Hogwarts Weight Loss Challenge - Enrollment Now Open

Replies

• Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    I would like to join too! Gryffindor please!
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Oops. I see I missed it????
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    I would like to partake if there is still room. I am a Gryffindor!

Thank you!
  • runlolarun5
    runlolarun5 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in!!! Hufflepuff please :)
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Would love to be involved, sounds like fun! Ravenclaw if there's room but I wouldn't mind any/ being placed on a waiting list :)
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Please see:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1359621-hogwarts-weight-loss-challenge-is-closed

We are THRILLED to have so many interested parties, and considering means of accommodating more, but at this time we are unable to accept additional students to the Waiting Lists. This challenge has been successful in the past and will likely be again, so you can easily anticipate a Winter Term opening as well. Stay tuned!

ADDENDUM: We are in the process of considering upping the limits per House, but that has not been decided at the time of this post. Please stay tuned for additional information once it becomes available. Those who signed up on the initial Enrollment post up to page 13 (the "CLOSED" notice) have been entered to the Waiting List and will be contacted.

How come there is a limit? Are all the dorm rooms filled?

Is there some kind of fire code violation or something?

Primarily due to the issues surrounding management of a very large group of participants over various challenges. We have increased the number of administrators this term; however, even with the magic of digital documentation and the glory of spreadsheets, running a challenge in which points are tallied for many different types of activities and which hundreds of people are involved in can be a daunting task. Even at Hogwarts, not all rooms can stretch to accommodate as many students as might be interested or qualified in a term.

Unfortunately we do also have lives outside of Hogwarts. :wink:

Give your excel database to new volunteers so they can run this alongside?:
    Given the popularity of this topic, perhaps Beauxbatons and Durmstrang would also consider entering, in which case I would happily drop my name into the Goblet of Fire.

now this sounds very interesting! why not organise this and have the 3 schools compete each other in challenges as well along side? :)
  • katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    I'm in! Please choose a house for me where you need fills!
  • krisncraig
    krisncraig Posts: 16 Member
    I would love to join your challenge. I Love all things Harry Potter. This should be fun!!!!!!:smile::love: :heart: :heart:
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Given the popularity of this topic, perhaps Beauxbatons and Durmstrang would also consider entering, in which case I would happily drop my name into the Goblet of Fire.

now this sounds very interesting! why not organise this and have the 3 schools compete each other in challenges as well along side? :)

Please see the additional information under http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1359621-hogwarts-weight-loss-challenge-is-closed regarding this option. We'd love to see it happen, but cannot actively work to do so at this time.
  • ameliad87
    ameliad87 Posts: 66 Member
    I know I missed enrollment :( But I would LOOOOVEE to be added if you guys do expand this. I'm such a Potterhead, and it starts on my birthday...how perfect is that???

If possible, I'd like to be placed into Ravenclaw. Thank you.

If not, next time you guys do this, PLEASE send me a message so that for sure will be in. :)
  • marcinirl
    marcinirl Posts: 4
    I can fill up gap in any house ;) great idea!
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Me! Gryffindor based on my Pottermore results :)
  • RachelCane
    RachelCane Posts: 33 Member
    this is a great idea, put me in slytherin please
  • Dreamtigre
    Dreamtigre Posts: 550 Member
    I'd like to join! Pottermore says Slytherin, but Any house with space is great :)
  • rkeatings
    rkeatings Posts: 78 Member
    I would like to join!!! Griffindor please!!!!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Hey guys. Just wanted to address you all personally real quick.

I'm Ghost, the creator of this challenge. This is my second "term." About three months ago, I posted a silly "what if we did a Hogwarts weight loss challenge" brainstorming thread in this forum. It blew up, and we ended up having a full-blown competition.

The reason behind the house limits is just the number of hours that go into tallying up house points, and keeping the weight-loss spreadsheet current. Last term, I spent about two hours every day working on this. For example, whenever I offer a trivia question, students message me with their answers (to avoid cheating when posting in the forums). That's over 120 people messaging me, and I have less than 48 hours to tally them up, let people know if they're right, and address wrong answers. On top of that, we normally have exercise and food challenges running, as well as people logging their weights. I've asked a few people to help me out this term, but it is still very difficult.

Our current game has enough space for 200 people - that's 50 per house, and already 80 people over what we did last term. However, I have a very hard time turning down people who are as excited as I am about this challenge (and so many of you seem to be really excited). I'll see what we can do about upping the cap.

There are currently over 100 people on our waiting list. But we are going to go through that really quickly. A few things to keep in mind:
    - People really do drop out. Very often. Every week, I was removing 10+ people and replacing them last term. We replaced over half of the Gryffindor house over the course of a couple of weeks.
    - I will be removing anyone who does not get the first weigh-in posted on time (without alerting me first). A lot of people get excited and sign up, but aren't able to follow through. Anyone showing inactivity this early on will be replaced.
    - I have plans in the works for people on the waiting list. It will involve competing with the currently enrolled students, similar to the Triwizard Tournament idea that has been thrown around here. I'm not going to share details, but I've been working on this since last term.

Don't give up if you're on the waiting list. Your owl will most likely still come.

Thank you all for your interest, your patience, and your understanding.
    You all do the Harry Potter family proud. :)

- Ghost
  • kaspiegel
    kaspiegel Posts: 12 Member
    Hi Ghost - a few quick questions.

1. If we haven't received an owl, can we assume we are on the waiting list?

2. Should we send in our weights/ weight loss despite being on the waiting list?

Also, I'd like to be on the waiting list for any available spot - I don't care which house I'm in!

Thank you!
  • Slytherin, preferably, but I don't mind which house I'm in ^_^
  • Count me in!!!! Ravenclaw!!!!
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Ravenclaw, please! (Though I will take Slytherin)