In 5 weeks you'll lose 10lbs... why is it not working?

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    Bump for the resolutioners... Myself included!
  • cmlibby2016
    cmlibby2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for this information. I struggled a lot with 'what am I doing wrong'?? Why? Because I am not losing 2 pounds a week. Following the 1200 calories I'm allotted I tend to maintain or lose only a couple of oz. The same when I followed WW for over a year. Now I have a better understanding of why. I'm 5' 1", have an office job and less than 15lbs to lose. I'm probably NEVER going to lose 2lbs in a week. Now I won't feel like a failure. I will tweak my calories (ie: eat a little less than 1200 every day), walk a bit more (and NOT add exercise calories to my total) and hope to lose around .5lbs a week. Based on my understanding of reading this that is what I should expect. Adjusting my expectations has actually made me feel better about myself and the process. I'm in it for the long haul!!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Thank you for this information. I struggled a lot with 'what am I doing wrong'?? Why? Because I am not losing 2 pounds a week. Following the 1200 calories I'm allotted I tend to maintain or lose only a couple of oz. The same when I followed WW for over a year. Now I have a better understanding of why. I'm 5' 1", have an office job and less than 15lbs to lose. I'm probably NEVER going to lose 2lbs in a week. Now I won't feel like a failure. I will tweak my calories (ie: eat a little less than 1200 every day), walk a bit more (and NOT add exercise calories to my total) and hope to lose around .5lbs a week. Based on my understanding of reading this that is what I should expect. Adjusting my expectations has actually made me feel better about myself and the process. I'm in it for the long haul!!!

I love this! (I'm the OP, just under a new Username).

I am so glad to hear that this helped ease some of the frustration for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    MFP tells me I will lose a measly 1 lb in 5 weeks if that. I'm losing slightly more than that, about 2 lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have never, ever lost on "Mfps schedule" facepalm.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    tumblr_m9yc4tUOFJ1raflfmo1_500.gif
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Good info. I don't set any goal dates. Just know what I need to lose, eat healthy and exercise. My body has a mind of it's own. I just wait for it to surprise me and most of the time it does. And if it doesn't, I pat it on the back and say good job. Keeps down the anxiety and disappointment!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    bump
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Desperation leads a LOT of people to try to lose weight. Desperation leaves little room for patience. I was naive and desperate at one time, too. Not now. In fact, I kinda wish they would do away with that little pop up that tells you how much you will weigh in 5 weeks..... it's essentially useless.

The bottom line is how long did it take for you to gain the weight? Then realize it's going to realistically take awhile to get it off. And the less you have to lose, the longer its going to take. If you can't face that, you aren't ready.
  • MamawKattz_45714
    MamawKattz_45714 Posts: 1 Member
    Bump
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    bump!

• babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    just tagging to refresh my memory. ty
  • Katttie89
    Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
    This is brilliant info 🙂 thank you for sharing!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I don’t even bother to close my diary. In July 2015 when I started this journey, I was excited to see that declaration. Soon I realized it was not true.
    I’m a whoosh loser. I can go days, even a couple weeks with no loss on the scale. I’ve learned to keep at it and then for a 2 to 4 days, the pounds tumble off. Then plateau again. Yes, the scale has the ability to sometimes control my moods, but if I don’t weight everyday I fall off maintenance, badly. And for this reason the past 60 days I have been religious logging and measuring and walking my bum off. 🥴

That closing message is evil. 👿
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Soo, mfp set me at 1450 per day. That's my maintenance calories? If I exercise 4-5x per week to lose 1-1.5 lbs weekly, then I'd have to eat back calories to even out at 1450? I have 100 lbs to lose. Thanks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Soo, mfp set me at 1450 per day. That's my maintenance calories? If I exercise 4-5x per week to lose 1-1.5 lbs weekly, then I'd have to eat back calories to even out at 1450? I have 100 lbs to lose. Thanks

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking, but I think not.

If you told MFP you want to lose X per week, and you set your activity level correctly based on what you do in daily life before exercise (just stuff like job and home chores), then you're supposed to eat the goal calories MFP gives you (or very close) plus a reasonable estimate of your exercise calories.

MFP will only give you your estimated maintenance calories as a goal if you tell it you want to maintain, and then you're still supposed to eat back (realistic) exercise.

I'm like seriously old (64), sedentary big time outside of exercise (like 2000-3000 steps most days lately), 5'5", 130ish pounds, and MFP estimates I'd maintain at around 1500. I'd pretty much guarntee that 1450 is not your maintenance. (1500 isn't mine, either: MFP underestimates me.)

Set up your profile with accurate data, including the loss rate you want (don't make it the maximum extreme if you don't need to), and eat those calories daily (or very close) plus a reasonable estimate of your exercise calories. If you're worried that exercise calories might be overestimated, eat 50-75% to start, monitor for 4-6 weeks (full menstrual cycle minimum if pre-menopausal, to compare same relative point in two different cycles), then adjust as needed.

Best wishes!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,146 Member
    An old thread, but a good one.
    I was thinking of starting a discussion re: "What is a safe rate of weight loss?" and found this discussion in a search.
    I might still start that discussion, but if I do, I'll include a link to this one, for its valuable perspective.
  • KickassAmazon76
    An old thread, but a good one.
    I was thinking of starting a discussion re: "What is a safe rate of weight loss?" and found this discussion in a search.
    I might still start that discussion, but if I do, I'll include a link to this one, for its valuable perspective.

I'm glad you like it! (I'm the op)

It sucks because Photobucket moved to a not free service, so a lot of the links are broken now.

I thought about resurrecting it under my current profile and adding the missing images to the actual thread, I can still see them in my account. I just can't link to them anymore.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 89 Member
    This is my second time round on MFP, I am aiming for a loss of 1lb a week: today I have been logging for 5 weeks, and I have beaten that first message by 5.1lb o:)

I do realise that it’s going to get harder, but I quite like the estimate - it gives me another incentive to say ‘no’ to that second glass of wine, or salty snack...