From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Options

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose it is POSSIBLE to get those calories on the plate, but not in any desirable combination. lol

If the plate is full up to 3 inches and can be jiggled a little and nothing falls off the sides, then it's right at the calorie threshold for most anybody. That's been my experience.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose it is POSSIBLE to get those calories on the plate, but not in any desirable combination. lol

If the plate is full up to 3 inches and can be jiggled a little and nothing falls off the sides, then it's right at the calorie threshold for most anybody. That's been my experience.

I'm way too practiced at carrying a loaded plate upstairs with nary a jiggle! Well, the plate didn't jiggle, I did! Anyway, as long as I stick to mostly meat, I'm good. Although I also happen to know that an entire chuck roast does fit nicely on a plate if sliced correctly!
  • vwagar
    vwagar Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You put it so perfectly! Congrats
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nice job
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I love how you are still going strong and regularly commenting on this thread 1 1/2 year later!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    WEEK 3
    Start weight/height: 250, 6'1"
    Weekly weight loss (lbs): 7,3,3
    Total weight loss: 13lbs/ 3weeks
    Current weight: 237
    Ate lunch Fri with coworkers. Ate little throughout day on Sat since was camping with scouts. Walked or biked 30 min 3 times and walked 90 min once. Need the protein drink and vitamins at night to not get very hungry the next day.
  • PurpleSpark89
    PurpleSpark89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! :) Just wanted to drop in and say my thanks for sharing your method and story with us. I don't remember how I stumbled across your page, but I'm glad I did. The OMAD plan really resonates with me..looking back, Ive done this type of diet before in the past unintentionally. During Highschool years and at certain jobs where I couldn't be bothered to prepare a lunch and didnt want to spend money eating out. So Id wait until I got home at the end of the day to eat. And you know, I was my smallest during those times!

Ive done this before so I know I can do it. Thanks for reminding us that this way of eating is okay!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    The bad part about being overweight is not the overweight part, but the being out of control part.

I get so many standard dieters who rely on the same tired body of knowledge that gets passed around today ("get three squares a day, watch blood sugar spikes, portion control....yada, yada"); it all vanishes in a sea of idealistic and inapplicable noise. And yet those same people forget the biggest rule of all--that in order to make any progress, one must first be back in control of their eating. And that lack of control is the very thing that keeps this site going strong. People simply can't control themselves in a society filled with food!

For a great many people, OMAD is what makes taking back that control possible. I am happy to have been of service.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've no judgement about omad. What i do is once a week do a 34 hour complete fast. Fasting is good for your health when you're overweight or obese. Whenever i get a hunger pang i tell myself I'm burning fat. It helps!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Well done on your fantastic loss!
  • PurpleSpark89
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The bad part about being overweight is not the overweight part, but the being out of control part.

I get so many standard dieters who rely on the same tired body of knowledge that gets passed around today ("get three squares a day, watch blood sugar spikes, portion control....yada, yada"); it all vanishes in a sea of idealistic and inapplicable noise. And yet those same people forget the biggest rule of all--that in order to make any progress, one must first be back in control of their eating. And that lack of control is the very thing that keeps this site going strong. People simply can't control themselves in a society filled with food!

For a great many people, OMAD is what makes taking back that control possible. I am happy to have been of service.

This this this so this! Everything you said is spot on. I love how this diet helps me take back control. I did lose 20lbs eating 1200 cals/day by portioning out 3 meals a day, but it still left too much wiggle room to cheat or mess up. Plus I felt teased every meal. Its like you said in an earlier post, I had 3+ chances a day to fail, while only eating once at a specified time pretty much fixes that. It is hard some days since I have an active part time job and it leaves me veryyy hungry at times, but I mean it when I say this is the easiest lifestyle change Ive ever tried. 7 pounds dropped so far :)
  • PurpleSpark89
    Options
    Going on vacation for week with some friends, so I'm worried about this making breakfast and lunch awkward for me, but Ill push through :) Gotta get used to dealing with this kinda stuff if I'm in this for the long haul! If anyone has any tips on how you coped with not eating while others were, do share! Im thinking Ill just bring my sketchbook along and draw.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Going on vacation for week with some friends, so I'm worried about this making breakfast and lunch awkward for me, but Ill push through :) Gotta get used to dealing with this kinda stuff if I'm in this for the long haul! If anyone has any tips on how you coped with not eating while others were, do share! Im thinking Ill just bring my sketchbook along and draw.

Keep a calorie-free beverage handy. That becomes a new habit and it feels normal at just after a month's time.
  • PurpleSpark89
    Options
    Keep a calorie-free beverage handy. That becomes a new habit and it feels normal at just after a month's time.

Wonderful advice, thanks! I can just order tea (no sugar) and water to keep me feeling full. :) thank you!
  • PurpleSpark89
    Options
    Id like to report that I did well on my vacation and continued to lose during my trip. Lost 3 more pounds while I was away! :)
  • PurpleSpark89
    Options
    To anyone else reading this thread, what the OP has said earlier is all true: this lifestyle change resets how you think about food. It happened slowly, but having stuck with it this long, I noticed that I dont obsess about food so much now. Its become less important to me and thus its easier to not be tempted to cheat or having binges. I say again, very excited about OMAD.

While away on vacation someone I knew was losing weight as well, but she lost it simply by cutting her portions in half. I told her how I was losing and immediately she said that OMAD is bad for the metabolism. But when I told her I was losing 1-2lbs a week by doing this, she quickly changed her song. Don't other people's opinion throw you off :)
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

This is absolutely correct. Love it.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ive started OMAD today as well! Your story is so inspiring arguablysamson! I even convinced my husband to join me. He has actually lived on the OMAD diet all his life, (but just didn't call it that, I don't think he called it anything... lol) but since I came along, I introduced cakes, desserts, and more meals etc. Luckily he has never put on weight, but my eating is always out of control. I often eat in secret and wished I could eat more than I do. So this was the slap in the face, kick up the *kitten* that I needed. You rock Samson =)

I just told my husband we have to eat the same time every day, his reply+
    "Anything you want sweetheart".........what a great guy =)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Ive started OMAD today as well! Your story is so inspiring arguablysamson! I even convinced my husband to join me. He has actually lived on the OMAD diet all his life, (but just didn't call it that, I don't think he called it anything... lol) but since I came along, I introduced cakes, desserts, and more meals etc. Luckily he has never put on weight, but my eating is always out of control. I often eat in secret and wished I could eat more than I do. So this was the slap in the face, kick up the *kitten* that I needed. You rock Samson =)

I just told my husband we have to eat the same time every day, his reply+
    "Anything you want sweetheart".........what a great guy =)

I'm hoping that someday the entire world will see things as clearly as you and as supportively as your hubby! :-)
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Samson! When I woke up this morning, my whole body felt a lot more agile and lighter (recently its only felt like wet cement!) When I got hungry today, I accepted the fact that drinks where my only food until dinner, (gotta love my diet cola and ciggies) I really believe emotionally that I'M 100% commited this time. Ive been half hearted in my attempts to date. But this feels real and promising. Thankyou for your inspiration Samson, and the bravery it took to post your story and images. I think about you daily when I'm on this journey, =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!