weight loss .. only diet and NO exercise???

2»

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I'm also doing this without exercise, but not for the same reasons. So far I have lost about 15 lbs, from February of this year till now, so I'd say yes, it's possible. But when I get close to goal I hope to be able to start working out.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    You don't need exercise to lose weight... You just need to eat at a deficit.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Hello everyone,
    so the thing is that I am a medical student and so I do not have time to exercise.
    Morning-Medical clg
    evening-some extra classes in academy :(
    yes my life is abnormally hectic :sad:
    so i do not have ANY time to work out..even at night i have to study..and at afternoon i am awfully exhausted
    so i wanted to ask that will only diet..1200 cal a day...make me skinny?
    will it make my belly flat..?
    by the way i am not very fat..just a little chubby..but i want to lose at least 10kg
    can i lose it with ONLY dieting?..ok plz dont tell me to exercise in between the classes for gods sake :yawn:
    hehehe so yea..how long will it take to lose 10 kg with onlyyy dieting
    plz help help help....:ohwell:
    Are you being honest with yourself that you do not have any time to exercise? Look through your schedule for any blocks of time (doesn't have to be all at once you can divide it up).
    I finished grad school five years ago, moved 3000 miles away from home, worked 7 days a week(for pay) did an unpaid required internship as well for 25_ hours a week in addition to the forty hour job that paid my rent, finished my masters thesis, and completed my classes--and STILL worked out six days a week. Yes I was tired, but I paid for grad school myself. No other way to do it.

Hats off to you! I think you may be a bit of an over-achiever though. I don't currently know anyone who has THAT much energy. :drinker:
    My mom was a single mom, and there were two of us in college at the same time, so I didn't feel like I had any business asking for help financially. I just....did it.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member

Doctors basically get zero meaningful nutrition training. I think there's only one required basic nutrition class in med school and that's the extent of it unless you specialize - at least that's how things were up until a few years ago. Just because someone has a medical degree doesn't mean that they're educated about nutrition. I've seen posters on MFP who have more accurate info about diets/weight loss/exercise than doctors I know in real life, honestly.

I can definately see that. We only have two where I live. The first one wanted to put me on a crash diet when I told him about MFP, he told me I was consuming too many calories and I wasn't even there about my weight he commented that I've lost weight and that's where it started (ironically), the second one preached high and low to me for eating dessert while trying to lose weight. :huh:
  • willibbi
    willibbi Posts: 4 Member
    Advice from someone who only just figured this out, and tried to 'work off' the weight? Nutrition is the only way to "conveniently" establish and maintain a healthy weight, especially since most of us struggle to have time to eat let alone exercise regularly. This is especially true for those studying into the night and working in 24/7 inpatient environments.

I'm afraid without knowing your particulars, like male/female, height/weight, lean body mass, etc. this is going to be oversimplified. Easy rule of thumb would be equal parts protein/carbs with the remainder going to fat:
    e.g. 40/40/20 or 35/35/30.

Eat your Minimums:
    Vitamins/Minerals: Take multivitamins three times a day - carry them in a small pill case
    Water: Work up to 3 liters to 1 gallon per day. Your body/bladder adjusts (fewer lavatory trips).
    HOW: Mix/Drink a minimum of 2 x protein shakes of ~29-30g protein containing 8oz ice & 8oz water in each, along with 2x 16oz flavored water or iced tea => that gets you your baseline 8 glasses water a day. Then carry 20oz bottle or flask with you, with ~8g protein beverage flavoring each time you drink. Drink/refill for the final 40oz-60oz.
    Protein: 35-40% (see above), then have/carry 10g/100cal protein snacks around and make thick egg white veggie frittatas to keep in the fridge and grab a wedge whenever you're hungry. Choose some good frozen meals and sandwich breads with high protein/calorie ratios for supper and that's about it.
    Carbs: 35-40% Target 'slow carbs' when/if you can (oatmeal, quinoa...grainy flax bread, etc.)
    Fat: 20-30%
    Fiber: 30g/day

Monitor your Maximums:
    Calories: ? I don't know yours, but find some calculator and plug in ~lose 1 pound/week (you'll likely lose more or your body will change in positive ways without it showing on the scale)
    Sodium: 2300mg/day...some disagreement over whether it causes hypertension, but it does cause water retention and can mess with the scale. Table salt, versus e.g. Himalayan pink salt, is toxic as well and may prevent weight loss.