DO YOU EAT WHAT YOU WANT EVERY DAY?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Eating what I want is how I got here.

Exactly.

A lot of people here are saying, "Why of course I eat what I want. I just control how much I eat."

To me, that's not eating "what you want."

What I want to eat is half the medium Papa John's The Works pizza.

You can't talk about "eating what you want" and exclude quantity from the conversation.

When I'm on a diet, I never get to eat "what I want". If I did, I would gain weight.

i'm not on a diet. also i've never wanted to eat half a pizza, or a tub of ice cream, or an entire package of oreos that would just make me sick and want to vomit. i however had no problem eating 5 oreos with a cup of ice cream after having a hamburger and french fries for dinner. now i am full after a hamburger, french fries, 1/4 cup of ice cream and one oreo. (half the time i don't bother with the ice cream and oreos because i'm full after just the burger and fries)

it's a matter of recognizing when your full and stopping instead of stuffing your pie hole until you vomit. everyone is different and we all view eating what we want differently too. the big question is what happens when "you're not on a diet"
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    no. i eat what YOU want.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    As long as I stay in my calorie goal for the day, I have what I want.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    I try to fit in an oreo or two, and some ice cream! Peanut butter is an everyday thing (it fits into my macros, and it's healthy all-natural! Sometimes Nutella, or reeses will make an appearance too!

Brownie with 2 Oreos & Peanut Butter In The Center

64830_10152730165045230_1913703337_n.jpg

Do I want to eat these every day? YES!!

Do I? ... no :frown:

Oh my gahhhh. 3 of my favorite foods in the world.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member

Exactly.

A lot of people here are saying, "Why of course I eat what I want. I just control how much I eat."

You can't talk about "eating what you want" and exclude quantity from the conversation.

When I'm on a diet, I never get to eat "what I want". If I did, I would gain weight.

Spot on in my case.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member

Exactly.

I want to eat half a pizza, but I also want to lose weight.

So really it is a matter of balancing what I want, to get the best outcome.

Some days that will mean forgoing the half a pizza, but other days I will eat half a pizza, but maybe eat less of something else. Or maybe just say "Ok, today I will eat more, but tomorrow I will eat less"

I want to eat as much food as I can while still losing weight.

So, yes, I do eat what I want, in the long term, even if that means forgoing some of the things I want to eat in the short term.

And also, I eat a small portion of chocolate everyday, which I think is what the OP was asking about.
    I also eat a variety of fruit, vegetables and protein sources.
  • waluouija
    waluouija Posts: 61 Member
    I don't eat what I want as much as I used to.

Mostly I just avoid pasta altogether because that's my ultimate diet breaker. If I let myself cook it, I will undoubtedly eat too much of it and then conveniently "forget" to log it, and then my whole diet falls apart. And I don't let myself have donuts or cakes or anything high-calorie, sweet, and delicious.

I do still indulge in ice cream a little, though. If it's low-fat I can handle it. I've found that it's a lot easier to have reasonable portions of it when I buy small cones to eat it out of, rather than just having an empty-looking bowl. (I should probably invest in little ice cream bowls so I won't have to add on the calories and sugar from eating a cone with my ice cream.)

Oh! And I've had this thing of chips ahoy mint chocolate chewy chips for a month or so. They're REALLY good. I only let myself eat two of them per day, though. And only if I'm low on calories when it's close to the end of the day. But I'm really proud of myself for making that pack last for so long, because two months ago when I didn't care, I would probably have eaten the whole box in one sitting. I've come a long way from that.

Oh, and I NEVER eat chips anymore. That's another diet-breaker for me. Not even the small snack-size bags.

Idk, I've heard that going on food-restrictive diets will just make a person's relapses even harder, but I've always wanted to go on a really healthy diet. I'm just scared that if I get frustrated by it, I'll fall back onto my old eating habits and start eating whole pizzas and whole boxes of pasta at 2 am.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    I could, if it fits my calories/macros, though I strive to eat healthy most of the week and allow for food "i want" occasionally. I eat fast food once or twice a week, and am happily losing 1-2 lbs per week.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    I eat what I want, but I do have some rules. No pasta, rice, white potatoes or fried foods. I also have some daily cheats that I reserve calories for such as corn bread, and full calorie salad dressing. I also have an aunt annie's pretzel every friday. I have tried to be 100% sugar free, and carb free and free-free and it just doesn't work. I can do it for short intervals, but living my life like that just isn't something I have the discipline or desire to do. So now my focus is moderation and healthy LIMITS. For example a small chocolate sundae instead of a large chocolate sundae, every few weeks is just fine as long as it doesn't make me go over my calories. If I do go over, I work my butt off in the gym to make sure that I balance out my day. I also had in my mind that I was going to lose 100 pounds in one year (after all so many other MFP's have done it) and I had to take a hard reality check and realize that I cannot be that no sugar 1200 calorie no carb girl. I started out that way and I would binge, feel horrible and be terribly hungry all the time. I had to change my thinking. It has taken me eight months just to lose 30 pounds, but at least I feel good and in control most of the time. I don't mind if it takes a little longer to lose the 100 pounds, I just have ot keep moving forward.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Exactly.

When you are on a diet....

So do you gain all the weight back when you come off the diet? Or do you plan to stay on a diet your whole life?

Diet, life style change , calorie restriction - fill in the blank with whatever you want to call it!
  • MelodyandBarbells

Exactly.

i'm not on a diet. also i've never wanted to eat half a pizza, or a tub of ice cream, or an entire package of oreos that would just make me sick and want to vomit. i however had no problem eating 5 oreos with a cup of ice cream after having a hamburger and french fries for dinner. now i am full after a hamburger, french fries, 1/4 cup of ice cream and one oreo. (half the time i don't bother with the ice cream and oreos because i'm full after just the burger and fries)

it's a matter of recognizing when your full and stopping instead of stuffing your pie hole until you vomit. everyone is different and we all view eating what we want differently too. the big question is what happens when "you're not on a diet"

So basically you gained weight eating no uncontrolled quantities of anything? If indeed you did, then replace "half a pizza" with those items. The man speaks truth! (For me, at least).
  • liorabi
    liorabi Posts: 6 Member
    I eat what i want as long as it's VEGAN :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Exactly.

So basically you gained weight eating no uncontrolled quantities of anything? If indeed you did, then replace "half a pizza" with those items. The man speaks truth! (For me, at least).

Exactly for you. :tongue: We all aren't here for the same thing.
  • MelodyandBarbells

Exactly.

Exactly for you. :tongue: We all aren't here for the same thing.

Do I hear an echo here? :laugh: At least answer why/if the concept of ever eating oodles of foodles is completely foreign to you!!

Edit: ah I see you already did. Basically once upon a time you might have wanted to but currently not any more :flowerforyou: guess we're simply not all at the same stage in our journey. :smile:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    I lost about 40lbs back in college (probably 5-6 years ago) eating mostly what I wanted, as long as it was with in my calorie goal.

I was successful at it. Lost it over 4-5 months. I then maintained it for a year or so. It worked for me.

Unfortunately, I let things slip when I wasn't in a good place wasn't loving myself... that's why I'm back here.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    To echo the above, I eat the foods I want to eat, but not as much as I want to eat. So, no, I don't really eat what I want every day.

Excluding quantity is a lot like asking someone if he spends as much as he wants every day. The fact that I limit myself to what I can afford doesn't mean I don't want to spend more, whether it's money or calories. It's a rare person who couldn't spend more money if he had it to spend.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    I love sweets sadly, and I do eat them if I can fit them into my calorie limit. However, my sweet tooth has been out of hand so I am limiting my in take and removing somethings until I can back on track again.
  • KatMicNYC
    KatMicNYC Posts: 20 Member
    Yes, I do actually eat what I want, within reason of course. I don't feel deprived but I do feel a bit rerouted. Those cakes you see behind the Starbucks counter, that's what I would choose for breakfast if I wasn't working MFP, and the old me would have a big lunch without regard to how big that sandwich is or that burrito and all the extras. I guess the "oblivious" me just indulges in all things without regard to how many calories I'm taking in. That behavior is way past just allowing myself what I want it's destructive, unintelligent, gluttonous behavior and I'm petrified of going back to it.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I balance eating what I NEED (like mah micros--eating my leafy greens, veggies, grains, etc.) with what I WANT (mmm, I like my TexMex--beans and rice and tortillas, even those are good for me, too). Also, financial constraints (lack of income or practicing frugality and moderation in times of abundance) help me feed myself and my family with moderation in mind. Treats happen rarely, but often enough to feed the soul (um, treats are FUN) and create memories for the kids (ice cream run, burger run, pizza, "fun meal" etc. once a week).