I'm running a marathon...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    your such a ****

Please quote where there was any swearing that hasn't come from you, OP?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I have no access to a therapist, trust me I have tried.

Anyway being a bit mental is nothing compared to not being able to get out in nature or achieve anything which is why I wanted to help my friend, that is what he is facing right now.

I honestly thought it was something I could proactively do to help. Obviously not. I'll definitely help him with charity applications and so on, just not with the half/full marathon.

Nobody has donated yet so that is easier.

I just thought it was some way that I could really help.

There are plenty of other races distances that you could prepare for and fund raise for. 5K? 10K? Half Marathon? Just because you interpreted (yes, you interpreted, it was not told to you) that you won't be able to do do a marathon, does not mean that you do not have the ability to run at all.

For the record when she changed her mind to the half marathon distance every single person who commented on that was really supportive and encouraging of that idea.

Yep, I saw that and I think that's a fantastic compromise. The OP would have a much better chance to getting to the start line healthy, which is kind of required if you want to get to the finish line.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    I'll find other ways to help him. Got to be easier than all this.

I would have done the running as much as needed and as long as needed but all this 'you dont know what your talking about your such a **** you haven't the time how could you possibly think you would be ready/good enough' stuff is enough to put anyone off.

And you mocked other peoples reading comprehension.

Please please quote the person who said you wouldn't be good enough?

EVERYONE has tried to help you - and ensure you don't get hurt alone the way.

But NOOOOOOOO that translates to we all think you are not good enough.

Get help - seriously.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    LOL at people thinking they have any comprehension of the NHS counselling service because they have looked on google

and seriously, people who find the end of someones dream to help a mate some sort of massive entertainment? Good for you, what lovely people you are.

LOL at people winging marathons. And seriously, someone who's determination to help a friend faltered so easily. What a lovely person you are.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    See above post, Obviously other people live in England but they obviously have no comprehension of the NHS counselling and LIFT services or they would understand why there is nothing available in many counties (it does vary by county) unless you are admitted or a danger to yourself or your kids.

Its common knowledge amongst us crazy kids...
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member

Anyway being a bit mental is nothing compared to not being able to get out in nature or achieve anything which is why I wanted to help my friend, that is what he is facing right now.

I honestly thought it was something I could proactively do to help. Obviously not. I'll definitely help him with charity applications and so on, just not with the half/full marathon.

I don't know how to make things bolded, so I need to quote the whole stinking thing.

OP- I am going to ask you an absolutely serious question, in no way, shape, or form am I judging you... Did you choose the marathon as the distance because you thought that anything less wouldn't show how much you really want to help your friend?

Because I think I can say with almost absolute certainty, that people are generally very, very appreciative whenever anyone does ANYTHING to help and they don't think that that person cares less, or didn't try hard enough because they for example, they "only" did a 5K, a 10K, or a half marathon, when they COULD have shot for the moon and done the marathon.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    If my friend needed a wheelchair, and I had to run 100 miles to get it, there is not a thing in this world that would stop me, whether or not I was going to have the time to properly train for the distance.

Sack up and do it, or don't, but don't blame the internetz if you quit before you even try.

I ran a half marathon with no training and over 100lbs overweight to prove to myself that I could do it.

It took me 3 hours and my feet were ****ed up for like a week but I finished it.

If you want to run a marathon, you will. If you're going to ***** out based on some people on MFP, you were never going to finish anyway.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member

I would have done the running as much as needed and as long as needed but all this 'you dont know what your talking about your such a **** you haven't the time how could you possibly think you would be ready/good enough' stuff is enough to put anyone off.

I think most people would agree that the half is completely do-able. The training required is way less rigorous and, unlike a marathon for a newcomer, it's not almost entirely focused around avoiding injury.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    LOL at people thinking they have any comprehension of the NHS counselling service because they have looked on google

and seriously, people who find the end of someones dream to help a mate some sort of massive entertainment? Good for you, what lovely people you are.

Google? just like there are people here that have Real Life running experience that have tried to help you, there are people here that have had Real Life experience with counseling, mental illness, and helping people thru rough times. they are reaching out to you as well.

......but solving problems really isn't the reason you're here, is it?
  • Iron_Feline
    No I do know that she has no experience of them or she wouldn't be suggesting that getting counselling on the NHS is some sort of easy process, it isn't and anyone who has been involved with them will know that.

Anyway, I've been reminded quite clearly that I can't achieve what I need to so I am moving on, I suggest you all do the same. Life goes on, I am a continuous disappointment, this is no different, its silly that I thought it could be.

I didn't say it was easy - I said that you can get it :noway:

But since you seem to quit at everything else when the slightest hurdle gets in your way...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Anyway, I've been reminded quite clearly that I can't achieve what I need to so I am moving on, I suggest you all do the same. Life goes on, I am a continuous disappointment, this is no different, its silly that I thought it could be.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Nobody with real life experience of psychiatric services of the NHS would post that link and say it is easy.

That isn't my opinion that is a fact.

Yep I have given up, because frankly if its going to pull up loads of stuff about me not being good enough then I am not strong enough to do it.

I just wanted advice on how to train, how to avoid injury, what marathons to do, how to fundraise etc etc

The 'you can't do it' came through loud and clear, which is cool, better now than later as people said.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member

You still can! You said yourself that if the worst came to the worst, you could walk it. Please keep your eye on your original goal - to raise money for somebody - which is such a lovely thing to even think of doing for another person, and I commend you for that. Don't allow this to get in the way of that... and don't allow a group of people that you don't even know dictate how you think or feel about yourself.

I really do hope you'll continue with your goal and I wish you all the best with it :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    No I do know that she has no experience of them or she wouldn't be suggesting that getting counselling on the NHS is some sort of easy process, it isn't and anyone who has been involved with them will know that.

Forgive me, but you thought that running a marathon would be easy enough to 'wing it,' but find the NHS too difficult to navigate, even to people who are also British and are linking you to resources?

I can't tell if you're getting off on making such passive-aggressive jibes to people, or if you are just unable to see what people are trying to help you with. It's hard to tell over the internet, but I truly hope you see how legitimately needed counseling is.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

I don't know how to make things bolded, so I need to quote the whole stinking thing.

OP- I am going to ask you an absolutely serious question, in no way, shape, or form am I judging you... Did you choose the marathon as the distance because you thought that anything less wouldn't show how much you really want to help your friend?

Because I think I can say with almost absolute certainty, that people are generally very, very appreciative whenever anyone does ANYTHING to help and they don't think that that person cares less, or didn't try hard enough because they for example, they "only" did a 5K, a 10K, or a half marathon, when they COULD have shot for the moon and done the marathon.

[ b ] [ / b ]
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I've already been pledged £300 by friends and family, so I can do this!

I hope you're going to give the money back?

Keeping money that people have donated is stealing you know....
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Nobody with real life experience of psychiatric services of the NHS would post that link and say it is easy.

Yep I have given up, because frankly if its going to pull up loads of stuff about me not being good enough then I am not strong enough to do it.

I just wanted advice on how to train, how to avoid injury, what marathons to do, how to fundraise etc etc

The 'you can't do it' came through loud and clear, which is cool, better now than later as people said.

Just like no one with real life experience in marathons would post a link to a training plan and say that it's easy. Hmmmm.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

No, it's your opinion. saying fact doesn't make it a fact. And honestly, based on your posts in this thread and a few others....I'm going to say you probably have a tendency to give up at the slightest set back or challenge.

Which means you could get help, you just have found ways to keep from holding yourself accountable and getting the help you need.

Instead of focusing on helping your friend with a new wheelchair, maybe focus on helping yourself first.
  • Iron_Feline

AGAIN

Where did I say it was easy? I said you can get it - get on the waiting list.

Quit whining and do it.

But again

NOBODY said you weren't good enough. So...
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member

Noone is stopping you. Someone in this thread said she ran a marathon dispite folks telling her not to...Proving people wrong is fun, but you'd have to be in it for the long haul....
This discussion has been closed.