Donald Sterling and the NBA

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Kobe Bryant a few years ago was fined $ 100k for yelling a gay slur at a referee. While neither is acceptable, there is a difference in yelling a slur and holding the opinion Mr. Sterling does and the pattern of behavior he exibits towards minorities.

While I generally agree, do you not think that there is a line of anti-semitism in the criticism? I'm honestly not a basketball fan so my knowledge of this subject is limited, but some of the **** that I've heard come out of peoples' mouths over this incident also had my stomach turning.

^ serious post. I probably shouldn't have done that . . .

No problem, I would be curious to know which part you thought was anti-semitic, as none was intended. And I would agree combating racism with racism is not the right thing to do.
    I'm curious about the anti-semetic comment, as well. I see no mention of Jews or Arabs ...

Anti-semetic? Sterling is Jewish
    So am I. So people think the NBA is being anti-semetic by dealing out this punishment?

OK ...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Kobe Bryant a few years ago was fined $ 100k for yelling a gay slur at a referee. While neither is acceptable, there is a difference in yelling a slur and holding the opinion Mr. Sterling does and the pattern of behavior he exibits towards minorities.

While I generally agree, do you not think that there is a line of anti-semitism in the criticism? I'm honestly not a basketball fan so my knowledge of this subject is limited, but some of the **** that I've heard come out of peoples' mouths over this incident also had my stomach turning.

No problem, I would be curious to know which part you thought was anti-semitic, as none was intended. And I would agree combating racism with racism is not the right thing to do.
    I'm curious about the anti-semetic comment, as well. I see no mention of Jews or Arabs ...

So am I. So people think the NBA is being anti-semetic by dealing out this punishment?

OK ...

And with that piece of reading comprehension fail, I'm out. The feelings are too heated for discussion. Enjoy the fire . . .
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    HA, if I had the chance to record HALF of the conversations of my previous employer (I worked for 6 doctors) pretty sure they'd be out of business... just sayin'
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

OK ...

I'm confused about this as well. Though maybe some people have responded to this scenario by calling him anti-semetic names... which, we should all know, isn't ok.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member

OK ...

And with that piece of reading comprehension fail, I'm out. The feelings are too heated for discussion. Enjoy the fire . . .

You sure this time?
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

Why doesn't using a slur mean you don't hold the opinion? If you drop the n word you're labeled a racist right? If you drop a gay slur you're by definition a homophobe right? Let's ban Kobe next!

Kobe is my least favorite NBA player and I find him vastly overrated and annoying. That being said he.

1. Said in the heat of the moment, towards a heterosexual referree. It was not a 9 minute diatribe.
    2. Recanted, apologized profusely (during the interview Silver was asked if Sterling apologized for the statements and he said not that he was aware of)
    3. Has never settled a lawsuit alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation
    4. Did not asked gay people to not attend Lakers games

Were his actions acceptable? No. Is it the same? No.

You do understand degrees right? Punching someone and murdering someone are different? You follow?

Context is important. Intent is important. History is important.

I follow you but the commissioner said after his press conference today that this decision isn't a result of past incidences, it involves only this tape recording. If you want to talk about degrees then on a scale of 1 to 10 how racist were his comments really? Enough for the death penalty? I don't think so...
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    I wonder how the situation would play out had he been black, speaking of white people

It happens every day, no one gives a &*(^ because black people can't be racist against whites according to SJWs.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

OK ...

You sure this time?

only out of the serious discussion . . . This thing is bound to get locked soon anyway :bigsmile:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    My thoughts are....LETS PUT THIS MUCH EFFORT INTO FIXING OUR COUNTRY.

This is drama and only distracting us from true news.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

I wasn't talking about anything you said. Let me be clear. My concern is in regard to quite a few of the heated remarks that I've seen come out in various places, and is very much what you stated above in bold.

I haven't seen what you are referring too but that is just as wrong. It is crazy that this guy is part of one of the most (if not most) discriminated groups of people in the history of the world and holds these views.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I wonder how the situation would play out had he been black, speaking of white people

It happens every day, no one gives a &*(^ because black people can't be racist against whites according to SJWs.

http://www.upworthy.com/if-youve-never-heard-of-a-reverse-racist-watch-this-stand-up-comedy-set
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member

http://www.upworthy.com/if-youve-never-heard-of-a-reverse-racist-watch-this-stand-up-comedy-set

hey arent you the chick who thinks women should lift?
  • HerkMeOff

Why doesn't using a slur mean you don't hold the opinion? If you drop the n word you're labeled a racist right? If you drop a gay slur you're by definition a homophobe right? Let's ban Kobe next!

Kobe is my least favorite NBA player and I find him vastly overrated and annoying. That being said he.

1. Said in the heat of the moment, towards a heterosexual referree. It was not a 9 minute diatribe.
    2. Recanted, apologized profusely (during the interview Silver was asked if Sterling apologized for the statements and he said not that he was aware of)
    3. Has never settled a lawsuit alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation

You do understand degrees right? Punching someone and murdering someone are different? You follow?

I follow you but the commissioner said after his press conference today that this decision isn't a result of past incidences, it involves only this tape recording. If you want to talk about degrees then on a scale of 1 to 10 how racist were his comments really? Enough for the death penalty? I don't think so...

Is someone getting the death penalty???!
  • rm33064
    My thoughts are....LETS PUT THIS MUCH EFFORT INTO FIXING OUR COUNTRY.

This is drama and only distracting us from true news.

She's......That......Girl
  • rm33064

The basketball and social equivalent yes indeed he is.... You call this a slap on the wrist buddy?
  • rml_16
    Sterling's a racist idiot. But you know what? The U.S. has a right to free speech written into its Constitution. In America, he's within his rights to be a racist idiot. It's not against the law. Citizens also have the right to due process. Trial in the media or public opinion is not due process. Mob mentality advocating revenge scares me.

Your point will be valid if the US government charges Sterling with a crime for his statements. Until then I suggest you read up on constitutional law before making any more idiotic comments

Name calling? Really? The Constitutional provisions I cited would apply if Sterling fights the NBA's actions in court.
    No they wouldn't. The NBA isn't Congress. The First Amendment doesn't apply.

It likely comes down to the contract he would have signed.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    He's banned because he's bad for business. NBA is in the business of entertainment and making money foremost.

Ok now we are getting somewhere. I still think that if they had let the markets play their part, he would have been forced to exit anyway.

You're exactly right! I think the problem is if it was allowed to play out not only would it financially effect the Clippers, it could also effect the league as a whole. Corporate sponsors would think twice before dumping ad dollars into the NBA product fearing consumer backlash.

Professional sports leagues and franchises are media companies, first and foremost. The entire business model is dependent on the admiration and good will of the public. Whether Sterling's views were uttered in public or private, it doesn't matter. The damage is done. Clippers sponsors are already bailing. The NBA commissioner needed to act swiftly and severely to contain the damage to protect the league and the other franchise owners.

From a moral perspective, his statements are repugnant and should not be tolerated by a leader in any business. This is 2014, not 1914.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

10. His views regarding black people in that recording as intrinsically lesser people are the embodiment of racism and how slavery ever became to be in the US. If he would have been caught on tape and just called Magic Johnson the N word in anger it would not have been bad as what he said and how he has acted.

Combine that with the fact with he has power over those people and African Americans are one of the primary profit drivers behind the NBA, the death sentence as far as his involvement in the NBA was every bit warranted.
  • HerkMeOff

The basketball and social equivalent yes indeed he is.... You call this a slap on the wrist buddy?

He will still ride off into the sunset with his hundreds of millions...
  • rml_16

OK ...

It's late for me, the thread is moving quickly, I'm dealing with my fiance asking me questions as though I'm some kind of IT expert and pulling my attention from MFP as well as the multiple conversations I'm having on Facebook at the same time.

Excuse me for having a momentary lapse in following what exactly is going on here. I haven't heard any comments about him being Jewish until just now. I didn't even realize he was Jewish until just now.
This discussion has been closed.