"You can't build muscle on a deficit"

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    ... there are many people on the forum advising others that 1200 might not be fine doesn't mean that it is bad and wrong for you. So don't be so sensitive about it. People are truly trying to be helpful and guide people into finding what is healthy.
    I don't care what people say to me about my intake. I know better and I wouldn't bring it up here to begin with.

I wouldn't be sensitive to people 'advising others that 1200 might not be fine' if that's what they did. But they tell them flat-out that 1200 is dangerous and is not right for virtually anyone. Which is totally untrue. I know people are trying to help but giving out misinformation isn't helpful.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Does it have a Omega-3 and Omega-6 listing (since it has herring, it's probably fine -- i just wondered if the program you have has that on another tab.)

It's fitday.com which is both a free web tool and a paid download program. Shuws PUFA and MUFA but doesn't split n-3 and n-6 etc I did it in November but managed to locate it :-

1200fat.png

I found this one (https://cronometer.com). I find my default foods are lacking in D, K, and iron (always have been). So I'm trying to add more salmon, spinach, lentils and dark chocolate, for instance. But herring I hadn't tried yet (for D). Don't even know where I'd buy it here. But I'm gonna keep an eye out!
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    I wouldn't be sensitive to people 'advising others that 1200 might not be fine' if that's what they did. But they tell them flat-out that 1200 is dangerous and is not right for virtually anyone. Which is totally untrue. I know people are trying to help but giving out misinformation isn't helpful.
    I try to take discussing a differing position via PMs and they get pissed because they aren't getting their public attention.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I've never seen any other diet or source or site that says that people with X lbs. or less to lose can't aim for 2 lbs/week. That always seems to be a universal max goal, just as it is here.

In Fitbit's food plan, you can aim for 2 lbs/week and there is no floor value. They assume if you want more to eat, you'll move more. You can get a calorie rec. for the day in the 700s. It expects the user to know or learn what is a realistic minimum for themselves and adjust their expectations accordingly. Or move more to eat more.

Right. We know everything about weight loss. That's why many of us have been fat for years or decades and are somehow just now working together to figure it out.
    If you don't know what intake level is right for yourself or are just learning it, why do you feel like you know what's right for others, better than they do?

There are general rules of thumb, and calculators used by medical professionals that give good estimates. Does *everyone* fall into these general average ranges? No. There will be some people outside those ranges. But MOST people DO fit into those ranges. SOME people can do fine at a lower level, while SOME people can do fine at a higher level. The reason why here on this forum there are so many people advising that 1200 is likely too low is that we know how MFP setup gives 1200 by default based on the input of the user. This input is generally chosen because everyone wants to lose 2 pounds per week regardless of whether this is realistic for them, giving too steep a deficit. Also because people do not understand that MFP numbers do not include exercise, so they really need to eat more unless they are really sedentary. 1200 NET is a confusing point for some people.

1200 might be perfectly fine for you. But just because there are many people on the forum advising others that 1200 might not be fine doesn't mean that it is bad and wrong for you. So don't be so sensitive about it. People are truly trying to be helpful and guide people into finding what is healthy.

1200 is not the default number given by MFP. It is however the lowest number given.

When I began my journey at 156 lbs (which for my height put me in the top of the overweight range, closing in on obese) MFP gave me a net goal of 1360. I think I set it for losing 1 lb per week. As I lost weight, my net goal dropped. It stopped at 1200 when I got below 120 lbs. or so.

I think that most people are clueless about appropriate intake for maintaining body weights under 120. I think they also don't realize just how low short girls have to go to be slim.

Personally I no longer want to go much if any under 120, but there are some online calculators that say my ideal body weight should be between 105-110. If you have not dealt with small numbers like these, please don't comment on what might be appropriate intake for someone that size.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member

There are lots of egotistical *kitten* hats that like to spout off in the forums. I try to take discussing a differing position via PMs and they get pissed because they aren't getting their public attention.
    Not sure if you are referring to me but I responded to your PM, I'm waiting for your reply. If you are referring to me I will gladly continue the conversation in the PM as I have already started. Respond here or there if you want. As far as egotistical, I get nothing out of what a bunch of people would think of me online.

I wasn't referring to you. You responded with a question. I haven't had time to respond via PM. The article clearly supports my post in that it is "possible" to build muscle and loose fat with a deficit and that it is "only through extremely meticulous attention to diet and training. On top of being very tedious, body recomposition is very slow". The reason behind me asking to define deficit is that it can be done at a deficit and not just maintenance; however, that greatly depends on the amount of deficit! I agree that it can't be accomplished with a large deficit!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

There are lots of egotistical *kitten* hats that like to spout off in the forums. I try to take discussing a differing position via PMs and they get pissed because they aren't getting their public attention.

Lulz....

Public Attention, you know it's a message board, right? I wouldn't exactly call that public.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    If you have not dealt with small numbers like these, please don't comment on what might be appropriate intake for someone that size.

Really? So nobody with experience who is not the same size can comment? The OP is not even really in that category and was asking about building muscle, not about her food intake.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

1200 is not the default number given by MFP. It is however the lowest number given.

It is the default if your estimated caloric needs are anything below 2200 calories and you choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" which applies to a lot of women.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    TLDR
    <--- Example of recomp. I started on a 1lb weekly deficit and recently shifted to 0.5lb weekly deficit. It can be done, but takes a lot of work and heavy lifting.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member

It is the default if your estimated caloric needs are anything below 2200 calories and you choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" which applies to a lot of women.

for those who like number crunching... this blog helps explain why 1200 is so often "prescribed" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/in-5-weeks-you-ll-lose-10lbs-why-s-it-not-working-668182
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Consider though, that debating in private prevents other people from potentially gaining new information about the topic. Just because you are having a discussion with 1 person does not mean there aren't 500 other people reading along.

Do as you please obviously, but I know in my own case I've learned a great deal on the internet because some people take the time to hash it out with someone.
  • SideSteel
    TLDR
    <--- Example of recomp. I started on a 1lb weekly deficit and recently shifted to 0.5lb weekly deficit. It can be done, but takes a lot of work and heavy lifting.

This would be a cut, not a recomp, would it not?
  • urban_ninja
    TLDR

I didn't have this much muscle before, therefore, I'd classify it as a recomp
  • SideSteel
    TLDR

I see. Recomping is essentially eating at maintenance -- at least that's how it's typically defined.

All that being said, I believe you CAN gain muscle in a deficit, depending on a number of variables.
  • urban_ninja
    TLDR

I see. Recomping is essentially eating at maintenance -- at least that's how it's typically defined.

All that being said, I believe you CAN gain muscle in a deficit, depending on a number of variables.

:drinker:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Didn't read anything but the first post.

I've read BCAA's let a guy on MFP do just that.

So I 'THINK' it is possible. - bring the intensity - difficult? - yes.