Introduce Yourself

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Thank you @cameronheel for your service as well. I ran for a long time even after coming home. But after a broken leg in 2004, I was sidelined. It still bugs me to this day, but I am getting some help for it and getting out there.
  • kdhaile
    kdhaile Posts: 26 Member
    New to the group but not to fitness pal. I recently started running and dieting again after a several month break. Before the break I was down about 10 pounds but now have to start back over with the additional 10 pounds. I usually try to run about 2-3 times a week. Have been going to the gym mostly but also run outside. I live in Cudahy just outside Milwaukee and the county has great parks system so its great to get out their enjoy nature. Now I just have to continue the motivation. That is why I think this group can help!!
  • Subulux
    Subulux Posts: 4 Member
    I am Subha! I am 52 years young and although am quite active - have never run before. i walk 5 kilometres about 3 - 4 times a week and do yoga for about 15 minute 5 times a week.
    I hope to catch the runners bug by the end of this month. I shall begin walking regularly and start running slowly. I hope to run 60 kilometres by the end of this month.
    Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!
  • snericacross
    snericacross Posts: 82 Member
    Hello, I'm Erica. I have been an off and on runner for the past 20 + years. I have done 3 1/2 marathons and countless other shorter races.
    My goal is to be #1 in my age group for the turkey trot in Buffalo NY this year. In the past 5 years I didn't run for months prior and just show up for the run This year I want to kick some *kitten*. Watch 35-40 year olds I'm coming for you.

This months mile goal is 90 miles
  • ADLampshade
    ADLampshade Posts: 9 Member
    Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to MFP and just joined the group! I just got back into running last week. I took time off for my last semester of college, but I feel great getting back into the swing of things. I hope to log 15-20 a miles week and will set an August goal of 70 miles to see how I do. Thanks and I'm excited to be moving forward with you all!

Adam.
  • Ali_p7
    Ali_p7 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi everyone!
    I just joined the monthly challenge and this group. I'm on week 12 of a half marathon training program - training for my 1st half in early October. I'm very excited.
    I did C25K in 2013, and loved it (I had previously hated running!) I ran my 1st 10K in March 2014 (while on vacation in the Caribbean, amazing experience!). I've wanted to train for a half marathon for a few years, but then I got pregnant with my 2nd child and time got away from me. She'll be two soon and it's time for me to go for my goal.

Tomorrow I'm running 8 miles, which will be my furthest distance. Wish me luck!
  • jillylees
    jillylees Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, my name is Jill Lees. I was a half marathon runner but got injured about 3.5 years ago and have decided to start running again. i had my first run about 3 weeks ago and have become hooked again. Am running about 5km and three times a week.
    Need to keep motivated and I think this forum and group will help me.
  • mill2804
    mill2804 Posts: 4 Member
    My name is Wendy. I retired from the army 3 years ago and my husband is about to retire this month. We r settling in Manhattan KS because of my mom and neice and nephew. I have an 18 year old son. Ioved running..I have never been fast but I like to clear my head and run. I have done 6 half marathons awhile back. Since retiring, I have put in quite a bit of weight. I want to go back to being healthy and happy. I joined a gym and have a personal trainer for the new 6 months. I want to jog as much as my body will let me because I enjoy it.
  • nnenna1983
    nnenna1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, my name is Nnenna from Nigeria. I used to live in the US but I relocated a few years back. I stumbled on this group while logging in my meals on myfitnesspal. I enjoy running and used to run a lot more than I do now. At some crazy point in my life I ran a 10K. Now I barely hit 35 miles in a month. Don't know how that happened. I am trying to get back on track and hopefully run a half marathon someday. That has been a lifelong dream. Also, have some knee issues so I try to run without over-stretching myself. Going through some of the posts/replies here and let's just say I'm seriously intimidated. Well, hope I get motivated and read tips on how to increase my distance and possibly speed. Thanks.

PS. How do you get notifications from this thread when someone posts something?
  • AAcalories
    AAcalories Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi, you can call me Cal. I started running a couple months ago and up until today I've logged around 150 miles. I guess I caught the running bug because I never ran much growing up. Now I'm training for a fall or spring marathon pending my runner's knee. I started running because it suddenly became fun, probably because I could track my statistics. Anyway, happy running to all and feel free to connect with me. I'm in the Midwest part of the US.
  • Crickett309
    Crickett309 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new to the group, new to the challenge and new to running. I'm 2 weeks into this app c25k. I'm only up to running 2 mins., walking 1. Running the two is not easy but it's getting easier. I'm on way to running 5K! Woot! Woot!
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Hey everyone my name is Kris I used run alot as a teen and fell out of it when I had my children. I would like to get back into it I just installed a app to track my progress its definitely going to be slow at first as I have a sore back atm. I'm looking to do maybe 25miles this coming month of September before the weather gets too cold here in new York.
  • denicaryphillips
    denicaryphillips Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. My name is Deni. I haven't 'run' much since high school, which was over 40 years ago, so I'll likely be doing more walking than running. I need the cardio and hope having a group will motivate me. Not sure how or where I'm going to do this 'running'. Not a big treadmill fan, but that may be the easiest way to track. Also will measure some space in my neighborhood for days when I can't fit the gym into my schedule.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Hi, I'm Dayna from North Austin, Texas. I have been an avid runner since the age of 19, logging 2-6 miles a day, 5 or more times a week. In 2012, after the birth of my first son and completing my first half-marathon, I stopped running and went the weight lifting route shifting to HIIT. Just recently (last month in fact) I decided to get back into running.

When I began running again it exhausted me and was absolutely no fun. I realized quickly that I could not just jump back into my 2012 pace of a 9-min-mile. So I've been working my way back up using run-walk interval training and am currently at an average of 11:20 min/mile. Running is not as fun as it use to be right now but I am improving with every run and have been completing 5K's at least once a week. I run outside so have to get up pretty early to avoid the Texas humid heat and I really, really hate early morning running. Getting over that, though.

I will be running in a local 5K on the 16th. Hoping to get up to a 10K by the end of the year but haven't committed to any 10K's yet.

See you all around. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I am Mallory. I spent the greater part of 2016 amd 2017 losing 90+ lbs. I startes running because it was the easiest exercise I could fit in my schedule. I stuck with a 10k program for 8 weeks, and completed my first race yesterday.
  • DirtKrazy1
    DirtKrazy1 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey everyone I am steve. I just started running well sort of. I am learning to run teaching myself slowly useing breathing(and tiredness) to decide when to walk to recover. Still shy to go outside but its coming. When i started in June i was
    382 lbs the other day I weighed in at 330 lbs. WooHooo!! It is not just a diet it is lifestyle change I want! Less couch time more life time! I still need alot of motivation each day but once I get going it feels great. I am doing about 5 to 7km every day or other day. Walking and running. SORE TODAY STRONG TOMORROW!!
  • katlinne
    katlinne Posts: 5 Member
    I'm Kate. I'm a low volt electrician and work two full time jobs. I'm also the mom of a very active little five year old!

I've never been a fast runner, but I have dug deep to run for quite a while. Lately, I'm trying to get back into being active.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Hi, I'm Till in Helsinki, Finland, where I run pretty much year round (even on ski tracks...). I was a lousy and definitely involuntary runner in school, but I discovered it in my early twenties, and now I am mildly addicted. I'm not running to lose weight, instead I would like to get fitter to run faster and avoid injuries.

Somewhat counter-intuitively being a heavier runner, I tend to get better at longer distances. I have run some long runs and might do that again, but my favourite races are half marathons. I race sparingly (I like running too much and hate to get injured), but I do like numbers, and would like to run under 1:20 and possibly under 36 next year.
  • rdaisygal
    rdaisygal Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I am Pam. I am an on and off runner and I always do better with a goal. I'm running the Across the Bay 10K on November 5th (run across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in MD) so my motivation has been pretty good for the last 6-8 weeks. I like the idea of monthly challenges to keep me going. My ultimate goal is to get back to my annual Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, VA. My husband and I ran it together 3 years in a row but have missed it the last 2 years. It's time to get back to it!
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Hello everyone. My friends call me Mo, I've been a runner for quite a few years, but in the past year have really slacked off. I am trying to get back to my running-self and hope to find some motivation here. I have done a couple of half-marathons in the past and would love to try another one maybe next summer. I am also trying to get some weight off, I've lost about 8 lbs and would like to lose at least another 10.