Cows milk vs almond milk

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Because someone erroneously labeled it milk and due to that, we now have to compare the two, pretending that one can substitute the other.
    Well, peanut butter isn't butter but it's still called that... and it's a much more recent product. Fix that labeling mistake first, and then we'll see.

To butter means to spread. Since its a spread, it actually makes perfect sense.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    I have lactose issue once in a while so I use lactose free milk in my scrambled eggs. I love almond milk on oatmeal. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    frankly, at this point, I don't think I can stomach either one.

Better give it to your cats then....the living ones.

they were barn cats...only the strong survive on the farm.

Perhaps almond milk will speed up the process of your super-cat breeding program.;
  • Aaron_K123
    As to those people who were saying we weren't "meant" to drink animal milk and we should drink almond milk instead I felt like I should mention that a natural almond has enough cyanide that eating a small handful would literally kill you and it was only through artificial breeding, selection and domestication that we made them edible but then I thought there was probably no point in mentioning that.

There is a reason that cyanide smells like almonds. Its because the "almond" smell is cyanide.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    where are all the gratuitous Pulp Fiction GIFs?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    I'll admit I assumed incorrectly that almond milk had protein in it because, you know...almonds.

So now that I look it up nutritionally and see that it is mostly carbohydrates...which is a bit odd considering almonds, I have to ask....how much of "almond milk" is actually from almonds and/or how much post-processing is involved?

How do you mulch a food that is pretty much mostly protein and fat (nuts), mix it with water and end up with something that is mostly carbs? I guess you do that then you boil it or something to denature the protein and separate the fat? But then you basically just have sugar water.

I'm confused. What exactly is almond milk? Have to go look this up now.

Alright yeah so they grind up almonds in water...then they strain that out removing much of the protein and fat (you know, what is actually making up almonds) and then they add a lot of sweetener...hence the carbohydrates.

Wierd.

So how is this a substitute for milk? Milk is calorically mostly protein and fat with some carbs, this is calorically mostly carbs with some protein and fat...they seem like nutritional polar opposites.

Because someone erroneously labeled it milk and due to that, we now have to compare the two, pretending that one can substitute the other.

Thankfully in Canada they are not allowed to label it as milk. It's "soy beverage" or "almond beverage".
  • Aaron_K123
    Thankfully in Canada they are not allowed to label it as milk. It's "soy beverage" or "almond beverage".

I guess...but was anyone really confused on this point? Currently have a very strange mental image of an almond with breasts.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    The whole pus thing is true, I know milk sold in the USA would be illegal to sell in the UK as it doesn't meet European Standards - it has too high of a pus content.
    There's lots of gross stuff in milk, it's something I'm trying to phase out of my diet entirely.
    Can you tell me where you got that information???? You should read up on the guidelines that Grade A. Farmers have to follow to even sell milk. If their SSC count is too high they can not sell to the public. That is somatic cell count. Worked at a dairy lab and such strict guidelines and farm inspected weekly so dont tell the public something that is absolutely not true.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    I vote for coconut milk!!! :-) yum!
  • Mygsds
    I would say cows milk, assuming you are using whole milk from grass fed cows... otherwise its not milk any longer after its been pasteurized and homogenized because they've removed all the healthy bacteria's & nutrients... Also, if its not organic you are consuming hormones & antibiotics so keep that in mind as well.
    Not to be snarky here but what a rediculous statement. I stated earlier , I worked in a dairy lab that had 7200 patrons selling to it. Before a tanker of milk from a farm is unloaded the first test is for antibiotics. Simply because some people being allergic to it. If there is antibiotics found it is traced back to the farm and he pays for the entire load of milk. This is between 8-9 thousand dollars. So no antibiotics are not in milk.. You really should check out the guidelines that each farmer who sells grade A have to adhere to.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food. Anyone who want's to omit it from their diet or go for inferior low fat versions is just being stupid. I'm sorry but what? Even whole milk doesn't have THAT many calories. And pretty much all the calories are packed full of nutritional goodness. Unless you are intolerant to dairy there is literally no sensible reason to avoid cows milk.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food. Anyone who want's to omit it from their diet or go for inferior low fat versions is just being stupid. I'm sorry but what? Even whole milk doesn't have THAT many calories. And pretty much all the calories are packed full of nutritional goodness. Unless you are intolerant to dairy there is literally no sensible reason to avoid cows milk.

Well this is just silly.
    People can omit milk from their diet for all sorts of valid reasons.

Yes milk is a mammals 'secret weapon' - for nourishment of their young.
    I have no issues with cows milk for human children/ adults - but that's not to say anyone who doesn't use it is stupid.

But perhaps i am just too stupid to understand, you know, being someone who uses the inferior low fat version.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food.

I would agree with this part of your statement, and replace mammal with humanity's. Our mutation that enabled us to process milk as adults is probably part of the reason we are the dominant species on the planet. We now had a food source that would convert inedible plants into food for us, but we could take that nourishment from them on the go without having to expend energy hunting them (elk, deer) or slaughter them to get it (pigs). They could go with us from camp to camp or hang out at our farm when we started settling down.

The only reason dairy cows are on the North American or Australian continents is our ancestors thought they were valuable enough animals to load them on the ships (and ships were tiny and cargo space valuable) with them to cross. They didn't migrate here on their own, Europeans brought them.

Of course we are being very Euro-centric and focusing on cow's milk, even though humans also regularly drink sheep, goat, and horse milk. I believe even reindeer milk in ingested in parts of the world. I wonder what the response would be in parts of the world where people still live in traditional societies and drink milk straight from their own reindeer/yak/whatever to someone walking up and telling them that "humans aren't supposed to drink milk".
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    I'll admit I assumed incorrectly that almond milk had protein in it because, you know...almonds.

So now that I look it up nutritionally and see that it is mostly carbohydrates...which is a bit odd considering almonds, I have to ask....how much of "almond milk" is actually from almonds and/or how much post-processing is involved?

How do you mulch a food that is pretty much mostly protein and fat (nuts), mix it with water and end up with something that is mostly carbs? I guess you do that then you boil it or something to denature the protein and separate the fat? But then you basically just have sugar water.

Alright yeah so they grind up almonds in water...then they strain that out removing much of the protein and fat (you know, what is actually making up almonds) and then they add a lot of sweetener...hence the carbohydrates.

Wierd.

So how is this a substitute for milk? Milk is calorically mostly protein and fat with some carbs, this is calorically mostly carbs with some protein and fat...they seem like nutritional polar opposites.

they call it soy/almond milk in ontario if m not mistaken, i never buy the stuff though
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    As to those people who were saying we weren't "meant" to drink animal milk and we should drink almond milk instead I felt like I should mention that a natural almond has enough cyanide that eating a small handful would literally kill you and it was only through artificial breeding, selection and domestication that we made them edible but then I thought there was probably no point in mentioning that.

There is a reason that cyanide smells like almonds. Its because the "almond" smell is cyanide.

I could write an essay on how we're not "meant" to eat any citrus produced in the US either based on the standards dictated here. Virtually nothing we eat today is how it exists in nature, and that includes the produce section as well as the dairy and meat sections of the grocery store.

The argument that we're not meant to drink milk because we're the only species that drinks milk past infancy, and it happens to be from another animal, is laughable. We're the only species that talks too, so are we not supposed to do that?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Wierd.

I find if ironic that the added nutrients to almond milk are heralded ( calcium, vit d, vit A) while they are poopooed by even the Harvard School of Public Health for vit a in milk and added nutrients are poopooed in wheat and cereal products.

I personally am of the opinion that "fortification" is a valuable tool to ensure an adequately nourished population which may not consume "ideal" foods. I just find some things ironic.

Yeah, I don't get why some folks think it's bad to add vitamins to your food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

My question is who is deciding this, what we are "meant" to do? Is it God or Mother Nature or some vegan novelist? As a kid, my parents decided these things. As an adult, I decide these things for myself and then make decisions for my kids.

What gives anyone else the right to decide what I'm "meant" to do?
  • Mygsds

I could write an essay on how we're not "meant" to eat any citrus produced in the US either based on the standards dictated here. Virtually nothing we eat today is how it exists in nature, and that includes the produce section as well as the dairy and meat sections of the grocery store.

The argument that we're not meant to drink milk because we're the only species that drinks milk past infancy, and it happens to be from another animal, is laughable. We're the only species that talks too, so are we not supposed to do that?
    . This:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    have no issues with cows milk for human children/ adults - but that's not to say anyone who doesn't use it is stupid.

Agreed.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    My almond milk tastes great and is only 30 calories a cup. Cow's milk messes with my sinuses and I don't like the taste. The ONLY thing almond milk won't do is congeal instant pudding...but it still works fine if you use half as much and add a bowl of Cool Whip Free.