Why the frenzy about almond milk?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I stopped eating dairy for three weeks in order to do a food allergy elimination diet. Lo and behold I figured our that dairy makes my skin breakout. Glass of milk = pimples around my chin. No dairy = clear skin. After Googling it further, I have found many people have also made the dairy = acne link. By all accounts, the hormones in milk (it is from a lactating cow, so there are hormones in ALL animal milk, not the added rBGH type) make some people's skin angry. I am one of those people. So, I use almond milk in cereal and cooking in order to keep my skin looking good.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Almond milk and soy milk both taste better in coffee than cow's milk, so I drink them. Having a girlfriend who shops at Trader Joe's helps, too.

I can't think of anything worse than curdling soya milk in coffee.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    it is lower in calories (not many people will admit that's their reason)

I'm actually kind of annoyed that it's lower in calories. Compared to skim milk, those missing calories are basically the protein that's in skim milk, which is milk's only redeeming feature (imo).

Do what I do and add a low carb protein powder (ON Gold Standard Double Chocolate). Keto and need more fat? Add coconut oil and/or heavy cream. In the morning? Espresso shots. 3 net carbs.

One of my uses for almond milk is a base for my protein shake instead of skim milk. The whey is a constant in that scenario. There's no real way of getting around the fact that I'm losing some protein by picking almond milk over skim milk. Thankfully, the difference isn't freakishly large.

Well, unsweetened almond milk has basically nothing to it. If you really want more protein, just use more powder or make another shake. Milk just has too many g of carbs for me right now that I can hardly drink it (keto).

I think instead of another shake, the more appropriate solution would probably be to adapt the ratio of powder-to-almond milk in the original shake to make up for the lack of protein provided by the dairy. I presume there wouldn't be an adverse effect on palatability of the shake, but I haven't tried it.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I just don't like the thought of drinking milk from cows that are forced to be constantly pregnant and lactating

This is so not true. My husband worked on a dairy farm when he was growing up and they do NOT "keep the cow pregnant to continue lactating". Cows keep giving milk for months after the calf is born. The milk that comes out first is called "sweet milk" and that is for the calf because it has all the vital nutrients that it needs. When that milk is done they wean the calf and the mother continues to produce milk which is the milk that is sold for drinking.

I couldn't imagine drinking something like almond milk. I tried soy milk for a while -- unsweetened -- and it just tasted so darn funky. I now get raw milk from a farm up the road. So much better than anything I've ever had.

There's a chance of catching Listeria, but I guess you already know that.
    www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/causes/bacteriaviruses/listeria/
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    I just don't like the thought of drinking milk from cows that are forced to be constantly pregnant and lactating

This is so not true. My husband worked on a dairy farm when he was growing up and they do NOT "keep the cow pregnant to continue lactating". Cows keep giving milk for months after the calf is born. The milk that comes out first is called "sweet milk" and that is for the calf because it has all the vital nutrients that it needs. When that milk is done they wean the calf and the mother continues to produce milk which is the milk that is sold for drinking.

I couldn't imagine drinking something like almond milk. I tried soy milk for a while -- unsweetened -- and it just tasted so darn funky. I now get raw milk from a farm up the road. So much better than anything I've ever had.

Fear mongering at it's best! Seriously, I often wonder how we ever survived as a society with all the "dangers" out there. I suppose I shouldn't eat farm fresh eggs either because I don't know how they're washed and I could get sick from that too?

It's a good thing I'm not old, pregnant, have a weakened immune system, an organ transplant patient or have some disease. And FWIW: "According to the CDC, during the period from 1990 − 2006, there were 24,000 foodborne illnesses reported each year on average. Of those, 315 per year are from dairy products. This means dairy products account for about 1.3% of foodborne illnesses each year."

And if I wanted to I could easily pasteurize it myself.

ETA: You can also get listeria from other thing as well. But I'm sure you knew that because it was in the article.:wink:
  • bas3dg0d
    bas3dg0d Posts: 17 Member
    It tastes amazing for one
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Milk is not basic. It's slightly acidic. The pH is about 6.7. 7 is neutral, anything below that is heading towards acidic...anything above that is heading towards caustic.... anyway - I just had to say that.

Other than that - reasons I am now on the almond milk frenzt...

#1 - it stays good in my fridge for over a month!
    #2 - are any more reasons really needed???
    .... Ok so it actually has less calories and sugar, and more calcium than the skim milk I was drinking, which, i have to admit, way to go Stoneyfield because you gave Almond milk a damn good run for its money on shelf life - but my BF cringes less when i drink month old almond milk than he does when i drink 1 month old cow milk. Meh, if it tastes good i drink it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Fear mongering at it's best! Seriously, I often wonder how we ever survived as a society with all the "dangers" out there. I suppose I shouldn't eat farm fresh eggs either because I don't know how they're washed and I could get sick from that too?

It's a good thing I'm not old, pregnant, have a weakened immune system, an organ transplant patient or have some disease. And FWIW: "According to the CDC, during the period from 1990 − 2006, there were 24,000 foodborne illnesses reported each year on average. Of those, 315 per year are from dairy products. This means dairy products account for about 1.3% of foodborne illnesses each year."

ETA: You can also get listeria from other thing as well. But I'm sure you knew that because it was in the article.:wink:

There's also the fact that fruits and vegetables were the cause of more than half of food borne illnesses, and 16.4% of the deaths, from 1998 to 2008.

Even playing the scare tactic game, raw milk is still pretty low on that list. :drinker:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/most-food-illnesses-come-from-greens/
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Good marketing. Like calisthenics...ermmmm, P90x, Insanity, Crossfit, etc.
  • bugaboo_sue

There's also the fact that fruits and vegetables were the cause of more than half of food borne illnesses, and 16.4% of the deaths, from 1998 to 2008.

Even playing the scare tactic game, raw milk is still pretty low on that list. :drinker:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/most-food-illnesses-come-from-greens/

I also like the fact that my milk is coming from cows that are roaming free and don't have any hormones added to it. YUM!:drinker: Happy cows make awesome milk!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I also like the fact that my milk is coming from cows that are roaming free and don't have any hormones added to it. YUM!:drinker: Happy cows make awesome milk!

Indeed! And in the off chance you did get sick from it, you know exactly where it came from.

Also, I'm mildly jealous of you. Raw milk is illegal in my state. :sad:
  • bugaboo_sue

Indeed! And in the off chance you did get sick from it, you know exactly where it came from.

Also, I'm mildly jealous of you. Raw milk is illegal in my state. :sad:

That sucks. :frown: Although the place that I get it from I don't think it's well known that they sell it. Whenever we go the guy never remembers how much he charges.:laugh:
  • brustman1369
    brustman1369 Posts: 4 Member
    I drink almond milk because I like the way it tastes. I've always disliked cow milk but do sometimes like my coffee lightened, something in my smoothies, something in my protein shakes, or something on my cereal.

I did soy milk for several years but have almost completely switched to almond milk now.

I don't do it for health benefits. I do it because it is a cow-milk-replacement that I prefer to cow milk.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Cow's milk has hormones. Most people are anti GMO and stuff right now.

I use almond milk because it doesn't spoil quickly and cow's milk makes me nauseated. I also limit cheese and yogurt because of this.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Cow's milk has hormones. Most people are anti GMO and stuff right now.

I use almond milk because it doesn't spoil quickly and cow's milk makes me nauseated. I also limit cheese and yogurt because of this.

Most cows milk has added hormones. The milk I drink does not.

The funny thing is that stores will pay MORE for milk that doesn't have the hormones added in.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Almond milk and soy milk both taste better in coffee than cow's milk, so I drink them. Having a girlfriend who shops at Trader Joe's helps, too.

I can't think of anything worse than curdling soya milk in coffee.
    I have never had that issue, you need to find a better quality soy milk. In NZ I eat the Vitasoy brand and it froths up brilliantly.
  • 4thelove14
    4thelove14 Posts: 28
    Sorry I am not going to read all 100 plus posts on this so I may be repeating but I drink almond (all natural unsweetened non GMO verified) for these reasons...

1) love the taste way more than skim, and its thicker
    2) in my whey shake my blueberries and kale keep all their nutrients and antioxidants that are lost when combined with milk protein
    3) the fat in almond milk is good fat, mono and poly found in items like avocado required to kick fat burning into gear
    4) since changing to this product I no longer have acid reflux, odd but true lol

I just joined this site but I have lost 60lbs over the last year and I have to tell you the two biggest changes I made was increasing my mono/poly fats (I never use butter or any substitute I only use olive oil, yes for everything) and I changed to spelt bread / flour... I just started working out this month so my weight loss is attributed to food change...
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Unless you are lactose intolerant, vegan or just don't like milk, the only reason to drink almond milk over regular milk would be:
    1 - Fewer calories if you drink unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per serving, vs. 80 calories for skim milk)
    2 - More vitamin E in almond milk than in regular milk
    3 - It's not bad for you, unless you're allergic to nuts

So you are correct, there's nothing amazingly healthy about almond milk.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Those that enjoy almond milk and coconut cream, this stuff is so good.

imagejpg1_zpsb30f4668.jpg
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    I add Unsweetened almond milk to my smoothies and protein shakes as its adds flavour and 'milkiness' without the calories. I think thats why you find most people prefer it when sticking to a calorie count. Whereas Cows milk adds at least 100 cals or so and also contains hormones, bacteria, increases bloating and goodness knows what else.