To Cleanse or NOT to Cleanse - that is the question.

Options
12346»

Replies

• aidensanma
    aidensanma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No, No, No to cleansing. Eat healthy every day and your body will thank you :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Toxins, there are tons of toxins in everything we eat and drink today. Let's talk about sugar, which is highly addictive and poison to the human body. How about flourides and heavy metals in our water. GMO a/k/a chemically altered. Since Monsanto (the King of GMO) owns the patent on every single seed in this country and farmers cannot grow anything without using Monsanto seeds, every single veggie or fruit you put into your mouth be it in solid form or juice has been tampered with starting at the seed. Yes even the organic stuff has been GMO'd at seed level. Any animal that has eaten any grain that starts with a seed has now ingested toxins. How about pesticides? Even though you are eating organic, have you noticed the chemtrails up in the sky these days? Heaven only knows what they are spraying. No matter, that still falls to the earth and enters our soil and our water supplies. I can see no good coming from chemtrails otherwise why would the government be denying they are spraying stuff? Let's move on to processed foods. You want toxins, take a walk through a food processing plant. Chemicals are used all the time to wash the food and in the preparation process...guess what? Chemicals. Take meats. Do you know what the meat industry uses to "wash" their meats? Ammonia. And that's when they bother to do that. When your cows are on a beef farm lined up side by side row after row standing up to their knees in their own waste, do you think they take the time to clean the cows before they kill them and cut them up into steaks? Do you think they wash the machinery that butchers them? Same for chickens and fish. Well you get the idea. So yeah, there are toxins in everything you put into your mouth. Don't get me started on health and beauty products or cleaning products and toxins. That's a whole 'nuther chapter.

Oh dear.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Toxins, there are tons of toxins in everything we eat and drink today. Let's talk about sugar, which is highly addictive and poison to the human body. How about flourides and heavy metals in our water. GMO a/k/a chemically altered. Since Monsanto (the King of GMO) owns the patent on every single seed in this country and farmers cannot grow anything without using Monsanto seeds, every single veggie or fruit you put into your mouth be it in solid form or juice has been tampered with starting at the seed. Yes even the organic stuff has been GMO'd at seed level. Any animal that has eaten any grain that starts with a seed has now ingested toxins. How about pesticides? Even though you are eating organic, have you noticed the chemtrails up in the sky these days? Heaven only knows what they are spraying. No matter, that still falls to the earth and enters our soil and our water supplies. I can see no good coming from chemtrails otherwise why would the government be denying they are spraying stuff? Let's move on to processed foods. You want toxins, take a walk through a food processing plant. Chemicals are used all the time to wash the food and in the preparation process...guess what? Chemicals. Take meats. Do you know what the meat industry uses to "wash" their meats? Ammonia. And that's when they bother to do that. When your cows are on a beef farm lined up side by side row after row standing up to their knees in their own waste, do you think they take the time to clean the cows before they kill them and cut them up into steaks? Do you think they wash the machinery that butchers them? Same for chickens and fish. Well you get the idea. So yeah, there are toxins in everything you put into your mouth. Don't get me started on health and beauty products or cleaning products and toxins. That's a whole 'nuther chapter.

I just can't imagine living my life in this much fear of everything I eat. It must be exhausting.
  • coachjessicashackles
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Shakeology cleanse? It's only 3 days and it is very simple to follow. Also, unlike most of the crazy cleanses out there, you can still workout. It cleanses your body out and it takes away the cravings for the junk food. I did it and it helped start my journey off right. I ended up losing 3.9lbs on it. Which I do see you are trying to maintain your weight but it is still an awesome way to go if you are looking for a cleanse=]
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Anything you could be taking into your body. There is all kinds of junk we take in everyday. Whether it is in the food we eat or in the air we breathe. The point of a cleanse is to aid in digestion where waste can move through and out of your system quicker. The longer it sits in your system, the more toxins are likely to go back into your body. As far as toxins go, there are toxins in everything. Especially bad for you processed foods and drinks.

What toxins?? can you name just one??

Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Zinc, Copper, Nickel, Mercury - shall I continue.

However the liver does an admirable job of processing all of the above and more.

Actually Zinc and Copper are essential nutrients :noway:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    A cleanse can be a way to make you feel like you are making progress which can help you stay motivated. However, they are not filling and very hard to stick to. Plus, you usually are just losing water weight that will come right back when you drink adequate water.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Shakeology cleanse? It's only 3 days and it is very simple to follow. Also, unlike most of the crazy cleanses out there, you can still workout. It cleanses your body out and it takes away the cravings for the junk food. I did it and it helped start my journey off right. I ended up losing 3.9lbs on it. Which I do see you are trying to maintain your weight but it is still an awesome way to go if you are looking for a cleanse=]
    So, you depleted your glycogen stores and lost water weight, which any lowered-carb diet will do.

And how exactly does it cleanse your body out in a way that your normal organ function does not accomplish? Unless by "your body" you mean "your wallet"?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Oh hey, I bet you know where I could buy some Shakeology... because you're a coach and all.

:indifferent:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Anything you could be taking into your body. There is all kinds of junk we take in everyday. Whether it is in the food we eat or in the air we breathe. The point of a cleanse is to aid in digestion where waste can move through and out of your system quicker. The longer it sits in your system, the more toxins are likely to go back into your body. As far as toxins go, there are toxins in everything. Especially bad for you processed foods and drinks.

What toxins?? can you name just one??

Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Zinc, Copper, Nickel, Mercury - shall I continue.

However the liver does an admirable job of processing all of the above and more.

Actually Zinc and Copper are essential nutrients :noway:

So is arsenic for that matter.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have tried many cleanses. I am now a health and wellness coach with herbalife and enjoy their clease very much so! It is very gentle, but does wonders! Let me know if you're interested in giving me your money for a product that won't do anything that your body doesn't already do naturally!

Fixed it for you.

Strong first post.

This made my night. THANK YOU

But yeah, "Cleanse"? I think you mentioned that whatever plan you had is telling you to eat fresh foods. Great. Do it if it floats your boat. But it's not a "cleanse". Kidneys, skin, colon are working 24/7 for you. Like several people have said, what happens on the day after you finish?

It may/may not work for you, but think about doing 'everything in moderation' and it might make for a better long term sustainable way of living.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I say definitely cleanse- I always shower at least once a day, but usually just wash my hair every other. A lot of people on MFP (myself included) incorporate physical activity into their routine, so probably best cleanse after exercise as well. Shower over bath for sure though, something about soaking in a tub of water slowly being infused with my body odor kind of grosses me out. But whatever works for you! Happy cleansing!
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    You're not supposed to do a detox diet for over 5 - 7 days depending on the "diet", it is unhealthy girl.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    did the food poisoning detox... clean me out for a whole four days... that was an experience that everyone should have at least once in their life... lost 3kg in two days...

... if you want to know the diet secret to this detox... take one 6month over the expiration date protein powder and add skim milk.. two or three hours later... your body starts cleaning you out like a mother@#$% ...
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done a cleanse in the past. Twice. Both times my end result was pregnancy. Not even joking. I was promised that the "cleanse" would not flush my birth control pills. Yet BOTH times I ended up pregnant. I faithfully took the pills at the same time every day. NO misses. My kids were born 2 years apart (minus 4 days).

Never again. NEVER!
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    You do not need to do a detox diet at all day, it is unnecessary girl.
    FIFY

I wasn't saying that you need a detox diet honey or if it works or if it doesn't. I was just telling her when it becomes unsafe. No T no Shade.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I do the 3 day cleanse with shakeology once in awhile, currently doing it now. I actually like it. Lost 5 lbs my first day.

Let me explain though, I lost 133 lbs, and gained 15 lbs, was able to lose 5 of it, and have 10 lbs to lose, I lost another 5 lbs and have 5 more to go. I only did it this time cus I knew it was water weight.