Greek yogurt

13»

Replies

• captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    For the person in Canada - try going to Costco and buying the Kirkland Greek, I find it very similar to Fage and has very similar protein content. I buy it all the time in the US and did see it on Costco shelves just last week when I was in Trois Rivieres. ALthough if you are looking for 2% they don't make that only a 0%.

I add Monk Fruit packet to my plain yogurt to go with my fruit. My wife just adds fruit but she is anti-sweet anyway, I still find it way too much without something sweetening it. I sometimes have just honey yogurt by adding some clover honey to it, depends on if I am adding fruit or not. If I am adding fruit I don't add honey.

I have also added EAS protein powder to mine, the chocolate kind has sweetener in it so I don't add anything extra, although lately I have been doing 1/2 scoop of that and 1/2 serving of PB2 powder which may be my new favorite yogurt. Guess I miss my peanut butter cups :D
  • Stefgoju
    Stefgoju Posts: 43 Member
    I eat this nearly everyday: 250g of greek yoghurt, 25g of nut butter, 40g of (chocolate is my favorite) whey and then some sweetener of choice (I use stevia). Mix it with a spoon and be prepared to taste the protein dessert of the gods.
  • lauraashley09
    lauraashley09 Posts: 182 Member
    i add granola to my chobani!! i love the chobani plain, though. i didn't like fage when i tried it.
    i also like yoplaits greek yogurt
  • twiglet1959
    twiglet1959 Posts: 20 Member
    i buy Asda Extra Special Greek Yogurt ( full fat I'm guessing because I have only found two types available at Asda, the other labelled as low fat ). I actually like the subtle sour taste of this Greek Yogurt - but if I fancy to sweeten it up I can, or alternatively use savoury in much the same ways as mentioned by others on this thread.

I generally have my greek yogurt for breakfast or as a sweet snack by adding chilled flaked coconut oil to the top of it with a couple of teaspoons of honey drizzled on top - yummy. Sometimes I add blueberries or other soft fruits.

I have a stomach problem and sometimes suffer with serious heart burn, It was by accident that I realised when I first started to use this Greek Yogurt that it actually took off the heartburn! I thought this was amazing as prior to this I was taking lots of over the counter medications for this, which cannot have been good for me...... so one day I had this yogurt in my fridge and thought what can i eat??? everything i eat is triggering the damn heartburn.. I tried a couple of spoons of the Greek yogurt and low and behold the pain stopped. It was short of amazing as I really did suffer terribly with it.

I have had to adjust my diet significantly but the Greek Yogurt is definitely the one main thing that has helped. Now it is an every day requirement before I start to eat ( 1 teaspoon ) and then usually breakfast / snack .
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    I have several go to's, and Fage is my yogurt of choice for plain yogurt due to the high protein content and the fact that it can be sweet OR savory. For sweet, I buy the All Fruit (buy Polaner) or the ED Smith all fruit preserves. I use one container of the Fage (6oz), then 3 or 4 tbs. of the preserves, and I crumble on a half pack Belvita crackers in the cinnamon brown sugar flavor. That's around 300 cals for 20g or protein and tastes like pie a la mode! I have also done raspberries, pecans, and maple syrup. Honey and cinnamon crackers is another. Blueberries is a fave as well. Then there is the lazy man's lunch and I mix it with cereal. lol For savory, I use it as a dip. I buy the packets of ranch or use the Johnny's Garlic spread to make it. You might need to thin it a bit with milk or water, but it's pretty good!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    When I'm eating plain and adding my own fruit, I always add honey as well.

Or Nutella. :bigsmile: Adding Nutella to Greek yogurt is tha bomb. Especially with strawberries or raspberries on top. :drinker:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I have also added EAS protein powder to mine, the chocolate kind has sweetener in it so I don't add anything extra, although lately I have been doing 1/2 scoop of that and 1/2 serving of PB2 powder which may be my new favorite yogurt. Guess I miss my peanut butter cups :D

Oh now that sounds yummy and I have both EAS protein powder and PB2. Eh however, I have vanilla not chocolate, but maybe I can try with chocolate Pb2 or add chocolate chips!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I am in heaven with all of these! I am going to try one tomorrow they sound sooooo good!! Thanks guys
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    My usual greek yogurt is the 0% plain Great Value Walmart brand. Chobani plain 0% when it's on sale.
    Current breakfast: 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop Optimum Nutrition Delicious Strawberry whey protein powder, fresh strawberries, 1/2 serving 5 grain rolled cereal from Bob's Red Mill, mixed up at night, ready for breakfast on the run.
    Light dinner: 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, diced mini sweet peppers, 1 tsp minced garlic, pepper and no-salt to taste, on top of a baked/nuked sweet potato!
    Enjoy!
  • jynxgirl
    jynxgirl Posts: 5
    I do not like eating it alone. I put in my servings into a shake that I blend up with fruits and veggies. I just can not eat it on its own. I tried and tried but never did get used to it.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Yes, high quality plain Greek yogurt is VERY sour. I can pretty much only eat Fage with some artificial sweetener like sucralose or stevia. I used to add regular brown sugar but stopped that because it adds in empty calories and carbs.
  • potnoodlez
    potnoodlez Posts: 5 Member
    I agree it does taste like sour cream i use it in wraps all the time
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    I add 1/2 scoop fun flavored protein powder (grape, ice cream, peanut butter cookie) and 1/2 scoop whey protein crunchies (makes it crunchy like granola). That nearly triples the protein and roughly doubles the calories.

If I just want it sweetened, I add monk fruit extract, or a crystal light packet, etc.

Yep. I was adding stevia to my Fage 0%. That was fine. I decided to try adding my vanilla whey powder one day. When I first started to stir it in I thought it was going to be a powdery, clumpy pile of fail. But I kept mixing and it turned into a nice creamy texture with the vanilla flavor of the whey. Also add some berries or granola for texture. It's a winner.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    I've tried the most popular brands and like Chobani the best. But, it's too tart for me and often I find it rather acidic and it bothers my stomach. Better with something else than just on it's own. I always add a bit of honey to it.

One thing though ... it used to be 6oz. When I went to enter it into my log a few weeks back I couldn't figure out why the cal count was lower. Cause now it's 5.3oz. >:( Pisses.Me.Off.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Yep. I was adding stevia to my Fage 0%. That was fine. I decided to try adding my vanilla whey powder one day. When I first started to stir it in I thought it was going to be a powdery, clumpy pile of fail. But I kept mixing and it turned into a nice creamy texture with the vanilla flavor of the whey. Also add some berries or granola for texture. It's a winner.

If you are in need of more protein, these make a good substitute for granola... its just whey protein tiny balls with virtually no flavor (they make cocoa and "natural") so they absorb the taste of whatever they are in.

http://www4.netrition.com/body360_body_crunch.html