rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Replies

• Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    A group of friends that were all guys were whispering as I walked up to them and I asked what they were being so secretive about. They tried to brush it off as nothing but I insisted they let me in on the secret. I thought maybe it was a dirty joke or some piece of gossip. The one finally says "Fine. We were talking about how insanely HOT you would be if you were smaller"... I was crushed. I suppose it was nice to hear that they saw my "potential", but it was still mortifying to know they were all sitting around talking about my being fat :-/
  • kait_marie24
    kait_marie24 Posts: 99 Member
    Back when I was big, I had a lot of people put their hands on my belly and ask if I was pregnant. Also I had a coworker point out my "rolls".
  • The one that sticks with me the most is when I was in high school arguing with my gym teacher about running the mile and I couldn't because my asthma had been acting up because of a Chemistry accident the period before and I could barely breathe then he was like "whatever." threw his hands up and as he was walking away he says to the other gym teacher, "I hate fat girls. They always have an excuse not to even try."
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    I got more crap after losing the weight than when I was heavier.

Honestly... me, too these days. From people I know, anyway. From strangers I get the same amount of crap.

But from people I know.. it seems as though they feel safer insulting skinny/thin people. I guess because they feel like we should have confidence. But that isn't always the case.

Fat shaming is an issue. I won't say that what I have gotten now is worse than what people who are overweight go through. It isn't. Not necessarily. But it still can be hurtful when people who 'care' about you fling insults because you're thin.

Though, I've grown to believe it's rude to comment on someone's body at all. Positive comments can be nice, but even those can be.. backhanded at times.
  • xMermaidx
    xMermaidx Posts: 142 Member
    This is still kinda unbelievable when I remember it. I was at the grocery store with my husband and our only son at the time, he wasnt a year old yet, and I put some of those pudding snack packs in our cart, as I walked away from my husband this old man, in a scooter-type thing, went over to him and said "you shouldn't let her get those, that is what keeps her chunky". My husband tells me what happened and the way he said just what his response was to the old creep I almost felt bad for him. Disgustingly enough, this same man had been checking me out from when we first crossed paths earlier in our shopping trip.
  • N0VV
    N0VV Posts: 18 Member
    I am a healthy BMI, always have been.

although, my mom loves to make comments like,

"your stomach is getting bigger than your boobs"
    "When i was your age i was half your weight!"

ALL throughout my childhood

Now that i am trying to eat healthy and exercise she says things like,

"Ya how long is that going to last?"

I'm shocked i never developed more of an eating disorder.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Oh I forgot the story of the time I was spat on for wearing a bikini at the beach when I was fat...so what, sorry I offended you with my existence.
    Then there was the many times walking down the street when men would tell me how disgusting I was, I was grabbed at and prodded like an object or monster. That was when I was at my highest weight of 100kg or so. Though I got fat comments and still get fat comments well below that. I am now 76.9kg. I have one of those weird turkey necks, you know those chins that don't really look great side on or without a good angle, so I get mistaken for being bigger than I am a lot.
  • obladioblada2
    obladioblada2 Posts: 3 Member
    This is so sad... People are mean.:brokenheart:

Albert Einstein
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the
    the universe.
  • sweetbamaTLC
    sweetbamaTLC Posts: 170 Member
    "Are you sure you're not losing too much? You look sick."
  • sweetsarah819
    sweetsarah819 Posts: 4 Member
    I always 'LOVE' microagressions toward overweight people. My personal favorite, "you have such a pretty face." What does that even mean? If only I had a pretty body? Once a doctor that I met, not while being a patient but just in public, said to me "If you just had a body to match your face you'd be perfect." Um..."thanks?"
    I also go crazy when people tell you, "You look comfortable".Particularly when I tried to look nice. Grrr...
  • WildcatDeLalune
    WildcatDeLalune Posts: 74 Member
    When I first started trying online dating I had a date with this really attractive guy. Things were going well, and then at the end of the date he looked at me and said, "We're going back to my place right? I only wanted to go on this date because you were fat and probably desperate to get laid. I just need to get laid, so after tonight I won't be contracting you." So when I asked him why he thought I was desperate for attention he said, "Fat girls never get any attention from attractive guys like me. So when a guy like me pays attention to them, they'll do anything. Fatties are the best because you can string them along just by giving them a little bit of attention." I promptly asked for the check, paid for my dinner and said, "I'm taking myself home because I know how to treat myself right, unlike you. And I'll probably do a better job at it." That was the night I started my weight loss program, I saw him after I dropped fifty pounds and he said he'd love to date me now I was skinnier. I told him no way.

Haha! Serves him right.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    I went to denny's with my family and ordered the fit breakfast. Egg whites, turkey bacon, some toast and some oatmeal. He went through my plate. First told me I shouldn't eat the bacon, I was going to die from pork. I had to tell him it was turkey. Then he told me I shouldn't have the eggs, I was going to die from cholesterol and diabetes. I had to explain egg whites to him. Then he told me I should just have eggs and not anything else because I'm too big of a girl. I started eating alone in the dark then.

I want to go back in time and crack an egg on his head!
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    I was 11 and at my friends and her brother (who i'd never even talked to before) said "if you keep eating so much you'll get fat."... I was just a small amount off being underweight. I'm now 35 and that comment has stuck with me.
    My Grandmother said something similar to me....from the age of 8 until we moved out of her house when I was 11. She constantly told me I would get fat thighs if I eat this or that. Thing is I was tiny, had the "thigh gap" (due to bowed legs!!) you could stick a fist through and not an ounce of spare fat on me!! No one in my immediate paternal family had a weight issue so I don't know what her problem was!!
    I had food and body issues for years after......my new-at-the-time step mother couldn't believe how little food I ate:cry:
    I hid my body under baggy clothes constantly.
  • noobinboston
    noobinboston Posts: 17 Member
    I've been asked if I was pregnant many, many times, people are very rude!
  • icello
    icello Posts: 5 Member
    I was at a water park with my "friend." We were getting ready to go down a slide with a two person tube, and the life guard asked who was sitting in front. My "friend said "usually fat people go in back and skinny in front" and got in the front!
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    When I weighed 238 pounds I was told that I look like a baby cow by my manager at work.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    My daughter was graduating and I wanted a nice dress to wear to the ceremony. I went into a ritzy upscale shop and started browsing when a nicely dressed gentleman came up to me and asked if he could help me. I explained it was my daughters graduation and what kind of a dress I was looking for. He then looked me up and down, from my toes to head, and said "I don't believe we carry your size". I was speechless. He just stood there staring at me till I left the store.
  • kentwhale
    kentwhale Posts: 18 Member
    I was in a pub & drunken old bloke (well probably middle aged but I was in my twenties so he looked pretty old to me) came up & asked me why I was wearing a silver brooch in shape of a ballerina, I replied because it was a present & he said well it's not as though you look like a ballerina is it - looking me up & down while he said it, the inference being I was far too fat to be a ballerina (which I was). Yeah, thanks for pointing that cos I though I was going to be dancing the lead in Swan Lake. Another time a complete stranger - another bloke - came up to me at a club & said, I can't believe how fat you are, I mean you are really fat. I was 5ft 7" & about 156 lbs & it was about 35 years ago when there were not so many overweight people about, but still. Thing is these oafs think they are telling you something you don't already know - like you haven't noticed yourself that you are fat. I mean, I would never go up to some bloke & tell him he was pug ugly, had terrible dandruff, halitosis or needed a personality transplant, but these *kitten* think it's perfectly acceptable to make really personal statements to a complete stranger. In those days I was so ashamed of being fat/ugly/not intelligent enough I just agreed with them but now I'd tell them to shove their opinions where the sun don't shine or give them a slap. Grrrrrrrrrrr
  • Ater my divorce, I got on Match.com and one of the first dates I went on made the comment under his breath, I normally don't date fat girls. I acted like I didn't hear it, but it gave me the motivation to lose a lot of weight and date a lot cuter guys than him.

Very similar experience. Some dating site, met at a bar for a drink. He went to the "toilet" and didnt come back. Sent a message to my mobile phone saying "you said you were 'athletic' build... your fat". At the time i was 172cm, 70kgs flat and playing sport 4 times a week ... i WAS athletically built but I had curves and i wasn't a twig. SO rude and it put me off online dating completely.. Im going to meet my fellas the regular way.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    was called a beached whale when I weighed my highest (240+)
    tumblr_n5wn6cLL5a1so0ukuo1_500.gif