MFP CHOPPED!

Options
2»

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you do want east low cal French onion soup, make up a big batch of caramelized onions and season them with fresh thyme and a little sherry. Freeze 1/2 cup servings in baggies. For instant French onion soup, put a frozen block in a cup and then cover with canned beef broth and microwave. I used to bring a few baggies to work and keep them in the freezer, and if keep a can of broth in my desk.
    Dang, I'm going to be making this. Sounds totally addictive. You could even add a teaspoon of butter and a little Parmesan or Gruyere!
  • tracydr
    Options
    Probably not what you were thinking of, but I keep buying strawberries to see if I can make my own gelatin from strawberry juice, but I keep eating the strawberries before I can try it.

I know it will work, just a matter of deciding whether or not it is worth it depending on how much juice my juicer makes from the strawberries, and how much sugar I'd have to add to make it sweet enough. But the recipe to make your own gelatin desserts from juice is right on the package of Knox unflavored gelatin.
    You need to add quite a bit of sugar to use the natural pectin. If you do have green apple or make pectin out of lemon seeds/pith it will work well. Strawberries are pretty low in natural pectin so a little difficult to work with,
    A strawberry cranberry jam would work very easily!
    I make my sour orange marmalade without pectin and it's delicious/easy.
  • tracydr
    Options
    Your best recipe (s) using spring produce!

Apricot
    Artichoke
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Beet
    Carrot
    Fennel
    Leek
    Peas
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Turnips
    Vidalia Onions
    Watercress

........GOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Your post made me chuckle, because at least ten of the sixteen things listed are not spring produce....at least in this hemisphere.....might be different in Australia.
    I find it amazing how speedy transport and shipping as well as green house cultures have us believe that summer and fall produce are actually spring vegetables.
    They are all spring or late winter in AZ. Can we add chard?
    Summertime produce-tomatoes, basil, garlic, squash ( or spring), cowpeas, Lima beans, corn and okra. Summer is pretty tough to grow much in AZ. Fall, winter and spring are quite productive.