Gentlemen, its perfectly ok to comment on my weight loss!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Im a complete narcissist, I love it when someone comments on my weight loss. CHECK OUT MAH BODY, PEEPS!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I worked my *kitten* off,literally,to fit into my daisy dukes! I dont mind at all when people notice,or men look at my legs,because damn I have nice legs! lol..seriously,I dont mind at all.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me sad.. people now a days are too damn sensitive .. if youre losing weight youre losing weight and people are going to notice I love to get compliments about it cuz i have worked my *kitten* off to get there but the fact that everything has to be politically correct and everyone has to worry about offending somebody is just ridiculous. If you don't want people to notice your weight lose well then maybe you have other issues you need to work out... JUST SAYING

I find it sad that apparently a persons right to make unsolicited comments to a stranger/associate (leaving friends to the side here) about their body apparently now trumps a persons right to not have unsolicited comments made about their body.

*I actually like compliments. I just don't think its 'sad' or something to be 'worked out' that some people don't. I'd rather that I was sad at not getting unsolicited comments than someone else was uncomfortable because they got one.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You look great!

I'm kind of split on this subject. On one hand I have literally worked my butt off and working hard to maintain everyday so some days I don't mind at all.

On the other hand I'm a private person, I don't like being in the spotlight and I'm not narcissistic so if someone I haven't seen a while makes a huge deal I think to myself please let me alone.

Not only that, but most of the times it leads to the "what did you do" comment. I tell them (portion control, eating healthier, power walking several miles daily and lifting 2 - 3x per week) then I get the blank stare which leads to "have you tried the latest Dr Oz. diet" etc.

Anyhow keep it up OP!
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    After losing around 70 pounds, a coworker was following me down the hall. When I turned around, he mentioned how great I was doing and that he didn't even recognize me from behind anymore. My inner teenager giggled. I've since gained back about 25 and would love to get to admiration from behind again. haha.
  • poodlenoodlemuffin
    poodlenoodlemuffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that in Britain, instead of directly complementing a person on their weight loss, many people will say something akin to: "You look well". It doesn't hurt those who don't like comments, yet it is encouraging and complementary to those who do.

But they teach you guys "Tact:101" in primary school. We get Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo on the freaking Learning Channel.

Tell that to the woman in my open plan office who shouted "Oi, skinny! How much you lost now?", very, very loudly. Or the four people who called me over to say they'd been talking about how much weight I'd lost and were wondering if I'd tell them how I'd done it.

Tactlessness has no nationality!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me sad.. people now a days are too damn sensitive .. if youre losing weight youre losing weight and people are going to notice I love to get compliments about it cuz i have worked my *kitten* off to get there but the fact that everything has to be politically correct and everyone has to worry about offending somebody is just ridiculous. If you don't want people to notice your weight lose well then maybe you have other issues you need to work out... JUST SAYING

Did you ever stop to think maybe it has nothing to do with offending someone, and that some people don't like their bodies to be the focus of other people's unwanted attention?

THIS!!!!! I wish people would keep their comments about my body to themselves.

This times two. I don't need random acquaintances to stroke my ego. And I think it is nearly as rude to comment on weight loss as on weight gain--neither are any of my business, and if I don't know the person well, could be due to unfortunate circumstances (like illness) rather than diet/exercise. It is different if it is a close friend that I know is working at weight loss.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Why do people post progress pictures on public forums? Or even post them as a profile picture. Wouldn't it be easy just to keep those to yourself so others don't have to see how great you're doing? It makes the likelihood of getting one of those dreaded compliments even greater.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why do people post progress pictures on public forums? Or even post them as a profile picture. Wouldn't it be easy just to keep those to yourself so others don't have to see how great you're doing? It makes the likelihood of getting one of those dreaded compliments even greater.

Compliments on a fitness related website/forum are one thing... random compliments from acquaintances/coworkers are something totally different, to me.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Compliments on a fitness related website/forum are one thing... random compliments from acquaintances/coworkers are something totally different, to me.

Thank you for clearing that up. I suppose it would be different in person. I had not thought past the online comments.

Also, I still maintain what I said yesterday about your progress.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would prefer people not say anything. Yesterday at the bus stop, one of the dads said "Do you walk everyday? You've lost weight." It was uncomfortable for me, because yes, I do walk everyday. I walk because I have dog who needs to be walked to maintain her weight with a two-year-old in the house constantly giving her treats and tossing her food. But the weight loss came from weighing and logging my food, and getting up every morning at 4:30 to bust my *kitten* working out. So while it was complimentary, it was a bit awkward because it's taken a bit more than walking my fat *kitten* around the block to get where I am.

The only other time people have spoken up about my weight loss was in college. People were telling me I looked great, I had lost weight; my boyfriend's sister bought me an outfit in a size 4 to celebrate my weight loss. None of them saw me few weeks earlier collapsed on the floor in pain, or in ER, or sitting through numerous tests and appts at Johns Hopkins. None of them knew that the reason I was so thin was because the doctors suspected I had inherited the family legacy of Crohn's disease. I was dropping weight because I was put on a diet where I couldn't eat most foods, was taking 21 pills a day, and spent half my day in the bathroom. But yeah, sure, I was skinny.
  • Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Tell that to the woman in my open plan office who shouted "Oi, skinny! How much you lost now?", very, very loudly. Or the four people who called me over to say they'd been talking about how much weight I'd lost and were wondering if I'd tell them how I'd done it.

I must be so odd, I'm British and I would love it if one of my colleagues said this to me.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer my male co-workers didn't comment on my weight loss to be honest. I'm pretty shy so I may be in the minority. Doing it for myself so I honestly wish it wasn't noticeable to others. Makes me a bit self concious. Although it's nice to hear it from the hubs though. :smile:
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't mind comments when I actively mention I'm trying to lose weight.

But... a few times in my life, I have had to get treatments, and those treatments have made me pretty sick, so I lost my appetite. It's kinda awkward to have people say:

"Oh! You look so good! What have you been doing?!"

"Oh, chemo. NBD. It's all the rage at the hospital."

This is why I don't comment unless I know that someone is losing weight on purpose. If they chatted about their workout or said, "I'm on weight watchers" or something like that, then I'd feel comfortable mentioning that they are looking slimmer if I noticed that. But with no other info, I don't want to presume anything and I'd rather others not presume anything either.

I have asked for advice on strength training from a colleague and mentioned feeling tired from workouts to a few others. I have raved about my fitbit to anyone who asks and I have told them about how it syncs with MFP, etc. I welcome and look forward to any of these people commenting because they know what I am doing and they know it is an exciting topic for me.

It's kind of like being pregnant. If a pregnant person has been talking to me about their symptoms, asking for advice, etc., then I know it's fair game to ask them about how the pregnancy is going, what their nursery plans are, etc. but if they never bring it up, I just assume they are sick of everyone asking about it and keep my questions to myself.
  • poodlenoodlemuffin
    poodlenoodlemuffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I must be so odd, I'm British and I would love it if one of my colleagues said this to me.

I have to admit I did love that they noticed and took the time to ask. A number of my colleagues are actually really upbeat and supportive about the whole weight loss thing. I could have done with out suddenly being the focus of 3 directors and 30 odd other people in a very quiet room though - the "Skinny" comment was a real rabbit in the headlights moment :embarassed:

I meant it more as an illustration that as the UK isn't quite at the level of the US in terms restrictive HR rules yet, people employing "tact" is probably less likely!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I like it when people notice and comment on my weight loss. :drinker:

My supervisor noticed it but said it in an interesting way. "Your ID picture doesn't look like you." I realized that was his roundabout way of saying he noticed the weight loss. :laugh:
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I work with mostly men and have known a good number of them for close to 20 years. We're more like a family than co-workers. It's like having a whole bunch of annoying brothers. Many are fitness fiends, some are trainers, some are body builders and one is a former Mr. Olympus. Most have no problem mentioning they have noticed a weight loss,,,or a change in hair style or hair color. One of the guys asked me the other night how much I'd lost and I told him (It was 13 at the time...I lost 10 before joining MFP). He told me "good job!" and then told me that if I needed any help with anything, just let him know. He's a certified trainer. That night he was in the gym the same time I was and when I started slowing down, he jumped onto the elliptical machine next to me, got up to the pace I was going and coached me through another 5 minutes. Then he showed me some core strengthening calisthenics, explaining how to get started and how to build on that.

So it's ok for "my boys," but I might be uncomfortable with people I don't know as well.
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love that the girls that say they don't want people to comment on their weight loss are half naked in their profile pics.. so if you really don't want people to notice your body don't put it out there.. online or not it's the same thing.... JUST SAYING