Cows milk vs almond milk

191011121315»

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food.

Of course we are being very Euro-centric and focusing on cow's milk, even though humans also regularly drink sheep, goat, and horse milk. I believe even reindeer milk in ingested in parts of the world. I wonder what the response would be in parts of the world where people still live in traditional societies and drink milk straight from their own reindeer/yak/whatever to someone walking up and telling them that "humans aren't supposed to drink milk".

I've stopped buying cow's milk from the store because I've started working with a herd of dairy goats and find I enjoy that milk more. I don't find anything wrong with cow's milk, though, and will go back to drinking it if I have to leave the farm work--at least until I can get a few goats of my own. Goat's milk is pretty awesome and it makes terrific cheese.

What happened to the calves that were born from the dairy cows?

I can't personally speak to what happens with calves, but we leave most of the kids with their mothers until they are ready to be weaned. After a couple of weeks they might be separated from their mothers overnight so that the does can make more milk and stretch their udders--the does will produce enough milk to accommodate the kid(s) and milking both. If the doe is in the show herd and she is being nursed on so that her udder is uneven (one side larger than the other) the kid(s) is(are) moved to a smaller pen and are bottle fed. Bottle feeding is done with the milk produced on the farm and is never done before the kid's mother has stopped producing colostrum.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I drink unsweetened almond milk for smoothies and cereal. Real, whole milk n my coffee. Fake milks screw up the taste.
    Almond milk is higher in calcium than cows milk.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I prefer cows milk for the high protein content, which you won't get from milk substitutes. But if you're meeting your protein goals elsewhere then use whichever milk you enjoy most.

Some soy milk is comparable in protein to cow's milk.
    I suspect we can compare the protein in cow's milk to virtually any other source of protein, really. "Comparable" here isn't really a big qualifier or selling point.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    The reason that it was taken out of the plant that I worked at was because ours was a powder plant. 90% of the end product was made into baby formula. I never looked into this any more than the testing but it had something to do,with the immune system of a infant. This plant dried about a million lbs. in a 24 hour period. Most was sent to Australia, Philippines and China. Such strong regulations especially when sold internationally. I totally know you were not bashing the milk industry but when people read pus it's kind of a turn off without reading your example which was spot on..
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Everything that is "natural" is not good for you.

and not everyone can correctly identify sarcasm

The bird struggles with that, as seen on other threads.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member

Is that so?????????????
  • WendyTerry420

Is that so?????????????

Obviously. Aaron was being sarcastic. It is difficult to tell in text sometimes. *shrugs*
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food. Anyone who want's to omit it from their diet or go for inferior low fat versions is just being stupid. I'm sorry but what? Even whole milk doesn't have THAT many calories. And pretty much all the calories are packed full of nutritional goodness. Unless you are intolerant to dairy there is literally no sensible reason to avoid cows milk.

Well this is just silly.
    People can omit milk from their diet for all sorts of valid reasons.

Yes milk is a mammals 'secret weapon' - for nourishment of their young.
    I have no issues with cows milk for human children/ adults - but that's not to say anyone who doesn't use it is stupid.

But perhaps i am just too stupid to understand, you know, being someone who uses the inferior low fat version.

Yes you are.
  • WendyTerry420
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food.

Of course we are being very Euro-centric and focusing on cow's milk, even though humans also regularly drink sheep, goat, and horse milk. I believe even reindeer milk in ingested in parts of the world. I wonder what the response would be in parts of the world where people still live in traditional societies and drink milk straight from their own reindeer/yak/whatever to someone walking up and telling them that "humans aren't supposed to drink milk".

I've stopped buying cow's milk from the store because I've started working with a herd of dairy goats and find I enjoy that milk more. I don't find anything wrong with cow's milk, though, and will go back to drinking it if I have to leave the farm work--at least until I can get a few goats of my own. Goat's milk is pretty awesome and it makes terrific cheese.

What happened to the calves that were born from the dairy cows?

I can't personally speak to what happens with calves, but we leave most of the kids with their mothers until they are ready to be weaned. After a couple of weeks they might be separated from their mothers overnight so that the does can make more milk and stretch their udders--the does will produce enough milk to accommodate the kid(s) and milking both. If the doe is in the show herd and she is being nursed on so that her udder is uneven (one side larger than the other) the kid(s) is(are) moved to a smaller pen and are bottle fed. Bottle feeding is done with the milk produced on the farm and is never done before the kid's mother has stopped producing colostrum.

I used to buy goat's milk at my local grocer from a local dairy. For some reason they quit selling it. I miss the goat's milk. Loved it~!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    Milk is a mammal's secret weapon. A total super food. Anyone who want's to omit it from their diet or go for inferior low fat versions is just being stupid. I'm sorry but what? Even whole milk doesn't have THAT many calories. And pretty much all the calories are packed full of nutritional goodness. Unless you are intolerant to dairy there is literally no sensible reason to avoid cows milk.

Well this is just silly.

I have no issues with cows milk for human children/ adults - but that's not to say anyone who doesn't use it is stupid.

But perhaps i am just too stupid to understand, you know, being someone who uses the inferior low fat version.

Yes you are.

Well there you go.

Please Continue on with your intelligent contributions to this debate.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Still waiting on that study. Guessing its not coming.
    Yeah, where is that study?

Hard to post something that doesn't exist.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    In cereal, I always choose skim (cow's) milk. Life is short and that's the taste I like in my cereal, which I don't eat often, so I'm not going to switch. For my smoothies, which I have daily, I use unsweetened coconut milk because it has the fewest calories and just adds a bit of substance/flavor (I use So Delicious vanilla flavor). As long as you're hitting your calories and marcos for the day, I'd say go with what you prefer!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member

Well this is just silly.

Yes you are.

Well there you go.

Well what do you expect? You apparently don't even know that one of the reasons milk is so good for you is because of the fat in it. If you take that away you remove those calories yes but you are crippling it's nutritional quality. And it's not just about the fat itself. (Though that is believe it or not good for you) The fat aids in the uptake of the other nutrients in the milk. There is literally nothing more silly than low fat milk. If you want to reduce the calories a bit you can use semi skimmed like I do. But low fat milk just makes me face-palm. The key to a good diet is to eat good nutritionally packed calories. Not to minimize the calories in every piece of food so you can stuff yourself full of empty bumf.
  • I've recently swapped cows milk for almond milk in all my cereals and protein shakes, simply for the fact that difference in calorie content is massive when you're putting away a litre or more a day.

Not traded everywhere though - still have regular milk in tea & coffee though, as there's no worthy substitute for that!
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    or even The Jungle by Upton Sinclair - learn how your food is made.

I don't think that The Jungle is a timely, cutting edge expose on current food production practices.

Also, Almond milk isn't natural either. You have to process almonds to make them into something you can call "milk".
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member

Well this is just silly.

Yes you are.

Well there you go.

Well what do you expect? You apparently don't even know that one of the reasons milk is so good for you is because of the fat in it. If you take that away you remove those calories yes but you are crippling it's nutritional quality. And it's not just about the fat itself. (Though that is believe it or not good for you) The fat aids in the uptake of the other nutrients in the milk. There is literally nothing more silly than low fat milk. If you want to reduce the calories a bit you can use semi skimmed like I do. But low fat milk just makes me face-palm. The key to a good diet is to eat good nutritionally packed calories. Not to minimize the calories in every piece of food so you can stuff yourself full of empty bumf.

Wow settle down. :huh:

I don't stuff myself full of every piece of food full of empty bumf, whatever that is.

I like low fat milk.

There are many variations on 'good diets' - mine is doing fine for me, thanks.

If other people prefer full fat milk, almond milk, soy milk, any other milk, no milk at all, that's fine too.

Yes I could use semi skimmed milk like you do, everyone could do as you do - or they could do something different.
    Doing differently to you isn't necessarily silly, you know.