Five guys....ffffffffff

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Speaking as someone that loves both In-n-Out and Five Guys, I don't think they're really competitors. Yeah they both make burgers but In-n-Out is more fast food oriented, with prices that are competitive with McDonald's, Wendy's, et al. Five Guys is a mid-tier burger competing with Smashburger, Shake Shack, maybe Red Robin. By the way I haven't seen Shake Shack mentioned yet and they win this category by a mile. I'm fortunate to live in a city where mid-tier burgers are all the rage, even upper tier restaurants are offering fantastic burgers.

I would not consider Five Guys like Red Robin! I prefer Red Robin to Five Guys. I don't know what Smashburger or Shake Shack is. The only reason I wouldn't consider Five Guys more fast food oriented because they don't have a drive thru but that's it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    So I'm in the Uk and we seem to now be getting a few of these Five Guys restaurants... one just opened near where I work, I thought I would try it out. Great burgers but omg, gonna have to run like a billion miles now. How do you Americans cope?

I'm fortunate to not like that type of food. I don't care if one works out a lot and burns off the cals etc. It's just not good food to eat for health...my health anyway.

What, specifically, is "not good food to eat for health" about it?

(Ignoring someone who made it the centerpiece of their diet...so what is "unhealthy" about the food in the context of a well-rounded diet?)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    So I'm in the Uk and we seem to now be getting a few of these Five Guys restaurants... one just opened near where I work, I thought I would try it out. Great burgers but omg, gonna have to run like a billion miles now. How do you Americans cope?
    [/quote

We don't cope. Estimates are that 40% of Americans are obese, and a full 75% are overweight. Enjoy.
  • jofjltncb6
    Five guys.... more like Fat guys.. They should rename themselves. Their burgers are tasty I've had several since they've existed but then I checked the macros on it recently and.... yikes.. Safe to say, if I need fat.. I know where to go.
    I only went once. I don't mind fat but holy cow-- the fries portion. They literally handed us a brown bag, normal size, HALF FULL OF FRIES. I think that was a side of fries. It was crazy.

What really sucks about Five Guys is that they make you eat all of the fries they give you before they let you leave the restaurant...

(...and they almost always give you extra fries like that. It's like their signature.)
    Yep, but I figured out a way to beat them at their own game.

I bring my kids, and instead of us each getting fries, I let the kids have some when no one is looking. The staff thinks it's me eating them, but really the three of us get our share from one small order.

We just get one order of fries and don't even hide the fact that we're going to share them. I honestly don't think they mind. I mean, it isn't like we ordered one drink with free refills and shared it. We ordered an order of fries, they gave us however many fries they wanted to, and then we decided how to eat them. (We've also been offered refills on fries before.)

TL;DR - you may not need to be sneaky in your joint fry-eating endeavor/endeavour.
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Yep...the majority of Americans are overweight!
  • eminette1
    eminette1 Posts: 1
    hahahahaha
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Oh, I LOVE five guys. But i haven't has then since I started MFP for a reason. Start running, OP!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    I've never tried Five Guys but after reading the nutritional info on their website I was seriously deterred!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    I have one right around the corner from work. Five Guys is so damn expensive that it's a once every three months or so treat. That's how I cope! And when I go I get one of their kids burgers (it's plenty big enough for an adult) and split the smallest fry they have. Still mega calories, but I make it work since it's a treat.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    I "cope" by ensuring that my overall calories (and macros within those) are consistent with my current goal of losing/gaining/maintaining my weight...

...just like everyone else does with their food.

And I really like Five Guys, but my favorite go-to burger of choice right now is Freddy's. It's like Steak 'n' Shake, but better. If I'm behind on my calories for the day, I'll have two double cheeseburgers (but no fries, because they seldom fit my macros/calories).

Oh but their fries and fry sauce are the best part (and I am not even a big fry fan normally)! We moved a couple month ago and now there's a five guys near by but the closest freddy's is 15 miles away, this makes me very very sad! :sad: Also, I think their "california" burger is VERY similar to an IN & OUT burger, so it's really the best of both worlds. Now what I can't fit in to my macros is their concretes, a MINI of my favorite is well over 600 calories!
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Can we say moderation?! If you want a burger (loaded) have one but only once a month or so! I LOVE fried chicken and could eat it everyday for every meal but don't instead I let myself enjoy fried chicken once a month or so.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    haven't had their burger yet, however, their hotdog and veggie sandwich are GREAT. Also... the FRIES.... YUMMMMIIIIIIEEEEEE.... and with Cider Vinegar!!! WOWZA!!!

and no... don't go often at all...
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    We ate there once, when they moved to our area a couple years ago. People were lined out the door. We got the food, and were a bit underwhelmed. The $6 or so burger was not up to the hype. We haven't been back. My waistline thanks me.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Luckily the closest one of these is an hour drive away. Tried it twice and each time luh'd it.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    I love Five Guys, but definitely a once in a while treat. I probably only eat it 2-3 times a year if that. It's my guilty pleasure, but I know my one burger comes to be well over 1,000 calories...1,00 delicious fatty, oh my goodness how on earth am I going to burn that off, calories! :)
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Five guys.... more like Fat guys.. They should rename themselves. Their burgers are tasty I've had several since they've existed but then I checked the macros on it recently and.... yikes.. Safe to say, if I need fat.. I know where to go.
    I only went once. I don't mind fat but holy cow-- the fries portion. They literally handed us a brown bag, normal size, HALF FULL OF FRIES. I think that was a side of fries. It was crazy.

What really sucks about Five Guys is that they make you eat all of the fries they give you before they let you leave the restaurant...

(...and they almost always give you extra fries like that. It's like their signature.)

I bring my kids, and instead of us each getting fries, I let the kids have some when no one is looking. The staff thinks it's me eating them, but really the three of us get our share from one small order.

We just get one order of fries and don't even hide the fact that we're going to share them. I honestly don't think they mind. I mean, it isn't like we ordered one drink with free refills and shared it. We ordered an order of fries, they gave us however many fries they wanted to, and then we decided how to eat them. (We've also been offered refills on fries before.)

TL;DR - you may not need to be sneaky in your joint fry-eating endeavor/endeavour.
    My sarcasm was continuing off of the previous poster's sarcasm.

We openly share and enjoy the fries.
  • jofjltncb6
    I "cope" by ensuring that my overall calories (and macros within those) are consistent with my current goal of losing/gaining/maintaining my weight...

...just like everyone else does with their food.

And I really like Five Guys, but my favorite go-to burger of choice right now is Freddy's. It's like Steak 'n' Shake, but better. If I'm behind on my calories for the day, I'll have two double cheeseburgers (but no fries, because they seldom fit my macros/calories).

Oh but their fries and fry sauce are the best part (and I am not even a big fry fan normally)! We moved a couple month ago and now there's a five guys near by but the closest freddy's is 15 miles away, this makes me very very sad! :sad: Also, I think their "california" burger is VERY similar to an IN & OUT burger, so it's really the best of both worlds. Now what I can't fit in to my macros is their concretes, a MINI of my favorite is well over 600 calories!

Yeah, and that's just for a small. Their regular turtle concrete is...well, it's a lot. 900ish calories. When I have one of those, it's simply a day that I go over my calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-06-14
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-05-25

:drinker:
  • jofjltncb6

My sarcasm was continuing off of the previous poster's sarcasm.

We openly share and enjoy the fries.

Dagnabbit! My sarcasmometer must need calibrating again...

...except that the sarcasm of the previous poster was mine...

...so insarcasmception.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member

Eat the Single With Bacon (Around 650 cals). Its more than enough as far as being full, and go easy on the fries. Just because they dump 2lbs in the bag doesnt mean you have to eat them all.

I usually get the Little Bacon Cheeseburger with Lettuce, Tomato, & Grilled Onions
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    I honestly don't think that 5 Guys is all that great. They are better than Mc'D or BK, but I would rather go to Red Robin for a burger.