My fellow joggers...

13»

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I never run more than 3 miles without eating first.

If I run in the morning, I get up and have about 100-150 calories worth of carbs about an hour before I run. It keeps me from getting an energy slump half-way through, and I can actually run negative splits sometimes ... (that is, getting faster as I go).

Also, when I run 8 miles or farther, I carry 7 ounces of Gatorade. That also helps to keem my energy up.

A final 3-step plan for those trying to increase their mileage:

1. Set a goal pace. For me, it's 9 minutes/mile for training runs.
    2. Run as far as you can while staying on pace. For me, say I cross 5 miles at 45 minutes after slowing down from an 8:40 pace for the first mile.
    3. For the rest of the distance you're trying to cover, walk one minute and then run to the nearest half-mile (or run 4-5 minutes, depending on your pace).

Whenever I do this, I can run the full distance the next time ... Good luck!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    I also run at about 5:30 am--gotta get it in before the kids go to school--and I don't eat beforehand, either. I do drink water, although I don't always remember to do that. I usually run about 4-5 miles on my treadmill on weekdays and I get in a longer run outside on Saturdays when it's warm enough. I've been doing this for a few years, now, and I don't know if it's "correct," but it works for me. I don't feel sluggish or slow during my run, but I'm ready for breakfast afterwards!

Isn't running great? :love:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I don't eat an hour before I'm going to run, I usually run in the morning so I just don't eat breakfast until after my run. I don't eat prior to running b/c I get shin splits at the drop of a hat, bad shoes, too much food, too windy, too cold-I'm ah high maintenence runner:laugh: Just went to a seminar last night w/Jeff Galloway, had some great tips so I was totally amped this morning while I ran.:happy:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    I also run at about 5:30 am--gotta get it in before the kids go to school--and I don't eat beforehand, either. I do drink water, although I don't always remember to do that. I usually run about 4-5 miles on my treadmill on weekdays and I get in a longer run outside on Saturdays when it's warm enough. I've been doing this for a few years, now, and I don't know if it's "correct," but it works for me. I don't feel sluggish or slow during my run, but I'm ready for breakfast afterwards!

{{sigh}} It shore is! :love:

So morning runners, do ya'll have additional carbs the night before a run??
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,646 Member
    I don't eat an hour before I'm going to run, I usually run in the morning so I just don't eat breakfast until after my run. I don't eat prior to running b/c I get shin splits at the drop of a hat, bad shoes, too much food, too windy, too cold-I'm ah high maintenence runner:laugh: Just went to a seminar last night w/Jeff Galloway, had some great tips so I was totally amped this morning while I ran.:happy:

O M G ! !

Jeff Galloway is my hero!!! Where did you see him?? Did he do book signings? Tell me all the cool stuff he said!

Did you touch him? Sigh.....:love:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member

{{sigh}} It shore is! :love:

So morning runners, do ya'll have additional carbs the night before a run??

It's so funny you ask that question because I use running in the morning an excuse to eat a whole bag of popcorn in the evening. Whether it physically helps, I don't know. But it sure help mentally! lol
  • pmkelly409
    Hey ladies, I think we have the makings of an official MFP Runners Club here!

Let's make it an official with the application to membership being a commitment to running- whatever that maybe for the individual. These posts for the last three days have done more for me and my running goals than anything else has since being a member!
  • Shannon023

Let's make it an official with the application to membership being a commitment to running- whatever that maybe for the individual. These posts for the last three days have done more for me and my running goals than anything else has since being a member!

Awesome - I'm in!! :drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member

I agree. It's so inspirational to read about other people accomplishments, goals and just the everyday joys and struggles of running.
    We should name to post exactly that "MFP Runners Club". I love that name!
    Anyone of us can start the post sharing our ups and downs.

What y'all think?
  • Shannon023

I agree. It's so inspirational to read about other people accomplishments, goals and just the everyday joys and struggles of running.

What y'all think?

I'm already excited!! :drinker:
  • pmkelly409

What y'all think?

I'm already excited!! :drinker:

Done! MFP Runner's Club! Welcome new members! Daily Posts on goals, progress, training tips, equipment, etc. whatever brings us joy about our running!

The first order of business is to change my pic. Be right back!
  • pmkelly409
    Well pic is not the greatest, I have a better one. will post it later - gotta go pick up the young'ins!

See ya'll later with the results from my run tonight!

that tiny spec of purple under the R in START is me, btw! Finishing my 5K from this past Saturday!
  • Shannon023
    Well pic is not the greatest, I have a better one. will post it later - gotta go pick up the young'ins!

See ya'll later with the results from my run tonight!

that tiny spec of purple under the R in START is me, btw! Finishing my 5K from this past Saturday!

Nice going!

I did a 5-mile run a couple weeks ago & there wasn't one stooopid pic taken of me. :grumble: I must have looked at 500 "unidentified women" pictures looking too. :laugh:

Next time I'm wearing Big Bird Yellow or something bright. :bigsmile:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member

Sometimes during a song break I'm surprised at how hard I'm breathing. The mp3 player blocks my gut-wrenching-air-gasping noises so I don't realize how much pain I'm in. :laugh:

The same thing happens to me! I wonder why people are staring at me and then I realize how hard I'm breathing. I agree, if I could hear that I would probably stop sooner! :laugh:

I really find if I can make it through that first 5 - 10 minutes it starts to get better.
  • pmkelly409

Sometimes during a song break I'm surprised at how hard I'm breathing. The mp3 player blocks my gut-wrenching-air-gasping noises so I don't realize how much pain I'm in. :laugh:

The same thing happens to me! I wonder why people are staring at me and then I realize how hard I'm breathing. I agree, if I could hear that I would probably stop sooner! :laugh:

I really find if I can make it through that first 5 - 10 minutes it starts to get better.

I was running behind a couple on Saturday who (unbenownst to them!) were keeping me on pace. I remember at about 2 miles he said to her, "your breathing should be settling down about now" - that's when I started wheezing!!! ACK!! I picked up the pace just to spite him!! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.