thoughts on the 500cal diet

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. I read this article, and I think it might disagree with what you are both saying, but I'll take your input into consideration. http://fitlife.tv/nutrients-vs-calories-do-you-know-the-difference/

I think you're confusing the words nutrient and nutrition.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not over exorcising to burn calories, I do a 60 min aerobics workout and maybe some laps in the pool. That's hardly over exorcising.

And rest days?

And how many laps?

Because if that's really all you're doing, I have trouble believing you're only netting 500.

She's eating under 1000 and exercising 400 off.
  • ah1141
    ah1141 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm not over exorcising to burn calories, I do a 60 min aerobics workout and maybe some laps in the pool. That's hardly over exorcising.

And rest days?

And how many laps?

Because if that's really all you're doing, I have trouble believing you're only netting 500.

Yes, that is literally all I'm doing. A 60 minute workout and a few laps. The thing is, the foods I eat are very low on calories but highly nutritious.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    BAD IDEA. You will re-gain everything you lose in that week in the moment you start eating normal again.
  • ah1141
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. I read this article, and I think it might disagree with what you are both saying, but I'll take your input into consideration. http://fitlife.tv/nutrients-vs-calories-do-you-know-the-difference/

No, I'm not.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Also, I think you're missing the point of the article you posted. It is not saying that calories don't matter for weight loss. In fact, it says this:
    If you have tried the outdated “calories in, calories out” approach and seen no results, you likely have a metabolic issue that needs to be investigated and addressed.

But it is also promoting what is basically considered "clean eating" or "whole foods." The gist of the article is that calories are not the only thing that matters...not that the calories don't matter.

Also, if you'll look toward the bottom, the article has a purpose: to sell you an e-book about juicing. You should automatically be suspicious of any information presented with the purpose of selling you something.
  • ah1141
    Options

No, I'm not.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

And rest days?

And how many laps?

Yes, that is literally all I'm doing. A 60 minute workout and a few laps. The thing is, the foods I eat are very low on calories but highly nutritious.

No matter how nutritious your foods are your body still needs a minimum amount of calories to function based on what you burn per day including (apologies if terminologies are slightly wrong)

Basal Metabolic Rate
    Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis
    Food Thormogenisis
    Exercise Activity Thermogenisis

What you are doing doesn't even cover your Basal Metabolic Rate so what about the energy (energy = calories) required for the rest of it?
  • ah1141
    Options
    I take stimulants for ADHD and depression. I have TOO MUCH energy as it is.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

I am not entirely sure that stimulants are the same as the energy required for body function
  • ah1141
    Options
    At any rate, I'm adding more food to my diet to increase the net calorie count so I can build muscle.
  • ah1141
    Options
    Goodnight guys! Sorry to derail this post.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    At any rate, I'm adding more food to my diet to increase the net calorie count so I can build muscle.

You are not going to be able to add muscle unless you are eating more calories than your body needs for normal daily activity

In order to see how many that is set MFP to maintenance and eat back all your exercise calories

You are not going to lose weight and build muscle unfortunately
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    There's evidence (here! On this very thread!) that 500 calories a day makes the brain turn to mush.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    From your wiki link:
    Macronutrients
    The macronutrients are carbohydrates, fats, protein, and water.[46] The macronutrients (excluding fiber and water) provide structural material (amino acids from which proteins are built, and lipids from which cell membranes and some signaling molecules are built) and energy. Some of the structural material can be used to generate energy internally, and in either case it is measured in Joules or kilocalories (often called "Calories" and written with a capital C to distinguish them from little 'c' calories). Carbohydrates and proteins provide 17 kJ approximately (4 kcal) of energy per gram, while fats provide 37 kJ (9 kcal) per gram.,[50] though the net energy from either depends on such factors as absorption and digestive effort, which vary substantially from instance to instance. Vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water do not provide energy, but are required for other reasons.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    VLCD should only be carried out in doctor supervised situations where the patient's weight is an immediate danger to their health more so than the risk and stress of the VLCD!

Food is fuel..

fuel is good!

EDIT- side note... Wikipedia, while useful to satisfy curiosity is not citation worthy according to any of the professors I had...
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    What you are doing doesn't even cover your Basal Metabolic Rate so what about the energy (energy = calories) required for the rest of it?

the bold is the definition of energy being used here, not how hyper you are
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options

OMG OMG Op. I beg of you please look up the difference between 'exorcising' and 'exercising'
    I can't take it anymore :'(

And, I kind of get what you're asking, like, you're looking at it from nutrition point of view rather than calorie intake.

I can't be much help, but I understand that you need to be netting a certain amount of calories to make sure you're getting your nutrient needs for the day, and that's probably well more than a 1,000 calories worth tbh.

And yes yes you're eating healthy things, but not enough of them.. And like someone else said, there's a difference between medication/ADHD energy and the energy needed for your normal body cell processes inside of you that you can't directly measure/feel.

What's your BMR?

And curious, fair enough you've got energy from wherever, but what stops you from eating more of the healthy stuff to raise your intake? Other than you're not convinced you need it?

It's the general consensus that your net calories should be over your BMR, yet you seem quite resistant to this? Why?
  • revathyr
    revathyr Posts: 2
    Options
    can sumone enlighten me about this?
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Less than 1200 calories a day will put you into starvation mode, thereby shutting down your metabolic rate. The worst part is then your body takes those 500 calories and stores them as fat. Fat cells have this habit of growing when you eventually increase your calories.

Therefore these insanity diets just make you fatter. They are designed to lose weight quickly, the problem is you gain it back twice as fast as you lost it, plus some. So don't do it, stick with your recommended MFP calorie intake for long term, permanent weight loss success.

1200 cal per day are just fine to loose weight quickly cause i guess you workout as well and it's a diet that helps you to keep on track, you should make it!!!
This discussion has been closed.