Lift like a (fat) girl

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Fantastic accomplishment! How long did you train for this competition? Did you use a trainer or did you follow a program on your own? I am interested in getting into power lifting but not sure where to start.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Fantastic accomplishment! How long did you train for this competition? Did you use a trainer or did you follow a program on your own? I am interested in getting into power lifting but not sure where to start.

I didn't train specifically for this comp. I hurt my knee (running for coffee) in March, so I've been working around that.

I do have a trainer, he's fantastic, you don't need one... But if you've not lifted before, it's an excellent way to get your form checked and increase your confidence.

StrongLifts, NROLFW or the Girls Gone Strong programs are all good starting points.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Absolutely fantastic!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Fantastic job!!!.....and with an injury!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Great pics and inspiration! I'm toying with the idea of real strength training now that I've lost too much weight. I am becomming a Zumba instructor and don't have a lot of time for another pursuit, but I figure I have to do something every day, anyway, so it would take much change in my schedule to swap a cardio class for an hour of strength training.
  • nz_deevaa
    Great pics and inspiration! I'm toying with the idea of real strength training now that I've lost too much weight. I am becomming a Zumba instructor and don't have a lot of time for another pursuit, but I figure I have to do something every day, anyway, so it would take much change in my schedule to swap a cardio class for an hour of strength training.

Resistance training is really important as we age, it keeps your bones strong.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    that's good stuff!
  • It made me so very happy to read this! Huge congrats on everything you have accomplished!
  • nz_deevaa
    5 reasons to go to a powerlifting competition:

14511930857_55fcb6a9ce.jpg
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member

I didn't train specifically for this comp. I hurt my knee (running for coffee) in March, so I've been working around that.

I do have a trainer, he's fantastic, you don't need one... But if you've not lifted before, it's an excellent way to get your form checked and increase your confidence.

StrongLifts, NROLFW or the Girls Gone Strong programs are all good starting points.

Thank you :-)
  • LEDuff
    LEDuff Posts: 5
    awesome job!!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    You are a BAMF!!! Amazing!

I took a peek at your profile pictures - Love the "Go ahead, underestimate me" (story of my life)

edit for spelling...
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Fantastic! I'm so delighted to see this post, and for you.
    I'm a big girl lifting too - I decided to give it a try when I joined a gym earlier this year, and it was love at first lift. :heart:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Ms. Deeva!!

I don't know how I missed this, but it's the best thing I've read all day! Congrats, and you're seriously fantastic.

PS: It was you that inspired me to start lifting. You were so open about the process that I was inspired to give it a go. So THANK YOU! My life has changed. Seriously.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • nz_deevaa
    Ms. Deeva!!

I don't know how I missed this, but it's the best thing I've read all day! Congrats, and you're seriously fantastic.

PS: It was you that inspired me to start lifting. You were so open about the process that I was inspired to give it a go. So THANK YOU! My life has changed. Seriously.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

*waves hands*

Oh you.

:blushing:
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Woo hoo!!! Fantastic!!! Love that you shared this!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Deevaa, you are a badass. Like lion punching status badass.

zFYZn.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Always an inspiration :heart:
  • nz_deevaa
    Deevaa, you are a badass. Like lion punching status badass.

zFYZn.gif

Huzzah!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Holy wow - how did I miss this!!

Deevaa you are awesome! :flowerforyou: