stuff was cheap and ugly anyway. I went to Nordstroms, asked for a personal shopper, told him my daughter's size, and we picked out several outfits with accessories for her. He was pleasant to work with, and I am sure he was happy with his commission.

Snooty is as snooty does.

I have also had a few issues with personal trainers, their attitude was that I was too fat to work with, one wanted to only work with me at a certain time, I think he did not want to be seen with me. Another treated me like her personal project, like she was going to fix me and make me thin. My goal was an exercise routine. Not a diet coach, she wanted to weigh me every week, and verbally abused me if I had not stayed on her regimen. No more money for her.

You have to really maintain high self esteem when dealing with people who treat you badly. I have had people ignore me, glaze their eyes when looking at me, and act like I was the problem.
  • KittyxCity
    KittyxCity Posts: 3 Member
    I was 11 and at my friends and her brother (who i'd never even talked to before) said "if you keep eating so much you'll get fat."... I was just a small amount off being underweight. I'm now 35 and that comment has stuck with me.