Did you swim today?

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Our community pool opened for water aerobics, not swimming.
    Gym pool is still closed. I’m doing water aerobics.

That is weird! What's the reasoning behind that?
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Still swimming. Now at between 10-14 km weekly in 3 to 5 swims!
    So building up the stamina while still keto/ low carb!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Today: 1 mile @ 48 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    First swim since March 12, 2019! We are staying at a resort that has an open pool, so I reserved a lane this morning. It's a short pool, and you can only reserve 30 min at a time on weekends, but I had no idea how much stamina I would have. I was out of synch at the beginning, but found my rhythm. I've been doing other things, so I took it slow and easy. The water felt so good. I'll go back for more tomorrow, then back home where pools have opened, but getting a lane is a challenge. I suppose I should go while I can. They'll probably be shutting down again soon...
  • Bruceapple
    Today. 1 mile @ 48 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 45 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Yesterday 0.68 mile @ 32 minutes:
  • Bruceapple
    Today. 1 mile @ 48 minutes:
  • Bruceapple
    My pool closed again, Covid precautions. :(
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    10 miles today. Actually more like 18,000 yards.
  • Bruceapple
    WOW 10 MILES CONGRATS
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    ElBence wrote: »
    10 miles today. Actually more like 18,000 yards.
    Impressive - how many hours did that take?

Our pool opened just as I was about to go on vacation. Yea for chlorine fix's.
    So in late July I managed to get in 3 times in the 1st week it was open before vacation started.
    You know that feeling when you have a chest cold and you start coughing hard until your Ribs/Abdominal muscles start to hurt - that's how I felt after a 16 month absence, one morning it even hurt rolling out of bed.

First swims were very short as I could only do 50m before needing a break.
    Now up to 250m before a break, which works good - count 10 lengths, stop for a drink, switch stroke and repeat.
    Ironically breast stroke used to be my strongest and back was my weakest - those are reversed right now.

Have managed about 7 more chlorine fix's since returning from vacation, able to get a full 1000m in during the 60 min lane swim. Used to get 1500/2000 if the pool wasn't crowded.
    Up to a total of about 7km since the pool opened, a work in progress and my ribs don't scream at me anymore.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    10th swim in 20 days.
  • juliet3455
    Back in the pool last night. 1km with 3 swimmers in the lane. Every lane was loaded up with swimmers.
    250m x 4
    Since I was the slowest swimmer in the lane out of respect to the other 2 swimmers I did a bit more lane keeping than them to ensure that I wasn't holding them up. Usually the faster swimmer would catch me every 6 lengths and the other swimmer at 7 lengths.
  • juliet3455
    Usually our pool does their Major Maintenance in September - when usage is down by 40% - Summer swim lessons are over, Schools have not started to book Swim periods and general usage is down due to the transition of the public to some other summers end activities - football, soccer, baseball etc. This year the specialized contractors that look after the Chlorine systems have a few more new pools to do so our pool had to adjust the start date of the shutdown to match so our pool is now closed until the end of September. 5 weeks instead of the normal 3-4 weeks.

Unfortunately the Tilers who redo the Pool Tiles and Machinist's who look after the pump systems were pre-booked based on previous years and are committed to other pools in the region so there will be some dead time in the pool maintenance schedule when none of the specialized contractors will be on site. :(
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    I got an Inspire 2 Fitbit, mostly to track steps. It does that well enough but with swimming it doesn't accurately tally yards or laps. Once it said I swam 165 yards in 45 minutes LOL! I just swim freestyle for about 45 & leave.
  • kayak4water
    No swim today, nor 'til next week, due to maintenance work.
  • kayak4water
    45 minutes. Relaxing to just cruise and think about: How far ahead of my crown should my fingers enter the water? At what angle should they enter? Swimming with a snorkel for 20 of those minutes, breathing every stroke vs every other.
    5-7 minutes "swimming" fly, (while not triggering pain from my hip, destined for replacement)
  • kayak4water
    45 minutes. Time for a nap
  • Bruceapple
    Five miles this week. One mile a day.