Pain in side when walking fast/running

2»

Replies

• misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Try to change posture and pace so that you can breathe deeply. Take a long deep breath that moves the diaphragm a lot and breathe forcefully (pilates breathing sort of) through your nose.

Try to avoid sugary drinks before exercise. Rehydrate with plain water. Sports drinks generally aren't necessary unless you're exerting yourself for an hour or more.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    I am not sure but I remember hearing it has something to do with your diaphragm. A coach I had, had us raise our arm on that side and put our hand behind our shoulder. The stretch seemed to help.
    This could be a bunch of hooey but it worked for me.

That used to work for me as well (I don't get side stitches anymore).

As the others said, make sure you're running at a comfortable, even speed and run "tall" with your back straight and your head up rather than staring at your feet. Focus on your breathing too and find an even rhythm that works for you (for example, a friend of mine swears by breathing in time to "we will rock you" but that totally doesn't work for me :laugh: )
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    In my experience it's simply a matter of conditioning. Keep training.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    If I get side stitches it's because I'm going too fast or not getting deep enough breaths, so slowing down and taking deep breaths almost always fixes it for me.