Why is everyone so scared of weighing their food?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally saw my best results when I was paying attention more to WHAT I was eating than to how much of it. I don't like to chime in on those IIFYM vs. Clean Eating debates, but in terms of overall fitness and body composition, I was MUCH better off when I was merely eyeballing/guesstimating the quantities but following a mostly paleo (nothing but meats and fresh fruits & veggies mostly) eating style than when I was following an IIFYM plan where you monitor quantities closely but don't try to restrict what you're eating exactly.

I was eating in a meats and veggies and fresh fruits sort of style when I started this and losing about 3 lb a week, but when I actually started logging accurately I saw that without really intending to I was eating 800-900 calories a day.

So I guess I had the same experience, but it was because I was eating too little that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fast forward to realizing that despite a fair amount of exercise I was eating more than I burn. Started logging on MFP, decided I liked the numbers and calories in calories out concept and wanted to be accurate. Just like adding up numbers on a spreadsheet. I HAD to get the HRM and the scale. I would imagine some people would simply be turned off by this level of detail with numbers and not want to engage. Or maybe they're back where I was at the start and do not know WTF this food scale contraption is and can't be bothered to figure it out

Yes, exactly! It was mere months ago when I was in the WTF are you talking about, why would bother frame of mind, and now I think all the number crunching makes it more fun. (I interpret numbers as part of my day job, so it appeals.) A HRM is my next step down this road.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Because they're lazy
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Eh, I've never once weighed my food and only logged what I ate for a few months. I can see how it would be helpful for some people, but it's not necessary. For me, it was obvious where I was going wrong, so I didn't need to use a strategy like weighing food out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Because they're lazy

Ridiculous comment.

If people don't want to weigh their food and whatever they are doing is working for their weight loss, why are they lazy?

Yes I get that lots of people, especially on this site, lose weight with weighing and calorie counting.
    Me included.

But I don't think anyone who does things differently to me is lazy.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. There are people out there that can make good / reasonable estimates and still lose weight, good for them. On that same coin if that same person then complains that they are doing everything right and not losing weight or even gaining than "I told you so" would be in order.

I personally measure everything because I can be biased with food. I love steak so I'm sure I'd eyeball a 24 oz steak and call it 12 no problem.

Measuring your food and weighing it properly is the best way to keep yourself honest and accountable. I think it's also important not only for those who want to lose weight but also for those who want to bulk/gain weight too. Once I reach my goal weight I want to bulk, but I don't want to gain 20lbs in a month trying to bulk.