May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Yesterday I did my first ever Workout B. I used the numbers that the StrongLifts App told me to do.

Squat: 5X5 @ 55lbs (I'm so weak ahh. even this was a struggle)
    OHP: 5X5 @ 45lbs (could have done more but going to try not to add during workouts)
    Deadlift: 5X1 @ 95lbs (could have done 100 lbs easily)

Stronglifts is teaching me to hate squats. So much hate. Haha. Happy Tuesday everyone!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Jack your shin up tuesday, who's in?

Hah, might as well laugh it off, what can you do?

Snatch Balance + OH squat x3 @ 65 / 70 / 75 / 80

Front Squats 100x5, 115x3x3
    superset with step box jumps x2 @ 24 / 24 / 20 / 20 (why the drop? I stepped in too close to the box on the 3rd set and fell on my shin. Hence the first sentence. I walked it off and was able to continue. Cuz I'm hardcore. Or stupid. Or both)

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 reps of
    - Sumo deadlift @ 115lbs
    - Push Press @ 65lbs
    - OH Squats @ 45lbs

Took 18:42. Woulda been faster if I hadn't been limping about and switching plates every exercises, but I wasn't going to hog 3 different barbells for this o.o

So who wants to train with me now :P
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    no thanks krokador, I value my shins!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Stef congrats on making your May goal early!

dldoddy, Re BB rows... One cue that works for me is to tell myself to squeeze my shoulder blades before I row. I don't know that I actually DO it before, but it helps me to get them squeezed by the top of the row. If I can't squeeze them, the weight is too heavy, I need to deload a little bit. Now, I don't know anything about protecting from injury... But it's always smart to modify to accomodate a medical condition. You could rest your head on a support (I like to use the top of an incline bench) if you think that would help? I'm of the opinion that whatever you need to do to stay healthy is what you should do.

perseverance1 that sounds like one spiffy hotel gym!!

Katterin227, I have a Yorkie too! (I know, not fitness related, sorry)

britishbrocco, I find that it's the ones that I hate the most that I feel proudest of when I progress. So even if you never love squats, maybe you will love it when you *own* them!!

krokador, think I'll pass on jack your shin up Tuesday, but hey thanks for the offer!! :laugh: Hope it isn't too awfully bad.

Yesterday I took a 30 minute walk.

This morning I trained. I did a circuit, 3 times for 12-15 reps:

goblet squat
    incline DB press
    DB swing
    Head supported DB rows
    Cable pull through
    Incline DB curls
    Cable pushdowns

I had BEASTLY DOMS from Sunday's training, but it was better after I got in there and trained this morning :drinker:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @krokador apparently I will join you, I had issues walking up the stairs this morning, hubs thought it was pretty funny to see me fail up the stairs...

Workout b this morning (I think the waking up early to do this before the kids get up is finally becoming a habit)

Squat 160 lbs 4/5/5 I got the first set but the last rep just didn't feel low enough so I will call it a fail
    OHP 50lbs 5/4/5
    DL 160 lbs 1x3

Accessories
    SLDL 120 lbs 7/8/8
    Glute bridges 65 lbs 3x8

Today's workout was full of fail and I think it was all mindset. I just couldn't push myself to get the last rep in a couple of times.
    Next workout I am going to deload squats because my race is on Saturday.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    @Llamapants: best of luck getting ready for your race!! How long of a race is it? :drinker:

Barbell complex today:

OHP: 6, 5, 6, 5
    Back squat: 6, 6, 6, 6
    Alternating reverse lunges: 12, 10, 6, 6 (omg, the light was dimming before my eyes; dying)
    Upright rows: 6, 5, 6, 6
    RDL: 6, 6, 6, 6

EDIT: Threw in 2x6 goblet squats waiting for my partner to finish up her workout.

TOM, a cold, general lack of sleep, a voice lesson later... okay, today's definitely a maintenance kind of day. :sick:
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    I just started stronglifts in early May and am a bit over 8 weeks post-partum, so I'm trying to make myself take it easy. Yesterday was day b:

OHP 4x5 @ 30 lb., 1x4 @ 30 lb. Repeat next day b
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 75 lb.
    Squat -- Had to use the machine because someone took up the rack the whole time I was there and I couldn't wait any longer. I don't like the machine, but I can lift more on that so I did 1x5 @ 70 lb. and then 4x5 @ 80 lb.

I had been running, but like lifting so much better. I haven't lost any weight since coming home from the hospital, but have definitely noticed changes since I started this program. I was put on a 6 day course of steroids yesterday so it'll be interesting to see how much I gain from that and whether lifting affects it.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    omg Krok. When I was in 9th grade track the introduced the high jump for the first time, and anyone who wanted to test it could. At the last second I guess I didn't trust myself to jump backwards and somehow did a weird sideways jump and hit my shin on the bar. After the bloody mess healed I had a bruise there until it finally faded in my early 20s. :laugh: I think that counts for a lifetime of Tuesdays!

I'm off today because it was my turn to work Saturday. Hooray! I did my 531 "1" day squat last night, and I'll do bench today. Then off to get a hair cut. The last person I went to completely jacked up my hair. 5-6" off for a "trim" and it has an awful shape.

Re: cheese curds. Hooray for the northern midwest. I'm from MI, and moved to PA a year and a half agoish. I was so happy that soon after I moved here a local dairy started selling cheese curds. They even squeaked! OMNOMNOMNOM. A bunch of the French settlers stayed in what is now Quebec, but a bunch also continued on and settled in WI/MI which probably spread the cheese curd love throughout North America. Important history right there :laugh:

Squat workout 531 "1" week

Back squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5. 215x5, 240x3, 270x5

Front squat
    135 3x10 I feel less like I want to pass out after 10 of these, and some couple at the gym told me I made them look easy. Progress!

Skipped reverse lunge due to pulled quad. Nothing else seems to bother it.

Hip thrusts
    BW 4x15

Ab Wheel
    3x8 I'm getting kinda good at these. Soon I might be up to 20 per set as Wendler recommends. :laugh:

Back extension
    25# 3x10

2mile walk with a .5 mile jog thrown in the middle somewhere
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @Llamapants: best of luck getting ready for your race!! How long of a race is it?
    Just a 5k but it's my first and everyone has to start somewhere
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    @Llamapants: best of luck getting ready for your race!! How long of a race is it?
    Just a 5k but it's my first and everyone has to start somewhere
    Awesome! Have a ton of fun. I can barely run a full mile, but maybe someday I'll train up to a 5k.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Did a 3.75 mile walk at work today, but Fitbit logged it as only 2.25 miles. :angryface: Just finished up with this wonderful workout:
    DL’s - 2x5 - 160lbs

5 rounds - empty bar
    5x Bi curls
    5x Squats
    5x OHP
    5x Side lunges
    5x Upright rows
    5x wide pushups

ETA: Oh, and I got gnarly sunburn on my chest from the walk outside. Then I came home to my husband being whiny because he has the manflu. Man I love him, but thank goodness he's now doped up on Nyquil!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Did the crossfit thing on Sat, and saw my trainer yesterday, so this week is a 2x SL week.

Yesterday with the trainer he had me squat heavy to see what I could do. Had me warm up with the bar then moved up to 75, had me do 10 reps of 75. I believe then we went straight to 135 because he is insane. lol...I ALMOST had it, but my left knee wanted to buckle and he spotted me. We went again and I couldn't do the second rep either. Boo.

However, I did do 3 reps at 115. :) And fairly "easily".

After that I did 3 rounds of 10 hanging leg raises, 15 pistol squats, 20 pushups where I go all the way to the floor and pick up my hands between each, and 15 kettlebell swings. 20 pounds maybe?

Today I foam rolled and gonna do an easy 1.25 mile jog.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Short workout because I was short on time :(

Squat 75kg 5x5 (1.25kg plates were taken so I went for 75kg... yay)
    Overhead press 30kg (the aforementioned squats drained the life out of me... I'll do 32.5kg again next time)
    Deadlift 65kg 1x5

Upright dumbbell row 10 kg dumbbells 1x8
    Dumbbell side lateral raises 5kg 3x8
    Leg press 52kg 1x8
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Worked with my trainer yesterday. I just follow what he says. Sometimes it is nice not to have to think about it. It was a good workout. I am starting to feel stronger all around.

Hopefully the weather holds out and I can get a bike ride in tonight.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Wow ladies! You guys are killing it with the weight!

My weekend was jam packed so I didn't manage to get a lift in as I had intended. I did manage to squeeze in a workout on Friday night though. I did a video from fitnessblender and half way through, I realized I had clicked the wrong video. I did 25 minutes of abs hoping the HIIT would eventually come, but it didnt! So I ended up finding a kickboxing video to do afterwards.

Yesterday was workout B

Squats @ 125lbs
    5x5

OHP @ 60lbs
    4, 3, 0 ... then I said F-it and I lowered the weight to 55lbs and did 2x5 ... I know it wasn't what the program said to do, but I just couldn't lift the 60lbs anymore.

DL @ 135lbs
    These felt so good!

My weekend eating is still ****ty.. ****tier then ever tbh. I have maintained my weight which is great, but still no losses. Honestly though, Im not even mad about it. I just am enjoying getting stronger and eating the foods that taste good.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    So, the hotel I stayed at turned out to have a full-blown gym, including weight machines and aerobic machines (although the elliptical and recumbent ellipticals they had were really good, and they had some exercise bikes and treadmills), and free weights...they had a great squat rack.

Fancy! I am jelly... all the hotels I ever stay at always have crap fitness rooms.
    Agreed, I was thinking, well they will probably have an elliptical or treadmill somewhere so I can get some cardio. My jaw dropped when I saw the full-blown gym on one side of the hall and the olympic sized pool with the swim lanes on the other. Because Grand Island is a fairly small island (near Niagara Falls) the gym was never crowded if you went early in the morning or after dinner,and even when I saw a lot of people, it was really not a lot...the gyms around here have people packed like sardines.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Workout B today

Squat: 5x5 65 lbs (Warmup: 1x5 25, 2x5 45)
    OHP: 1x3, 1x4 45 lbs, 1x5 40 lbs (Warmup 1x5 25, 1x5 35)
    Deadlift: 1x5 105 lbs :drinker: (Warmup 2x5 45, 1x5 65, 1x5 85)

Last week I did squats at 70, but I felt like my form was terrible and the weight was just too much for me. So today I dropped back to 65 and worked on form. I used a wider stance and pointed my feet out wider, and lo and behold I actually felt like I was lifting from my bum and my inner thighs rather than my quads! It was a lot easier to keep my back straight, too. This stance feels harder (no way I could have done 70) since I think my quads are strongest right now, so I'm going to stay at this weight next time just to keep form.

OHP is still killing me. I barely made it through the first two sets, dropped to 40 for the third, then couldn't even start set 4. So that's something to work on.

On the bright side, I broke 100 lbs on deadlift!

So a mixed bag workout overall, but considering how tired I am after long weekend partying and a new full time retail job this week, I feel like I did pretty well :smile: And I have high hopes for Friday now that I'm figuring out my squatting issues.
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    I've got my setup in my basement now and have done my first real SL5x5 workouts this week. I'm loving it so far, although it's a little lonely down there! Next week my daughters will be home and they want to lift with me. My 15 year old outlifts me and I figure I can give my 9 year old some 5 pound dumbbells, although she's saying she wants to use the bar!

Workout A
    Squats 5x5@55
    Bench 5x5@65
    BB Row 5x5@65

Workout B
    Squats 5x5@60
    OHP 5x5@50 (I did 60 pounds last week, but I'm a little afraid to go as heavy with these without a spotter)
    Deadlift 1x5@135 1x5@155 1x5@165

My squats suck so much. I have to be the only woman here who benches more than she squats. I am going past parallel and I can really feel it in my glutes, so I guess that's good.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    So, the hotel I stayed at turned out to have a full-blown gym, including weight machines and aerobic machines (although the elliptical and recumbent ellipticals they had were really good, and they had some exercise bikes and treadmills), and free weights...they had a great squat rack.

Fancy! I am jelly... all the hotels I ever stay at always have crap fitness rooms.
    Agreed, I was thinking, well they will probably have an elliptical or treadmill somewhere so I can get some cardio. My jaw dropped when I saw the full-blown gym on one side of the hall and the olympic sized pool with the swim lanes on the other. Because Grand Island is a fairly small island (near Niagara Falls) the gym was never crowded if you went early in the morning or after dinner,and even when I saw a lot of people, it was really not a lot...the gyms around here have people packed like sardines.

That sounds awesome! The hotel I stayed in last week in Puerto Rico was the complete opposite. No gym at all (I guess they figure people are there on vacation, why do they want to workout?), and my room was no bigger than a closet. I s&%t you not, there was about a foot on either side of the bed and that was it! I tried doing some pushups and body weight stuff, but without opening the door to the room and having half of my body sticking out into the hallway it just wasn't going to happen. So I ate a lot of yummy food and had too much rum instead! :drinker:

Got back to it last night with workout B. It was pretty awful, should have deloaded maybe 5 pounds on everything but wanted to give it a try and see what I could do. Apparently that was a bad idea. :grumble:

Squats - 5,5,4,3,4 at 115 lbs. My knee felt a little weird for some reason, nothing serious though.
    OHP - 3,3,4,4,3 at 75 lbs. Whatevs.
    DL - 1x4 at 165 lbs. These weren't too bad but my knee buckled on the last rep so I skipped going for number 5.

@krok - your workouts scare me and I'm pretty sure I would hurt something too if I trained with you.
    @hwillmott - great job on your breakthroughs!!
    @llama - good luck on your 5K!

And welcome to all the new faces!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Great workouts all!

@viglet-my weekend eating gets out of control, too. Mainly on Fridays. I just need a day where I'm not obsessed with tracking.
    @Coadymarie-I started doing a wider stance today and I agree that it feels better and easier to get to depth.

Workout on Monday was kind of meh

Squats: 155 lbs 3x5 I was having some lower back pain from these. I'm guessing my form is breaking down.
    Rows: 115 lbs 3x5 Still having trouble getting these to my chest. :grumble:
    OHP: 75 lbs 5-5-4 Gosh, that seriously tough! Guy that watched me deadlift last week told me I was strong.

I skipped deadlift on this day due to my lower back pain. I didn't want to aggravate anything.

Workout today was still a little meh and I really felt weak. It's the week before TOM and I find that I'm weaker during this week and then when TOM hits, I'm a beast. Go figure.

Squats: 150 lbs 3x5 I stayed here due to working on my form and making sure my lower back was neutral. I'll pick back up on Friday.
    Bench: 105 lbs. 4-4-4 Really tough today. It wasn't as hard last week.
    Deadlift: 205 lbs. I stayed here as well, just to make sure my back is where it needs to be. I should be able to lift that 245 lb-er for 5 reps next week :bigsmile:

On an unrelated note, I put cottage cheese in my smoothie for the first time today. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but I really like the texture it gives.