Prepping for a 5K

Replies

• Perhaps you could think of something to distract yourself from feeling uncomfortable? I googled 'mental toughness running' and found a whole bunch of information, which tells me that you're certainly not alone in feeling this way. You've worked so hard to get to this point, I think that you're more mentally tough than you realize. Have you read the Newbie Chronicles at http://www.runnersworld.com/newbie-chronicles ? It's written by a guy who started off out of shape, overweight, and unable to run and how he's developed into a person who enjoys running. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    I know your goal is to run the 5K straight through. I'm not suggesting you back off it either.

But, I'd count what your doing already for intervals as a major win. Even experienced people in very good shape will walk occasionally. When I've attended live events, many competitors in a half-marathon, marathon, ironman, etc. (people who are really in shape) will at points look less like Chariots of Fire and more like Night of the Living Dead.

So, go for your goal. But even if it turns out you have to take a short walk or two, it's not a thing to worry about overmuch. What you're doing now and what you will do are incredible.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    You are having amazing progress! Keep it up!!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Was it mental or physical reasons for the two 30 second breaks?

At the point I stopped to walk my brain was convincing me it was physical, but I noticed I recovered very quickly and really had no pain; just was tired of the uncomfortableness of running for extended periods. So I have concluded its a mental toughness problem. Im sure if I was more fit, it would be less uncomfortable; but I think at this point is a mental toughness problem.

i came on a mid session break to google exactly this!
    fantastic results cw.
    i started on the treadmill prior to joining mfp so will try c25k after my 12 week gym/diet period.
    i currently walk 80% of my daily 5-7k workout interspersed with 250-350 metres of jogging.
    am currently working on building base strength/ endurance to get a basic fitness level and some xs weight off to run further.
    thanks for the insights. keep it going.
  • You're making a great start! Let us know how you feel when you start the couch to 5K program. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    A bit more progress. I ran 23 minutes continuous today - the longest I think I've ever run in my life. 2 Weeks until my scheduled 5K race. I hope to get a 30 minute run in next week. AT my current pace the actual 5K will require about 37 minutes of running. Getting close.

w12d3.jpg
  • This is exciting! Look how far you've come (pun intended) since you started with the C25K program. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    cwrig, how often are you running? Every day? Any rest days? Just curious. You are doing SO GOOD! I'm still poking along. In fact, I'm not running right now. I don't belong to a gym and it's just too hot and humid in Dallas right now to try to make gains. I've gotten a bike and go riding early in the day.
  • cwrig
    cwrig, how often are you running? Every day? Any rest days? Just curious. You are doing SO GOOD! I'm still poking along. In fact, I'm not running right now. I don't belong to a gym and it's just too hot and humid in Dallas right now to try to make gains. I've gotten a bike and go riding early in the day.

I took one of the standard C25K programs and stretched it from 9 weeks to 14 weeks. The first few weeks I ran 3 days a week for 30 minutes each time. Later it increased to 4 days a week and later increased from 30 minutes to 45 minutes each session.

Rest Days are very important. Just as important as the Running days.

Congrats on the morning bike riding. That is also great cardio.
  • Cathy, riding a bike in the morning is excellent! You're not letting the hot summer weather stop you from exercising, and that's what really counts. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Just ran my first 5K today at 53 years old!

If you start at the beginning of this thread you will see I started this 5K training in April of 2014. The first time I tried, I failed to complete week 1. I simply could not run more than 20 seconds at a time before I was exhausted. Short version: I punted and walked for two months then started C25K again. This time I could keep up, but I did stretch it to 14 weeks rather than the typical 9.

Today I ran my first 5K race and my two sons ran at my side for support. I regret that I had to walk for about a minute at the 2.5 mile mark, but was able to run out the rest. My race time was 40:30; which is a very slow pace; but I will not accept that as failure. I could not run 30 seconds when I started. I may be slow, but I am in much better condition than I was. My BP is now normal, my resting pulse is now 60 (it was high 70s), it is helping me lose weight (55 lbs so far) and it helps with BG as well, I think. I simply feel better.

I need a day or two to decide where to go from here, but I know I do not want to lose this base. Anyone considering C25K, I highly recommend it. I can do it, I bet you can too.

Below is a pic of me at the finish line (in the red shorts/black shirt/grey hair) with my sons on each side of me. You can see the brief period I walked in the graph below.

14 week goal accomplished!

5k.jpg
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    superb result.
    as for running with your sons. priceless memories.
    inspirational sir.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Man! Congrats! That actually brought tears to my eyes! You have come so far and have proven that hard work pays off! I have yet to break the 40 minute mark but you are inspiring me to keep trying. How awesome that your boys were right there by your side!

Be proud of your time and accomplishment!

You rocked it!
  • What an awesome accomplishment! One of my favorite running gurus, John Bingham (better known as the Penguin) says "the miracle isn't that I finished the race - it's that I had the courage to start." Read more of his wisdom at http://thepenguinchronicles.com/ I can hear the crowd cheering for you as you finished, and the big smiles on your sons' faces tell how proud they are of you. Plus look at all the people who are behind you. 40:30 is your new PR, and it sounds like you're starting to think about what you'll do next to stay motivated and continue on your journey. Another favorite quote of mind: the finish line is actually a starting line for the next goals in your life. Congratulations on becoming a 5K finisher! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Way to go! I teach and just got on today - saw you had done your 5K. You are AMAZING!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    What an amazing journey! Thank you for sharing it with us. And, it's wonderful you're already thinking about what's next.

Make sure you take time to celebrate! It is a noteworthy feat!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Just ran my first 5K today at 53 years old!

If you start at the beginning of this thread you will see I started this 5K training in April of 2014. The first time I tried, I failed to complete week 1. I simply could not run more than 20 seconds at a time before I was exhausted. Short version: I punted and walked for two months then started C25K again. This time I could keep up, but I did stretch it to 14 weeks rather than the typical 9.

Today I ran my first 5K race and my two sons ran at my side for support. I regret that I had to walk for about a minute at the 2.5 mile mark, but was able to run out the rest. My race time was 40:30; which is a very slow pace; but I will not accept that as failure. I could not run 30 seconds when I started. I may be slow, but I am in much better condition than I was. My BP is now normal, my resting pulse is now 60 (it was high 70s), it is helping me lose weight (55 lbs so far) and it helps with BG as well, I think. I simply feel better.

I need a day or two to decide where to go from here, but I know I do not want to lose this base. Anyone considering C25K, I highly recommend it. I can do it, I bet you can too.

Below is a pic of me at the finish line (in the red shorts/black shirt/grey hair) with my sons on each side of me. You can see the brief period I walked in the graph below.

14 week goal accomplished!

5k.jpg

Congrats on the 5k!!! You did an amazing job!
  • pam1056
    pam1056 Posts: 13 Member
    bump
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Your determination and efforts from start to finish during this 5K journey you under took is very admirable, commendable and inspiring. My sincere congratulations. A total WIN Sir!
  • I am not running at this point, but I really want to speed walk a 10K this coming spring. :-)