Gentlemen, its perfectly ok to comment on my weight loss!

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Max, those girls were flirting with you. I wasn't even there and I'm sure of it.

Sigh, must I be a wingman for the entire world?

Srs???

No they weren't.

Well if they were, they got bored to tears then, cause I talked about nutrition and training. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Damn, I am a F**king idiot

Sigh.. I could slap you. But you'd crush me immediately after.

Women were talking to you at the beach about how great your body looked. That's basically one step shy of handing you a "Would You Like To Have The Sex" card.

And you gave them a speech about stronglifts and hitting your macros...

YOU'RE WASTING YOUR BODY! Let me take it out for a spin, just for a day! I'd have more questionable strange than a person would know what to do with. And I'd be sure to give it back right when it starts to burn where you pee...

:laugh:

This conversation is priceless. If you guys need a judge on who is more attractive, just let me know.

At this point, I just need u to educate me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Cause apparently I am pretty stinking dense in this area.

I blame the women. If a man started talking strong lifts and macros, I'd probably tell him to hush and look pretty.

But first lesson for next time: "Thanks ladies. You two are so beautiful that this might be the best compliment I've ever gotten."

Happy ending isn't guaranteed, but the odds go way up.

Rgr that. :wink: :smile:
    Will remember that.

But she did say something along the lines of "Not trying to hit on you, but you look really good, and well proportioned, not big up top and small down bottom like most guys"

or something to that affect.....
    So that I just assumed is what she meant.....am I wrong for assuming that?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Knew a guy whose job included verifying identity via ID cards. Upon seeing the dramatic weight loss the stranger in front of him had undergone since the ID photo was taken, the guy said: "You've lost a lot of weight, congratulations." The stranger's response?
    'I was bitten by a tsetse fly and lost almost half my brain to infection. Thanks.'

Just food for thought.

To which I would respond, "whoa, sorry. well, you don't have half your brain, but at least you're not fat anymore."

Sometimes when I show my ID's (both work and state issued) people (especially by what I perceive to be immigrants, strong accents and perhaps not used to the subtle nuances of the appearances of a southern fat lady and how they can change over time) don't believe that it's me.

I've been accused of not being the person to whom the ID was issued multiple times. Yes, that is my nose, those are my eyes, they're just in a fat head in the picture and a slimmer head now. >.< grumble grumble grumble

I'm 31 ****ing years old. Ring it up.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Max, those girls were flirting with you. I wasn't even there and I'm sure of it.

Srs???

No they weren't.

Well if they were, they got bored to tears then, cause I talked about nutrition and training. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Women were talking to you at the beach about how great your body looked. That's basically one step shy of handing you a "Would You Like To Have The Sex" card.

YOU'RE WASTING YOUR BODY! Let me take it out for a spin, just for a day! I'd have more questionable strange than a person would know what to do with. And I'd be sure to give it back right when it starts to burn where you pee...

This conversation is priceless. If you guys need a judge on who is more attractive, just let me know.

I blame the women. If a man started talking strong lifts and macros, I'd probably tell him to hush and look pretty.

But first lesson for next time: "Thanks ladies. You two are so beautiful that this might be the best compliment I've ever gotten."

Will remember that.

But she did say something along the lines of "Not trying to hit on you, but you look really good, and well proportioned, not big up top and small down bottom like most guys"

LOL!

"I'm not hitting on you, but...."

Seriously, I used that line when I was single. I might have even used it on my husband.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    After reading the first few post. I got out of this, women are different. Some like a compliment about an achievement. Some don't, even if its positive. Check.
  • MityMax96
    LOL!

Seriously, I used that line when I was single. I might have even used it on my husband.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    So then she was??
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    One of my regular customers told me, "You look way better now, Brittany. You look a lot more lovelier than you used to."

I could have done without his comment. However, I do appreciate the sweet comments.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    LOL!

So then she was??

You're still asking this question? Do I have to actually say it?

Yes, Max. Yes. She was hitting on you but thought that she would say she wasn't in case you told her to go away or were arrogant.
  • MityMax96
    LOL!

So then she was??

You're still asking this question? Do I have to actually say it?

Yes, Max. Yes. She was hitting on you but thought that she would say she wasn't in case you told her to go away or were arrogant.

Damnit.....

So that is why women say that.....good to know.

So stupid....I am.:grumble: :grumble: :angry:
  • StarPlatinumORA
    StarPlatinumORA Posts: 21 Member
    USUALLY, if someone is working out and working hard, they don't have any problems with people commenting on weight loss. This is how all the women in my life feel and every woman I have ever met feel as well.

Okay? So you only wanted to hear from people who agreed with you, on a forum with tons of different people? That's a bit strange.

Myself, I can see both sides, I have never been great with accepting compliments (well it's not like I get many, lol!) so I can understand feeling awkward if someone comments on weight loss. But I try to see it as, they're trying to be nice, so just try to accept it and go onwards. But the whole thing of it making you think "Wow, did I look that ****ty before?" - yep, I get that too, heh. But that is more a personal failing of mine than the fault of someone trying to pay a compliment.

edit: I've only just started losing weight, and it's going to be a long journey, and one I HAVE to take for health reasons... and I'm not looking forward to constant reprimands from my mum saying I look skinny, half the size, you name it. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I was a more normal weight, and then lost a bit due to ill health, she'd always comment on it. So perhaps people should remember that "commenting" on weight loss does not equal "complimenting" weight loss!! :)
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    USUALLY, if someone is working out and working hard, they don't have any problems with people commenting on weight loss. This is how all the women in my life feel and every woman I have ever met feel as well.

Okay? So you only wanted to hear from people who agreed with you, on a forum with tons of different people? That's a bit strange.

Myself, I can see both sides, I have never been great with accepting compliments (well it's not like I get many, lol!) so I can understand feeling awkward if someone comments on weight loss. But I try to see it as, they're trying to be nice, so just try to accept it and go onwards. But the whole thing of it making you think "Wow, did I look that ****ty before?" - yep, I get that too, heh. But that is more a personal failing of mine than the fault of someone trying to pay a compliment.

In a perfect world, why yes! That would be great!! Thanks for the comment!!
    crossing my fingers nobody ever disagrees with me on future posts
    hey, I can only hope for the best:smile:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Wow. Ok...

One of my reasons for losing weight is for vain reasons. For the compliments. I've spent years and years hiding. Using my kids to take the attention off of me (aww look how big -my daughter- has gotten, so cute!!) ... so I would distract from the 'wow look how big Krista's gotten' ...

The "so much weight lost" argument.. yes, I have lost a lot, because I weighed a lot. I know this, they know this.. why dance around it? That's what you're here for, isn't it?

I do agree though, there's been an increase of people asking if I am losing intentionally. But it's not done in an insensitive way. "hey, you've lost weight. Are you trying?" "you betcha!" "well great, congratulations!" .. typical conversation.

Life is too short to be annoyed by compliments!

THIS ^
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member

Srs???

No they weren't.

Will remember that.

LOL!

^ This right here made this thread (Sorry to OP). And yes, I copied the entire thing on purpose.

To the OP: NO! I shouldn't have to tell you this being you are one, but Women are complex creatures. A perfect example: The woman I am married to doesn't even like compliments from me or anyone. It's best to simply keep your mouth shut and do as you're told! :ohwell:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Men, trust me, no woman will ever be offended for commenting on a weight loss:)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

ITS_A_TRAP-s460x346-291295-580.jpg
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I hate it when people comment on my weight or my body in general. I don't mind it on this site, because it's a fitness site, but in real life....STFU.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Making comments about other people's weight loss or gain is inappropriate. Period.

I think it is sad that some people need compliments to validate their self-worth.
    *Looks at ticker. . . studiously avoids comment on it*
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Making comments about other people's weight loss or gain is inappropriate. Period.

I think it is sad that some people need compliments to validate their self-worth.
    #rekt
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Ohhh the finicky and complicated female mind. Being that I have a vagina permanently attached, I can safely and confidently say that we ladies are all unique little butterflies, some more prone to bouts of crazypants than others.

And being that each little ray of estrogen-filled sunshine is different than the next, it's like a minefield when trying to talk to us (unless you know the female you're speaking with, in which case congratulations and still proceed with caution).

Hell, half of the time I don't even know whether or not I should compliment another woman and I AM one. It's all very confusing.

Personally, I'm proud of my efforts. I understand that even one short month ago, I looked different than I do now. I also understand that doing squats for the last 30 days is making my *kitten* look MUCH better in a pair of yoga pants. Compliment away.

But I digress and I also understand that not all women feel the same way as I do.

Perhaps I'm repeating a very common sentiment; however, I think it's just best to use your own judgement when speaking to someone. If you know them and you know that they won't be offended when you tell them that their calves are looking so good you could crack walnuts, by all means...do it to it.

But if you think you risk a concussion by complimenting someone, or you might offend them, best to use a more PC way of a compliment ("You look good" as opposed to "DAAAYUMMM Honey - look at dat *kitten*. Have you lost weight?").

Ok. That was rambling. And confusing. And I should probably lay off the pre-workout drink. I'm pretty wired right now.

My bad. Carry on.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    People feel the need to comment either way. I certainly prefer comments about my weight loss over comments about how much weight I had gained.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I don't mind comments when I actively mention I'm trying to lose weight.

But... a few times in my life, I have had to get treatments, and those treatments have made me pretty sick, so I lost my appetite. It's kinda awkward to have people say:

"Oh! You look so good! What have you been doing?!"

"Oh, chemo. NBD. It's all the rage at the hospital."