Is BMI really BS?

Options

Replies

• LiseSandMellem
    LiseSandMellem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think the BMI scale is too generous. I am 187 cm and weigh 69 kilos and im really not skinny now. I look healthy i hear people say. But according to the scale it would still be within normal weight down to 65 (my goal)...but also if i weigh 87 kilos (!).. 18 kilos more than now?! Id be a barn door!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    According to BMI I should be in the 130s but I've been as in the 130s before, lowest was 125, I was a teenager at the time, I looked pretty sickly like I was underweight, when I was at 150-140 I looked healthy, not underweight or overweight. So BMI can kiss my *kitten* lol.

Edit* The fact that MFP censored is kitten, made what I was saying, so much worse and better lmao.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    So, everyone around me has been telling me not to look at numbers but instead how I feel. I don't like that I am on the heavier side of "healthy" and I'm close to being "overweight":brokenheart: . I've lost ten pounds and I want to lose another ten because it will put me at a much healthier looking BMI. Is this a good idea?
    It's difficult because I don't dislike my body (that much) and I know some of my weight is muscle. Not a lot of it but I certainly have some tone in my legs. My mums telling me to keep loosing weight but my friends think it's unnecessary.
    Do you think I should improve my BMI or is it all BS?

There is quite a bit of controversy over BMI. Body weight compromises muscle, bone and water, and body fat. B.M.I. alone is not a exact measure of how fat a person may be. When Arnold Schwarzenegger was Mr. Universe, his B.M.I. indicated that he was obese but he was hardly fat. You may want to do some research on the BMI.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
    As normal Joanne your missing the point. BMI was not designed to be used on People like athletes or body builders. It is a guide for well average people

My BMI is 25, just in the overweight category at 6' 184lbs. I guess I'm not average because I know that my body-fat is under 15%.

Agree though, it's a good scale for anyone who has an average amount of muscle mass.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    May add that the reason I probably look better at 150-140 is because most of the weight I gain, is in my thighs and butt, I have always had huge thighs, so If I get down to 130s my upper body looks anorexic.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    1saturn wrote: »

So 2 months ago I was considered "overweight"...sorry I have to laugh...at 160lbs..in a size 5/6...not overweight...

Clothing sizes is about the worse marker available when determining appropriate weight.

Almost all clothes in the US are vanity sized, and women's clothing has absolutely no regulations or standards. A 5/6 today can be so vanity sized that it was a 10-12, or higher, in decades past. Even men's clothes no longer follow the actual inches printed on the waist sizes. Hell I have two pairs of jeans from the 90s in a size 36 that are smaller than some size 33s today.

The mirror and your health markers are the best standard, clothing size the absolute worse.
    BMI doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle so it's certainly massively flawed

Pick any muscly athlete and BMI will say they are overweight

eg. Running back Adrian Peterson

And yet how much of the general population has a body built like a professional running back?

Okay, but how am I supposed to know what to follow? My waist to hip ratio is excellent and my waist to height ratio implies I am too thin. So with all the "science" conflicting itself what now?

Saturn, from your profile picture you look great! Keep up the good work. I like the BMI as a barometer of how I am controlling my weight. I am 5'8 and weight 162. I am finally in the "normal bmi" range and I feel good about myself. My pants are loose and I feel better about myself. I used the BMI as a tool to help me get to a better place. I always here people complaining about the BMI system. For me personally, its a useful tool. Find out what your top weight can be according to the BMI chart and then strive to be one pound under the "over weight" level. Then you don't have to worry about it :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Saturn won't see this necro thread
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    All the debating about BMIs validity aside, I didn't see it mentioned but it may have been...

The OP is a little confused. She says she is in a healthy BMI. Just because you are closer to overweight doesn't make you "less" than "normal" than the person that falls smack dab in the middle of "normal". Normal is normal. It's a range for a reason.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think the BMI scale is too generous. I am 187 cm and weigh 69 kilos and im really not skinny now. I look healthy i hear people say. But according to the scale it would still be within normal weight down to 65 (my goal)...but also if i weigh 87 kilos (!).. 18 kilos more than now?! Id be a barn door!

So you around 6'1 or 6'2? Lots of people that tall would look great at 190 or so. Depends on build.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It really is about your health first and asthetics second. If your doctor says you're at a healthy weight when you're standing in front of him/her then you're good there. If you're happy with the way you look overall maybe just exercise to tone all over and stay where you are weight wise.
    It's really about what YOU want.
    My two cents: if that's you in the photo you look fantastic!!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No, it's not BS. BMI is a generalization that will work for generally most people. It's become very common these days to attack BMI due to the outliers who have a higher than typical muscle mass, and thus for whom BMI is of little use. However the vast majority of people aren't rocking the amount of additional lean mass needed to skew the BMI radically.

The heart of the matter, for many, is that they hate that BMI tells them they're still too fat. A lot of people have come to loathe the old height/weight chart ranges and BMI because they point to the fact that we've, on the whole, lost perspective of just how small most people need to be in order to not be overweight. Especially here in the US we've become very, very skewed about appropriate weight and BMI.

As far as your own personal goals, are your health markers good? When looking in the mirror do you have excess fat that you're unhappy with? When you say you "dislike" your body, what exactly do you dislike? That there is still too much fat mass or are you talking about other parts that are unchangeable (naturally speaking)?

She said she didn't (as in did not) dislike her body that much.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think the only people on the planet to whom you should listen regarding your weight loss goals are your doctor, and the person in your mirror, but that's just me.

I can't stress this enough
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    BMI is a tool, just like our kitchen scale for its purpose or our bathroom scale for its purpose. BMI, healthy weight ranges for our height/gender, appropriate daily calorie intake - based on multiple factors. These are all best information methodologies based on the science at hand. It may change as we move forward, but in the interim, we have to have some standardization to help in our journey if we wish to be healthy, to look and feel our best.
    These tools help.

If individuals disagree with how their BMI is interpreted for themselves, fine. This is all personal choice, after all. But most of us wouldn't be using MFP if we weren't interested in something - whether it is losing, gaining, or maintaining weight and fitness. And BMI, for most of us, is good information in our toolbag.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    What is BS is using BMI to penalize individuals via health insurance premiums.

BMI Does Not Measure Health (LA Times Feb 4, 2016)
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Give me one example where the BMI chart works when a mirror doesn't

When you've got a distorted body image, in either direction.

Lots of fat people actually don't seem themselves as fat. And some people have been obese so long that they pick goal weights that are still well within the overweight category, but assume that the weight is so much lower than their starting that it must be healthy.

The mirror is a great measurement if you have a clear view.

Just a 10% weight loss has been shown multiple times to be a meaningful amount when it comes to health. I'm talking major things like diabetes being reversed. As for the BMI for tall people and short people, a guy did a study. Using his proposed calculations, I'm no longer classified as obese, but it's a difference of 1 BMI point and.......a whopping 4 pounds.

I'm still losing, but I don't feel the need to be normal BMI. If I get there, great. If I stop when I feel comfortable maintaining, then that's fine wherever that is. My doctor actually set my goal weight in the overweight category. I'm sure she'd be happy for me to get to normal BMI, but she doesn't feel there's a need medically.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Timmmy40 wrote: »
    BMI is BS! According to the calculator I am 31.7 or Obese. I am 5' 9" and my weight is 215lbs. I haven't been Obese for over a year now. The calculator can give a general figure, but it does not take into account body composition. At 190 the calculator has me at being overweight and at 28.1. I have to be 169 lbs to be considered in the normal range. My lean body mass is 179 lbs. Not going to happen.

Serious question. Is this post a joke?

• frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP I think if you feel fit, think that you look good and your doctor says you're healthy then I wouldn't really worry too much about BMI unless you're into the obese category.
    There was an article in New Scientist about the obesity paradox which looks at the longevity of different ages of people at different BMIs - see graph below taken from https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229670-800-survival-of-the-fattest-why-were-wrong-about-obesity/
    7sryddfkap9p.jpg
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wow, what a lively topic!

I think BMI is a great guideline. We use it quite often in the hospital to decide how medications should be dose-adjusted. (i.e. some medications should have their doses adjusted beyond typical ranges if someone falls in the obese category, underweight, etc.) It's a great tool that is applicable to most people.

I think ultimately when it comes to weight loss, you need to figure out where YOU feel best. For me personally, my "normal" BMI range is from 111 lbs to 149 lbs. That's a wide range! That's not to say that I don't feel or look great at 155 lbs, but at that size I would be able to stand to lose a few lbs of fat. That's all- I think we get hung up on being defined as "overweight" or "obese" and we go on the defensive instead of saying "I look great, I feel great, I could stand to lose more but I'm okay with where I am".

This discussion reminds me of when I lived in East Asia when I was younger. When I came back to the U.S. I will never forget the shock I felt when I got off the airplane and looked over the balcony of the walkway I was on. Below me was a sea of fat people! I had grown so accustomed to seeing most people at a lower healthy weight that I was astonished. I went to school and saw friends I had always thought were quite thin and remember thinking "yeah, they could probably stand to lose 20 more lbs"... Now I know that's a jerk way of thinking, but my perception of "normal" was completely different.

Of course, I became morbidly obese myself, and my perceptions of normal adjusted to the American standard, but I really do think that in many countries, our idea of a "normal healthy" weight is ever creeping upward. What we consider "normal" at first glance today would likely have been considered overweight or fat in our grandparents' age. Our eyes often deceive us. I liked the comment about how many people are spurred to start their weight loss journey after seeing pictures of themselves. I know that I am currently obese, but often I look in the mirror and don't see an obese person. Then I catch myself in a store window or in a picture and I go "oh, yeah, wow. I guess I'm still pretty big..."

If you fall in the overweight category of the BMI chart and you feel great, then don't sweat it. Yes, you could probably stand to lose more, but that's not what's important. Don't get upset or offended or try and throw the idea of BMI out the window or try to categorize yourself as a special outlier... you're letting yourself be affected by a label. Like everything else, it's a great guideline but not an end-all be-all. I definitely use it, along with body fat %, body measurements, dress size, number on the scale, how I feel and how I think I look. Together they give me a great picture of how I'm doing. No, not a single one of those measurements is going to define me on their own.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    BMI is a rough guideline. If you are clocking in like I am right now at 33 (down from 38), you gots work to do. When I get to my goal 185 and ~15%BF well, I probably won't care much if the BMI still lists that as overweight for my height.

I've never measured up well on the BMI charts. My shoulder width is 22.5 inches. Well above the avg 17-19inches for a adult male.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Holy 2 year old necro thread, Batman!!!!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Holy 2 year old necro thread, Batman!!!!

Oh dang! I didn't notice. Sorry for perpetuating.