Cardio Vs. Lifting

1235»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I love the idea of HIIT as opposed to steady state cardio and once I'm a bit lighter and some personal situations (meaning I can get to work out out of the home) change I actually want to start running as well :)

the two are complementary, while training at a higher intensity is going to lead to a higher calorie expenditure during the session, the fact that it's a very short session means that the total expenditure isn't particularly high.

Notwithstanding that the pysiological effects of steady state at a moderate intensity and high intensity intervals are somewhat different. the steady state improves endurance, the intervals have the potential to help increase oxygen uptake; VO2Max. Increasing VO2Max helps to raise the base metabolic rate over time.

The gains from high intensity intervals are significantly increased by improving aerobic endurance.

For general health it's not even cardio and resistance, its steady state moderate intensity cardio, high intensity interval cardio and resistance.

All that said, I can understand why so many whose training revolves around the gym dislike steady state cardio work, machines are incredibly boring. Personally I can't stand a treadmill for as much as ten minutes, but am quite comfortable running or cycling for 2-3 hours out in the forest.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I love the idea of HIIT as opposed to steady state cardio and once I'm a bit lighter and some personal situations (meaning I can get to work out out of the home) change I actually want to start running as well :)

the two are complementary, while training at a higher intensity is going to lead to a higher calorie expenditure during the session, the fact that it's a very short session means that the total expenditure isn't particularly high.

Notwithstanding that the pysiological effects of steady state at a moderate intensity and high intensity intervals are somewhat different. the steady state improves endurance, the intervals have the potential to help increase oxygen uptake; VO2Max. Increasing VO2Max helps to raise the base metabolic rate over time.

The gains from high intensity intervals are significantly increased by improving aerobic endurance.

For general health it's not even cardio and resistance, its steady state moderate intensity cardio, high intensity interval cardio and resistance.

All that said, I can understand why so many whose training revolves around the gym dislike steady state cardio work, machines are incredibly boring. Personally I can't stand a treadmill for as much as ten minutes, but am quite comfortable running or cycling for 2-3 hours out in the forest.

Correct. I used to do six hours of elliptical a week. Not anymore. I might do a hour of HIIT a week now somwhere around that time. I see results not skinny-fat. Muscle definition coming in.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    I started lifting... the scale stayed the same but I lost 4 sizes...I'm happy but...

I still have a good 30 pounds to lose so my trainer is trying to figure it out for me. I have learned that I love lifting and now hate cardio but I have to do it if I want to lose the weight. Alot of it is diet though so even though he said I wasn't eating enough, he thinks, for me, I may have to cut my calories back again to lose the "weight".

Good luck to you!
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    I love lifting but I think that the afterburn of cardio is being overlooked by many, as it seems people have just sort of moved towards a "you don't need cardio" mentality. I think that while this is true for people who have a higher metabolism and who generally are able to shed the pounds, an element of cardio is necessary for people who find it difficult to lose the fat. I'm not saying be a cardio bunny, but I'd keep 25-30 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week on top of lifting, especially if you have a sedentary job. I wasn't doing cardio, I was just doing circuit training before. With the added cardio, I definitely notice some more definition poking through. I think a balance of cardio and weights is important for most females, as we tend to have a harder time shedding fat than men. I think its important to consider individual factors, as everybody obviously is different. I for one definitely hold on to bodyfat like its going out of style.. (well it is out of style, or MFP wouldn't exist.. :laugh: )
  • yopeeps025
    I love lifting but I think that the afterburn of cardio is being overlooked by many, as it seems people have just sort of moved towards a "you don't need cardio" mentality. I think that while this is true for people who have a higher metabolism and who generally are able to shed the pounds, an element of cardio is necessary for people who find it difficult to lose the fat. I'm not saying be a cardio bunny, but I'd keep 25-30 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week on top of lifting, especially if you have a sedentary job. I wasn't doing cardio, I was just doing circuit training before. With the added cardio, I definitely notice some more definition poking through. I think a balance of cardio and weights is important for most females, as we tend to have a harder time shedding fat than men. I think its important to consider individual factors, as everybody obviously is different. I for one definitely hold on to bodyfat like its going out of style.. (well it is out of style, or MFP wouldn't exist.. :laugh: )

The main reason men have higher metabolism is testosterone. The ability to build muscle way easier. I see where your coming from though. You seem to find the balance of both.
  • doozylass
    doozylass Posts: 2
    Bump
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209

The main reason men have higher metabolism is testosterone. The ability to build muscle way easier. I see where your coming from though. You seem to find the balance of both.

Yes I've tried just lifting, and for me it just doesn't work. I know they say it takes a lot for women to get bulky, but I'm one of those women whose arms get bulky in no time at all.. I love it on my butt but I'd like to keep my arms a bit smaller :P
  • yopeeps025

Yes I've tried just lifting, and for me it just doesn't work. I know they say it takes a lot for women to get bulky, but I'm one of those women whose arms get bulky in no time at all.. I love it on my butt but I'd like to keep my arms a bit smaller :P

The benefits of legs workouts for females.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Happy Friday everyone! So, I have a question that I've been getting mixed information on for quite a while now. I have been slowly losing weight for a while now. A little too slow (at most 5 pounds a month) and I would like to be closer to 2 pounds a week. I talked to a trainer at my gym yesterday and he said I should be lifting more rather than doing cardio. Right now, I do cardio 4-5 times a week and weight training about 3 times a week. He said I should even really be concerned with cardio as much, but rather lifting and building up muscle. I did some research on lifting and if I went that route, I should be eating a lot more than my 1500 calories I do today. Anyone have any advice with this? What is the best method for the fastest results with weight/fat loss without sacrificing muscle loss? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

1. 5 lbs per month is over a pound a week. That's not "slow" in any way, shape, or form.
    2. Cardio is great for burning calories. Lifting is great for making your body look better.
    3. Eat the appropriate amount of calories even if you think it's "too much," because you need to fuel your body if you're lifting heavy.
    4. Stop striving for what's "fastest" and do what's healthiest. Your body will thank you.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    I do a combo of both but my recommendation is to do what you enjoy because that is how you will keep it off long-term. If your not enjoying one or the other then you wont do it in the long run.
  • yopeeps025
    Sure is I lift five days a week and love it everyday. It is almost the high point of the day.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Personally, I'm a fan of heavy lifting and high volume, low intensity cardio (i.e. lots of walking/hiking) with a couple of HIIT sessions thrown in there for extra fat burning. The "chronic cardio" I avoid, for inflammation among other reasons, is that prolonged semi-high intensity like running, forever on the eliptical, etc. I also just find it super boring.
  • SHAMLEYCHAR
    SHAMLEYCHAR Posts: 19
    Lol
  • SHAMLEYCHAR
    SHAMLEYCHAR Posts: 19
    Dang it ..I wasn't loling at this post..i didn't mean to post that