Introduce Yourself

Replies

• SamToscanoWatson
    SamToscanoWatson Posts: 2 Member
    I am Sam. I used to run everyday. I have done 3 half marathons. Honestly love running, but got out of habit when I met my now husband. I joined on hopes that this will help me find my motivation to get back out there and stay consistent with running. Also I am in a relay in October and don't want to let my team down by being out of shape.
  • okishkash
    okishkash Posts: 142 Member
    I am Vera. I am a beginner and want to run a 5K with my daughter later this year. I hope to learn a lot from you all and be motivated to keep running.
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Hello, I'm Kate. I've run off and on for years, and have recently returned seeking peace of mind. My BF died in April, and getting out on the road, putting one foot in front of the other and pushing myself has really helped me stay sane. Plus, I'm so busy trying to stay upright and keep breathing that I can't really focus on anything else. Seriously though, I love the zone out during my run and the clean feeling I have after...if that makes any sense. I usually run at dusk or early evening in my neighborhood to beat the heat and indoors if it's gross out, although usually I'll just take that as a rest day because I'm a terror on the treadmill.

As I said in the thread, I'm not currently training for any races, I'm just doing what feels good. I may look at doing some races next year, I just don't want that pressure right now. In years past I've completed a few 5ks and trained for a half but wasn't able to run it. I'm also a college student as well as the mother of a college student...so, that's lots of fun. I live just outside of Reading, PA. As for other hobbies, I'm an avid reader, knitter, and I spin yarn. And finally, I'm a whiskey and scotch enthusiast. Usually whiskey though, scotch gets a little pricey.

• dinovici
    dinovici Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm Vic. I started running about 2 years ago but more seriously last year.

Been running one official half marathon and one 10k race but I usually do a 20k now when I go out for a run. In my best days I do 30k. My best week was when I totaled 67k of running, my average is about 40k right now but I will get back on more mileage once the weather cools down.

I used to be more about speed but now is more and more about endurance. Becoming a long distance runner is my target.

I am disorganized and I find hard to follow any running program so my game is simple: stay out of injuries and being consistent with my runs.

Cheers guys!
  • barefootyogi95
    barefootyogi95 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hey, I'm Jasper. I'm new to running, but I hope to get at least one mile done per day, for a minimum of 30 miles per month.

I'm a college student who has started running as a way to relieve stress.
  • lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Hi everyone, I discovered this by accident in one of the "recent threads" highlights on the home page. My name is Lauren and I'm from the DC Area, I'm trying to get better at running. I did my first 5k last month and I was able to run 2/3 of it (and walked the rest) so it kind of got me hooked because I saw how well I did there! I'm working up to doing a 10k next if possible.

I like to run by myself mostly though, so I don't think I'll try to do any meetups, but I would love to be able to chat with others and build up my strength.
  • KarenC1933
    KarenC1933 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi,
    I'm Karen. I've been participating in the Run the Year challenge for 3 years. I joined the Americathon challenge on July 4th. I like being active, and I love that I get to explore while exercising.
  • Chooklet57
    Chooklet57 Posts: 43 Member
    Hi I'm Anne 60yrs of age and new to running so hope to pick up some tips from this great group. I'm from Sydney Australia.
  • YouGoGorgeous
    YouGoGorgeous Posts: 2 Member
    Howdy! My name is Akayla and I am new to running. I recently lost over 20lbs and now I am trying to burn the fat. So cardio is the next move for me.
  • robdavis1
    robdavis1 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey my name is Rob and I enjoy running (Just slacked off for a few years). I just got on MFP and bought a new Garmin about 4 days ago. I currently run about 15 miles a week and want to double that and drop some pounds at the same time.

I live in South Korea and travel around Asia quite a bit and head back to the U.S. as well. I love running in new places and plan runs every time I go somewhere. I also plan to take and share pictures during these runs.

Hope to possibly meet up and run with some of you during my travels. See you on the road!

~Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer~ Percy Cerutty
  • ash_to_ash89
    ash_to_ash89 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello! My name is Ashley and I am a beginner. My friend and I are preparing to run a 5K in Sept (Southern Illinois), 1 in Oct (Kansas) and 1 in Nov (Chicago). I would like to join the challenge and set my goal for 50 miles this month. Thanks!!
  • cutepeople
    cutepeople Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,
    I'm Al, and brand new to running. I was athletic in my youth, but the running was a sprint, and when I would try for any sort of distance thing, I HATED it. I just assumed that I didn't enjoy running, and that it only served to either get away from a dog/bear, or to chase after a soccer ball.

I am no longer a youth, that youth, or what I would consider living a fully athletic life. (Of course, having a job that isn't in the forest service, does limit my opportunities for a fully athletic life.)

It isn't to say I haven't been active, I hike, I walk, I stroll an average of 5miles a day, and have done for several years now. However, running.. that would be a nope.

I had a bad back injury this year, my PT (Physical Therapist) has me do a 1/1 on the treadmill. And she worked on my stride... OHHH WOW.. I didn't know that distance running was so different. (distance being anything longer than about 20seconds of full sprint). Tiny steps, lots of tiny, quick steps.

So, time passes and we continue on to about 8 months of PT; now I am stepping away from the Treadmill to the street. I even signed up for a 5k in October. (Problem there is the local rout has around +300ft in the first half. (thankfully, minus the same in the second.. *phew*)

Any way,
    Still new to this, still recovering, and running averages around 14miles a week. Not a lot, I know, and I still do my walking. But..
    I don't have any one to run with, and of course my friends all think I am crazy. (they may be right, but .. ehhh)

So, I am here, hoping to get some distant community, and to cheer on any one pushing past what they have known.
  • Beth45375
    Beth45375 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all.
    I'm Beth. I began running in 2013 and managed several 10Ks and 1/2 marathons over the years. I haven't run sing May of 2017. Summer was hot and broke my routine. I'd like to get back to it because I've never felt so fit as when I ran. I am hopeful that this group will remind me to just go out an do it! my first goal is only 30 miles (one mile a day) beginning in September. Once I establish my routine, I'll up the goal.
    Thanks to all of you in advance!
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I’m from Out west. Living in Oakville.
    Grew up running track. Hurt my back and it’s been years since I’ ve done any running.
    Still working with physio she just told me I’d be three months till I can be back to running.
    After all these years I would settle for jogging. But hey still aiming....
    Joined the site with hopes to learn a few things along the way. But mostly support. Since it’s hard to find any one in a jogging or walking group here that is consistent to sign up with.
    So, I’m hopeful a virtual site would be better help and more fun.
  • terril18
    terril18 Posts: 13 Member
    Hey there! My name is Terri. Excited to join this group and get back to running. I used to run average of 4-6 miles a day 6 times a week till about 2012. I should have never gave it up! 6 years later and having to start from beginning, is a true struggle. I am hopeful this is the encouragement to get me back on track!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I've never done a running challenge online, but I have run several half-marathons and one full marathon. It's been 2 years since my last race and my husband and I are training for a half-marathon in November.

We ran just under 7 miles yesterday and did 2 (recovery run) today.

Total miles for September so far: 30
    Goal for September: 85
    Miles left to reach goal: 55

Seeing as we only have 14 days left in this month, the goal might not happen. We miss usually one 3-4 mile run during the work week (conflicting schedules, busy lives, you know the excuses). But we're consistently getting our long run done on Saturday morning and we just found a running group in our small town, so hopefully that will help us out. It gets SO HOT here that if we don't start early, it's really hard to get miles done.
  • baggles36
    baggles36 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello! My name is Maggie. :) I was going to wait until October to join, but thought I might as well jump in now! I have never been naturally athletic or a "runner", but I try hard to be! I have done 5 half marathons (walk and run... 3 out of the 5 mostly walking), a bunch of 5Ks, and a sprint triathlon (swimming= FAIL, haha).

I am a part-time PhD student, a full-time data analyst, and teach an adjunct course once a semester. I am also currently planning a wedding for next spring... I work out to try and control my stress. I injured myself running outside about 2 years ago and so now I just stick to treadmill (want to venture back out... we'll see). I try to run around 3 miles 5x/week. I feel like I finally (after MANY years) have hit my stride and don't feel the need to take walk breaks during most runs.

So far in September, I have run 18.1 miles and I am going to set my total monthly goal to be 50. Looking forward to meeting you all and hitting my goals!
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Good day, fellow runners. My name is Kevin. I live in Chicago.

I joined this group a couple years back when I first started running. Although I wasn't too active at the time, I must say the people that I've followed on Strava over the last couple years because of this group have been a big inspiration to me as I go through my on and off again struggles with running. I've struggled with some injuries and general life setbacks that have provided me with excuses for my time away. :smile: Seeing people comment on huge personal challenges and accomplishments, post cross training activities, and stay active throughout the year, no matter what, has really inspired me to pick things up over the last few months and see if I can turn the remainder of my 40's into constant self improvement.

In jumping back into this community I'm looking to hold myself accountable for goals, as well as get advice on anything and everything that will help me stay injury free and further my running growth.

One goal I have for next year is complete at minimum a half marathon. I've never done a road race, and will likely try a shorter distance first in the lead up, but I think it's time for me to start picking out some yearly races to increase my focus and give me something to look forward to.

I look forward to chatting with you all.
  • candidavis1
    candidavis1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey everyone! My name is Candi and I started running a few years back sporadically. In November 2017, I met a wonderful group of ladies in my town who have helped me to create consistency in my running and now I'm looking to train for my first marathon in June 2019. I am looking for accountability on nutrition and strength training as well as my long runs and speedwork (yikes!). I'm excited to follow the group and see what tidbits I might be able to pick up along the way as well as challenges to push me to better results.
  • skbrowne2033
    skbrowne2033 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi My name is Susan and I'm from Farmington Hills, MI. I just started running about 1 year ago and I run 4 miles about 4 times a week. Over 3 years I have lost 120 lbs. I am jumping into this challenge with a goal of 100 miles in October. Next summer 10K and hopefully followed by HMs. I am 68 years old.