Donald Sterling and the NBA

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Kobe Bryant a few years ago was fined $ 100k for yelling a gay slur at a referee. While neither is acceptable, there is a difference in yelling a slur and holding the opinion Mr. Sterling does and the pattern of behavior he exibits towards minorities.

While I generally agree, do you not think that there is a line of anti-semitism in the criticism? I'm honestly not a basketball fan so my knowledge of this subject is limited, but some of the **** that I've heard come out of peoples' mouths over this incident also had my stomach turning.

^ serious post. I probably shouldn't have done that . . .

No problem, I would be curious to know which part you thought was anti-semitic, as none was intended. And I would agree combating racism with racism is not the right thing to do.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    He's banned because he's bad for business. NBA is in the business of entertainment and making money foremost.
    That is the main reason the NBA is banning him. Pro sports in general do not care about the players. It is all about how much money can the team make.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    I can't wait to see what happens next time somebody drops the n word, or someone says something homophobic. Do they get banned too? Where is the line exactly?

The line is wherever the whim of the mob mentality decides to draw it. That's the dangerous precedent. What tune will be sung when the mob decides to take Michael Jordan's team away, for whatever reason it wishes? (Jordan is part owner of the Washington Wizards.)
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    He's banned because he's bad for business. NBA is in the business of entertainment and making money foremost.

Ok now we are getting somewhere. I still think that if they had let the markets play their part, he would have been forced to exit anyway.

You're exactly right! I think the problem is if it was allowed to play out not only would it financially effect the Clippers, it could also effect the league as a whole. Corporate sponsors would think twice before dumping ad dollars into the NBA product fearing consumer backlash.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member

Ok now we are getting somewhere. I still think that if they had let the markets play their part, he would have been forced to exit anyway.

You're exactly right! I think the problem is if it was allowed to play out not only would it financially effect the Clippers, it could also effect the league as a whole. Corporate sponsors would think twice before dumping ad dollars into the NBA product fearing consumer backlash.

Spot on.

The NBA had to stop the bleeding.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member

Agree....we have a winner! thread close
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    That is the main reason the NBA is banning him. Pro sports in general do not care about the players. It is all about how much money can the team make.

It's not just pro sports, that can be said about a lot of things in life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Kobe Bryant a few years ago was fined $ 100k for yelling a gay slur at a referee. While neither is acceptable, there is a difference in yelling a slur and holding the opinion Mr. Sterling does and the pattern of behavior he exibits towards minorities.

While I generally agree, do you not think that there is a line of anti-semitism in the criticism? I'm honestly not a basketball fan so my knowledge of this subject is limited, but some of the **** that I've heard come out of peoples' mouths over this incident also had my stomach turning.

No problem, I would be curious to know which part you thought was anti-semitic, as none was intended. And I would agree combating racism with racism is not the right thing to do.
    I'm curious about the anti-semetic comment, as well. I see no mention of Jews or Arabs ...
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

I'm not a fan of this guy by any means and I don't agree with his remarks, but I must say he is being given the death penalty by an angry mob and it's happening very very quickly. I will say again they are setting a very dangerous precedent.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member

I'm curious about the anti-semetic comment, as well. I see no mention of Jews or Arabs ...

Anti-semetic? Sterling is Jewish
  • Losing75byDecember
    Losing75byDecember Posts: 104 Member
    Why can't everyone get along and break bread together? Our society is getting worse and worse each day and it's so sad. :(
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Bought the team for 12 million if he sales market price is around 1 billion..

Just in case people didn't realize this.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I can't wait to see what happens next time somebody drops the n word, or someone says something homophobic. Do they get banned too? Where is the line exactly?

The line is wherever the whim of the mob mentality decides to draw it. That's the dangerous precedent. What tune will be sung when the mob decides to take Michael Jordan's team away, for whatever reason it wishes? (Jordan is part owner of the Washington Wizards.)

but that's exactly what public opinion is. there was a time when this would not have a been a problem because racism was considered "acceptable." Thanks to the hard work of civil rights activists, that is no more. And the reason people don't get banned for homophobic slurs is because currently the "acceptability" of homophobia is, unfortunately, still high in main stream society.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

I wasn't talking about anything you said. Let me be clear. My concern is in regard to quite a few of the heated remarks that I've seen come out in various places, and is very much what you stated above in bold.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Anti-semetic? Sterling is Jewish

Exactly. Hence what I said.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

but that's exactly what public opinion is. there was a time when this would not have a been a problem because racism was considered "acceptable." Thanks to the hard work of civil rights activists, that is no more. And the reason people don't get banned for homophobic slurs is because currently the "acceptability" of homophobia is, unfortunately, still high in main stream society.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    To summarize: follow the money trail
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    The dude is a dirty old man who cheats on his wife, and apparently quite the racist, so no love loss there. BUT, what he said was a private phone message to his old girlfriend, whom his wife has a lawsuit against, presumably for sleeping with her husband.
    I think the punishment was a bit harsh, for a private conversation.
    This IS very much a slippery slope setting a precedent for losing our freedom of speech.

I mean, if Michael Vick didn't get banned for life, no one should.

^^this^^ The Thought Police are alive and well.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Sterling's a racist idiot. But you know what? The U.S. has a right to free speech written into its Constitution. In America, he's within his rights to be a racist idiot. It's not against the law. Citizens also have the right to due process. Trial in the media or public opinion is not due process. Mob mentality advocating revenge scares me.

Your point will be valid if the US government charges Sterling with a crime for his statements. Until then I suggest you read up on constitutional law before making any more idiotic comments

Name calling? Really? The Constitutional provisions I cited would apply if Sterling fights the NBA's actions in court.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

Why doesn't using a slur mean you don't hold the opinion? If you drop the n word you're labeled a racist right? If you drop a gay slur you're by definition a homophobe right? Let's ban Kobe next!

Kobe is my least favorite NBA player and I find him vastly overrated and annoying. That being said he.

1. Said in the heat of the moment, towards a heterosexual referree. It was not a 9 minute diatribe.
    2. Recanted, apologized profusely (during the interview Silver was asked if Sterling apologized for the statements and he said not that he was aware of)
    3. Has never settled a lawsuit alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation
    4. Did not asked gay people to not attend Lakers games

Were his actions acceptable? No. Is it the same? No.

You do understand degrees right? Punching someone and murdering someone are different? You follow?

Context is important. Intent is important. History is important.
This discussion has been closed.