Worried about what happens when i reach my weight goal.. :(

2»

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I simply do not plan to maintain, I will either be working to get stronger, or leaner. I know if I become complacent I will fail.

This is my approach as well..

Me three! I have found that setting new goals after losing the excess weight keeps me on track to feeling better and better.

And me four. I didn't reach my goal and stop, I just changed my goals to be more fitness oriented.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Good points from everyone. It got me thinking, I should look at MFP a different way and change my goals. Not even use the word "goal".

1. Weight loss is a milestone, not THE goal. (What?)

2. The intent is developing habits for a healthier lifestyle.

I will reach my target weight, like graduating from a school. MFP is a school or a dojo where I practice things until they are a reflex. OK, so I get my colored belt or diploma or yellow robe. Now I should forget all that stuff and behave differently? My intent is to make the daily 30 minutes of exercise be a reflex. Buying healthier foods and ignoring those ads for fatty convenience foods will be a reflex. Frequent journaling will be a reflex

Continuing the analogy, people usually take continuing ed courses or visit the dojo to maintain their abilities. My intent is to do the same, returning to MFP or other places to check in and keep on course.
    I really like this. Thank you.

Me too. I'm going to start calling my weight "goal" my weight loss "milestone" instead, and start planning my next milestone.

Thanks for the inspiration!