Did you swim today?

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    1500m Noon Hour lane Swim.
    Started out with a lane all to myself, then the hoards came and every lane had 4 people and the slooow leisure lane had 7, which would mean lots of float time and not much swim.
    Struggled through 30 minutes in the crowd then 2 Ladies jumped out to " do the hair and war paint before going back to the office " ( their words ) then we were 2. Switched from circle swim to straight lane and could finally start to move. A mixed set for the first 30 minutes to balance what other people were doing since passing was just not worth the effort when it's crowded. Always try to do 10 lengths of each drill/stroke just to make counting easy.
    250m Free
    250m pull Free/Back alternating
    250m Breast
    750m Free hard effort - snorting like an old steam engine. Flip turns in the deep end / touch and go in shallow as I have face planted on the bottom in the past (Lane 5)
    Lane 1-3 are deeper and I can do flips in them.
    Lane 4-6 start to shallow out as transition to Family wading area/ handicap wheel chair entrance ramp.
  • juliet3455
    1400m Back in the Pool at Noon today - me and 3 people - a full lane all to myself.

750m Free - Zipper and Finger drag drill combined to improve my recovery and 1 sec glide between strokes.
    Concentrating on left arm entry and catch as it has always been wrong.
    I separated the left shoulder 30 years ago and don't have the same range of motion/strength as my right arm.
    I used to just about drag the elbow across the water in a big sweeping arc during recovery, As a result I commonly crossed over center line of my body and slapped the water with my palm before entry and catch. The tattle tell was the large trail of air bubbles pulled down on my left side while my right would be a clear. Also did all my breathing on the left shoulder since my roll has never quite been right - blame it all on the shoulder mobility.

250m Pull Free/Back alternating - Give the shoulder a differant motion and still work on stroke.

50m kick x 4 with 25m Breast stroke between 50's

100m Breast cool down.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    2600m with masters tonight.

300 warmup as 100 free 100 back 100 br

1x 400 free
    2x 300 free
    3x 200 free
    4x 100 free
    All with 20s rest and holding <1.27 pace

300 warmdown
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    750m Free - Zipper and Finger drag drill

say what? :) sounds fun!

1km yesterday and 3km today for me. Trying to get swims in before pool closes over christmas - help burn those christmas calories before I eat them!
  • juliet3455
    @beerfoamy Zipper Drill - As you do the recovery between strokes Stick your thumb out so it's not tight to your fingers, drag the thumb up your rib cage - thus keeping your hand/arm tight to your body and giving a high elbow.

Finger drag - exactly like it sounds - once you can no longer maintain the zipper and your hand clears the water let the tips of your fingers drag forward just barely touching the water - this helps keep the high elbow and prevents a roundhouse arm swing. Helps with my entry and catch alignment of my arm.

Usually you isolate one drill at a time and slow your stroke rate down so you can think about arm position. I used to alternate lengths now I just combine them since they work together. Yes our pool closes on Sunday night ( 23rd ) at 6pm and does not open until Thursday the 27th. This is based on historical data where only 5-10 people were in the pool during the 8-12hrs they were open in previous years.
  • beerfoamy
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @beerfoamy Zipper Drill - As you do the recovery between strokes Stick your thumb out so it's not tight to your fingers, drag the thumb up your rib cage - thus keeping your hand/arm tight to your body and giving a high elbow.

Finger drag - exactly like it sounds - once you can no longer maintain the zipper and your hand clears the water let the tips of your fingers drag forward just barely touching the water - this helps keep the high elbow and prevents a roundhouse arm swing. Helps with my entry and catch alignment of my arm.

Usually you isolate one drill at a time and slow your stroke rate down so you can think about arm position. I used to alternate lengths now I just combine them since they work together. Yes our pool closes on Sunday night ( 23rd ) at 6pm and does not open until Thursday the 27th. This is based on historical data where only 5-10 people were in the pool during the 8-12hrs they were open in previous years.

ahhh thanks :)
  • emmab0902
    3000 uninteresting metre solo swim.

500 free
    500 free kick
    500 free pull
    500 free kick
    500 free pull
    300 mixed kick
    200 warmdown
  • beerfoamy
    3km this morning
    bit of a shoulder niggle so only little swim tomorrow before another 10km attempt on Sunday
  • emmab0902
    Just a 1km ocean swim this morning. Was a bit choppy on the way back and because I couldn't breathe to the left due to a jammed up neck, I copped a mouthful of big waves every breath lol. Will have to do a decent swim tomorrow to make up for today's short one!

h8b982c6efz7.jpg
    ocelfo7qtqpf.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    I just joined this group today, invited by @juliet3455 Wow, you're all amazing! Impressed and excited to be here to learn from such excellent swimmers!

I'm a distance runner, and I've been swimming quite a bit lately, to nurse a sore ankle/Achilles(?). I've run 2 marathons and a 50 km run. I did 4 half marathons in 5 weeks between November to December 2.

I love running long distances, but in the past 2 years my longest swim has been 1,500 metres!

I won the freestyle competition at school and got into the inter-school championship. But that was nearly 40 years ago! :smiley:

Since school I've really only swum a few times each summer at the outdoor Olympic pool. But the past 2 years I've done it more often and during the colder months in our town's heated 25 m indoor pool.

Last week I had to visit the doctor due to pain in the shoulder/neck, which I thought was stress but turned out to be due to swimming again after a break and only breathing on my right side.

I've only yesterday for the first time in my life successfully swum 1,000 metres freestyle breathing alternate sides every three strokes. The elusive symmetry! :smiley:

• emmab0902
    Welcome @Orphia awesome to have you here. Look forward to reading your swimming adventures! :blush:
  • juliet3455
    1:30am - just got home from a very long work day and still a little buzzed so can't fall a sleep.
    @Orphia Well done on the breathing - I can so relate - it took me 2 years to get balanced breathing, I still drop into single sided once in a while if in a tough session.
    @emmab0902 is a close neighbor to @ContraryMaryMary and @Avidkeo - well relatively close when compared to how far apart most of our MFP friends are.

For me @emmab0902 is an great role model and inspiration, with her good character and modesty about her strength/skills in the pool. A water version of you, alphahowls, @JessicaMcb etc.
  • beerfoamy
    2.5km
    1 mile in 29mins
    2km in 36mins
    Very very happy with those times hehe
  • emmab0902
    3000m solo swim this afternoon.

Pretty boring lol.

500 free
    1000 kick
    500 pull
    500 kick
    500 warmdown
  • Orphia
    I managed 1,600 metres today!

First 1,050 metres were alternating 100m breaststroke, 100m freestyle.

Breaststroke was giving me a sore left knee, so the last 550m were all freestyle, still managing alternate breathing every 3.

750m PB!
    1,500m PB!
    Longest Swim!
    (According to my Fenix 5)
  • emmab0902
    3000m solo swim this evening. Feeling a bit under the weather like the beginning of virus. Might be Christmas day in bed!

No swim tomorrow as the pools are all closed, so hope everyone has a fantastic and safe Xmas!

pkgzv6dl092w.jpg
  • beerfoamy
    did my 10km yesterday

3hrs 42 in the pool. 20mins of breaks. Happy that I kept my swim speed up- now to maybe work on reducing the breaks!

pool shut til 27th :( (my shoulders are cheering)
  • Orphia
    @emmab0902 Love the festive swimsuit and hat! :smiley::heart:

@beerfoamy 10 km!!! So impressive!
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    pool shut til 27th :( (my shoulders are cheering)

LOL!! :smiley:
  • emmab0902
    Orphia wrote: »
    @emmab0902 Love the festive swimsuit and hat! :smiley::heart:

Just for the record that isn't me lol
  • emmab0902
    2000m ocean swim with a friend this morning. Usually I swim with a large group and felt quite nervous only two of us - less menu options for any sharks!!

xo5szzby0z0z.jpg