are cravings real? or, ultimately, an excuse to eat...

2»

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member

You can actually ignore an empty stomach and do just fine- and eat at your convenience. One meal a day should do it. Maybe two.

Intermittent Fasting has been teaching me this. And maybe it's my imagination, but I swear lately I've been having slightly less pure junkfood cravings and more desire for healthier, high nutrient foods.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I genuinely think that cravings are our body's way of signalling that nutrition is out of wack. For instance, the protein goal set by MFP is quite low, and levels of protein in processed foods have decreased as the cost of meat has increased. I find that if I hit 100 grams of protein a day, and take a vitamin and mineral supplement, my cravings disappear. One theory about the obesity epidemic is that our bodies will keep signalling to eat more in an effort to fulfill our protein needs. Protein consumption has dropped 8% in the last 10 - 20? years. I don't remember the exact numbers when it comes to the years, but I have the article bookmarked at work and will post it later. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I definitely think they're real. I've recently been trying to remove added sugars from my diet, so I've done things like real oatmeal vs instant, plain greek yogurt vs flavored, water/milk instead of juice/soda, having slightly more veggies than fruit, etc.

What have I been craving? Chocolate. Which is weird, because I was never too much of a chocolate junkie. Before February, I could buy a bag of fun size chocolates and it would last for MONTHS. Now, I'd be lucky if they lasted two weeks!

Chocolate is rich in magnesium. Perhaps try taking a magnesium supplement and see if that helps. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Cravings are real, and sometimes they're an indication of your body needing something.

When I first started out here and was limiting myself to 1200 calories, I was having dreams at night about bread and cheese. Obviously, that was an indication that I wasn't eating enough.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    I've learned to give in to my cravings with a small portion of whatever it is at the time (after I make sure I'm not just thirsty, bored etc.). I do this because if I don't, I wind up "eating around the craving", trying different things but in the end eating what I really craved in the first place. The end result was actually eating more than I would have if I'd just taken care of it right away. Fortunately for me I'm past the TOM and PMS cravings, so I don't have to do it very often.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    When my husband and I crave pizza..we split a veggie flatizza..that takes care of it for about 200 calories
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Real.

However, after my protein increase, I find it hard to fit all my calories, so have to stuff myself with random items throughout the day just to meet my daily calories.

Excellent post and I so agree! Increasing protein made my random food cravings go away so much that I now have to find random food to fit my calorie goal. Best advice ever is to increase your protein intake to over 1 gram of your lean body mass. For most women that number is 100, for most men that number is 160. Your number may vary.

Protein works for me too. OTOH, if I keep getting cravings for something and they keep coming back for a couple of weeks, I'll have a small portion, enjoy it then move on. One meal, treat or day isn't going to make or break you're outcome.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Cravings are real, and sometimes they're an indication of your body needing something.

When I first started out here and was limiting myself to 1200 calories, I was having dreams at night about bread and cheese. Obviously, that was an indication that I wasn't eating enough.

No.

It was your body screaming at you to maintain the status quo with diet and calorie intake.

It has nothing to do with what the body NEEDS.

Psychological conditioning.

Your body has PLENTY of fuel on board to get you through the next two weeks, if you are of average weight and healthy, as long as you drink water.

I question this somewhat. Yes, if you are well nourished enough you have plenty of fuel for a couple of weeks and vitamins and minerals, too. But does the body really want to be driven to that point? I'm thinking it's 'low fuel' warning will come on much sooner than that. Maybe especially if any nutrients are imbalanced or low.

I'm not saying don't ignore it when appropriate, but early signaling and fat storage surely had survival value. So I'm saying the signals are real, what we choose to do about them is the issue.