What App do you use to track your running?

2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I want to be able to track my running but there are so many apps out there for this.

Which is a pretty good one to go with, I want something that is accurate not an estimate.

Thanks!

No app will be accurate, it'll be kind of close. The gps in cell phones isn't designed to work in that way and it will always overestimate your distance (so it will say 1.0 mile when you've really gone say 0.93). If you want accuracy, you need to invest in a gps watch like a Garmin.

I agree with this. Most of the apps will be fairly close in accuracy. A dedicated GPS will be better for tracking distance (but keep in mind there is still an accepted degree of error with GPS. We have a Boston certified marathon course that is measured exactly and get complaints about discrepencies with people's Garmins :laugh: )

All of the apps are fairly similar. I personally used MapMyRun before getting my Garmin.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Which is a pretty good one to go with, I want something that is accurate not an estimate.

There are four main options; Runkeeper, Runtastic, Endomondo and MapMyFitness which is a suite of apps. I've used all four on iPhone and Android and now use Runkeeper and Endomondo together on Android now.

As far as tracking is concerned they're all much the same. They rely on the phone GPS and work off that signal, so you're really then just into app stability and how the app adds value to the GPS data. They're all subject to the same issues as far as rain and vegitation cover are conserned, both of which reduce GPS accuracy.

In my experience:

Runkeeper - Generally stable and quite easy to use. Recent changes to the app have made it slower to access historial sessions, by adding a couple of steps. Coaching is pretty flexible and you have access to a range of training plans, none of which are particularly ground breaking but they're pre-programmed. The web site is pretty easy to use and there are a range of applications and services that run off the underlying logic, including MFP integration. I use one app to track my shoe mileage.

Runtastic. - Stable enough although I've found it sometimes stops randomly. Voice coaching is limited to the premium version only. I find the website a bit busy and while it's got useful analysis tools they are all hobbled uless one takes out the premium version. I'd also say that the premium version is quite expensive.

Endomondo - Stable, I haven't had any issues at all with it, the free version is caable enough and the premium version gives access to training plans that are dynamic inasmuch as they'll account for performance and adherence to the plan then modify accordingly. One frustration is that the map always defaults to a full map when I'm out and I end up having to zoom in, subject to network coverage that can be a bit slow. the website is quite easy to use and has some very powerful analytics and tagging. It has a database of routes to either compare yourself against or just to navigate against.

Mapmyfitness - When it works it's pretty capable as an app, but I've found consistent stability problems on iPhone and Android. I find the website very cluttered as well, so not a particularly pleasant user experience.

To an extent it can depend on critical mass of users, I have a number of friends on Runkeeper, so that ends to be a focus.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I don't do a ton of running, but I do have a Nike+ watch which I use to track my runs. With the GPS it tracks everything - altitude, heartrate, speed etc.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    I agree with this. Most of the apps will be fairly close in accuracy. A dedicated GPS will be better for tracking distance (but keep in mind there is still an accepted degree of error with GPS. We have a Boston certified marathon course that is measured exactly and get complaints about discrepencies with people's Garmins :laugh: )

All of the apps are fairly similar. I personally used MapMyRun before getting my Garmin.

The course is accurate, if you run the tangents. That's how the courses are measured. No normal recreational runner is doing that though, we're swerving to get around people, to go to the side at aid stations, drifting left and right a bit, so that's why we end up with 26.4 and not 26.2 for example. The course is accurate, we just actually run a bit more than we have to.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    A cheap watch to measure the time and google maps to measure the distance. If you don't have a watch, just check the time before going out and when you come back. Cost to you $0.

This site uses google maps to make the distance measurement easy: gmap-pedometer.com.