Gaining back the weight

Options
I've been using fitbit and hrm for calories burnt and eating back my exercise calories and weighing my food accurately. Recently I've exercised more and which means I am eating more but I am gaining weight!!! I've been exercising daily for 2hours and burn around 600 cal through exercise. Till now, I've gained 2kg after eating back my exercise calories! What is wrong.??? I set my weight in the hrm 2 kg lighter so there should be a deficit already.... Now I'm thinking of losing these 2kg...

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    What's your time frame?

If fitbit was working for you before, it should continue to work. The thing to check on fitbit is whether you're doing something that makes it register more movement than you actually have. For example, if I sit with my computer on my lap, it joggles the zip and can add a few hundred steps when I haven't moved. My sister's wrist one gave her 3 miles when she drove up a bumpy hill on her car. See if your numbers have changed recently even though your exercise hasn't.

Two hypotheses . . .

You've changed your diet in a way that either makes you hold water (high sodium) or you've changed the type of food you eat so that the same calories are processed somewhat differently (e.g. very high % of carbs - like 70% of so).

However, it's more likely that you need to go back to basics and weigh and measure. I know you say you measure accurately, but portion sizes creep up on the best of us.

Also check for those little extras - butter on the peas, mayo on the burger, nuts in a salad. They can add a few hundred calories to your day and don't even register as you're eating. This especially happens if you're eating out.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    What's your time frame?

If fitbit was working for you before, it should continue to work. The thing to check on fitbit is whether you're doing something that makes it register more movement than you actually have. For example, if I sit with my computer on my lap, it joggles the zip and can add a few hundred steps when I haven't moved. My sister's wrist one gave her 3 miles when she drove up a bumpy hill on her car. See if your numbers have changed recently even though your exercise hasn't.

Two hypotheses . . .

You've changed your diet in a way that either makes you hold water (high sodium) or you've changed the type of food you eat so that the same calories are processed somewhat differently (e.g. very high % of carbs - like 70% of so).

However, it's more likely that you need to go back to basics and weigh and measure. I know you say you measure accurately, but portion sizes creep up on the best of us.

Also check for those little extras - butter on the peas, mayo on the burger, nuts in a salad. They can add a few hundred calories to your day and don't even register as you're eating. This especially happens if you're eating out.

It has been a month. I started using fitbit and the hrm at the same time, before that I was just eating lightly active with a lot lesser exercises. I'm eating the relatively the same food and I don't really add condiments like mayo and ketchup... Not really eating a high sodium diet too... So I'm kinda confused now... I even weigh the peanut butter and bread I eat so I consider that I'm tracking my food pretty accurately..
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Are you working with weights? It could be muscle. Do you measure yourself? Measurements are a better indicator of real weight loss/gain. You can actually simultaneously gain weight and lose inches with exercise.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    But 2 kg is a lot of muscle in a month. I wouldn't think so.

Question: you have both an HRM and a fitbit? Are they coordinated with each other? In other words, does fitbit know what your HRM says? Otherwise you would be double counting - calories registered as burned on the HRM are also registered as steps/calories on the fitbit.

When I was using both fitbit and runtracker, I had that problem. I wound up having to read the instructions very carefully to make sure that exercise I logged in MFP or runtracker over-rode the measures from fitbit.

And you set yourself to sedentary, correct?

Often you can look at the instructions to make sure everything is coordinated in the right way. It's kind of tricky. If it's not done correctly, you will get too many exercise calories and eat too much.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing with questioning if you are set at sedentary and then working with your exercise calories from there to eliminate double counting and going over. I use Mapmyrun and it has been pretty accurate for me and has a huge database including dvd workouts. If you up your calories by more than 200 in a very short period of time it could cause you to gain weight, it is recommended not to increase at a drastic rate, but to work your way into an increase....such as when you go into maintenance and all.

This is an article that gives the basics.

http://www.maintainweightforever.com/goal-weight/how-to-start-weight-maintenance-today-in-one-step/
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned on these forums is that when you change up your workout routine, your muscles hold onto extra water but it is temporary. Should drop back down in a couple weeks.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There is a good possibility that if you just started working out and gained weight that it could be water. Muscle strain and inflammation will cause water retention. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24471859 . Your body composition is getting better so don't give up. This weight will level off and then the fat loss will begin and the next thing you know you will dropping the fat off.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned on these forums is that when you change up your workout routine, your muscles hold onto extra water but it is temporary. Should drop back down in a couple weeks.

This

It is not muscle gain as one poster said, as even if you did build muscle in a deficit you still would have lost weight, just more fat lbs, than the scale moved down.

In a deficit you will lose weight unless it is being masked by water weight retention, the other explanation would be you are not in a deficit, even if you think you are, could be due to having a lower BMR than calculators suggest, hormone imbalance etc.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Are you working with weights? It could be muscle. Do you measure yourself? Measurements are a better indicator of real weight loss/gain. You can actually simultaneously gain weight and lose inches with exercise.

I am not working with weights but I've definitely gained lots of thigh muscles.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    But 2 kg is a lot of muscle in a month. I wouldn't think so.

Question: you have both an HRM and a fitbit? Are they coordinated with each other? In other words, does fitbit know what your HRM says? Otherwise you would be double counting - calories registered as burned on the HRM are also registered as steps/calories on the fitbit.

When I was using both fitbit and runtracker, I had that problem. I wound up having to read the instructions very carefully to make sure that exercise I logged in MFP or runtracker over-rode the measures from fitbit.

And you set yourself to sedentary, correct?

Often you can look at the instructions to make sure everything is coordinated in the right way. It's kind of tricky. If it's not done correctly, you will get too many exercise calories and eat too much.

It should be 2 months and not 1 month. My bad. My fitbit and mfp are coordinated so no double counts. I have also set my activity level to sedentary...
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with water weight. I would use a tape measure as a second "opinion" if you will. That way you'll be able to tell if it's water gain or weight gain a bit better.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing with questioning if you are set at sedentary and then working with your exercise calories from there to eliminate double counting and going over. I use Mapmyrun and it has been pretty accurate for me and has a huge database including dvd workouts. If you up your calories by more than 200 in a very short period of time it could cause you to gain weight, it is recommended not to increase at a drastic rate, but to work your way into an increase....such as when you go into maintenance and all.

This is an article that gives the basics.

http://www.maintainweightforever.com/goal-weight/how-to-start-weight-maintenance-today-in-one-step/

I've upped more than 200cal in a short period of time so could the gain be that?
  • Wingg_
    Options

So should I workout less?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    So should I change my workout routine and drop the 2 kg or should do the same for a longer period of time and see how things go?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Any advice what I should do now?? I'm really scared to put on the weights that I've lost...
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your working out it will just take a few days for the water retention to adjust! I've started weight training and have pretty much gained what I've lost however my tape measurements continue to say I'm losing weight so I recommend you get one of them aswell :)
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your working out it will just take a few days for the water retention to adjust! I've started weight training and have pretty much gained what I've lost however my tape measurements continue to say I'm losing weight so I recommend you get one of them aswell :)

But the weight has been increasing... And it has been 2 months.... Can water be retained in the body for so long? And it's still increasing... Will it ever be gone??
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Relax... I agree with the other posters that you should take measurements and go from there. Don't stop working out... It's good for you. Change it up and add some weights. Also give yourself some leeway in maintenance. Weight fluctuates with cycles. I know my weight can fluctuate by as much as 10 lbs in a week.

You're aware of issues and paying attention to your body. That's what matters.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Relax... I agree with the other posters that you should take measurements and go from there. Don't stop working out... It's good for you. Change it up and add some weights. Also give yourself some leeway in maintenance. Weight fluctuates with cycles. I know my weight can fluctuate by as much as 10 lbs in a week.

You're aware of issues and paying attention to your body. That's what matters.

Can it be fat that i have gained? And not water retention?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    So should I consider losing those weight I've gained ??