Exercise and a gain...are you kidding me?

2»

Replies

• tkdgirlms
    tkdgirlms Posts: 73
    OP, it's very likely water retention from the increase in activity. We all like to think that our efforts will pay off immediately but in most situations, that's just not how our bodies work. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll see progress in no time.

This ^^^ our bodies retain water so as to help muscles recover from the activity.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Our bodies fluctuate +/- 5 pounds for no reason what-so-ever. One of the many pitfalls of being an amazing, gorgeous, and active woman!

Don't let the scale be the entity you look for affirmation from. That's just a relationship better left for the waistband of your trousers and numbers on the measuring tape.

Trust in your dedication and training!
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    The question you should be asking yourself is.... are you better off without exercise (or did exercising make me fatter)? No way!

If you gain "weight", remember that "weight" is a dumb mesurement. It measures everything inside of you, it cannot tell the difference between fat, muscle, food, poo, pee, etc. etc.

Get a tape measure, fat calipers, etc. The idea is to lose fat, while keeping as much lean mass as possible. The scale won't know the difference. It takes time, it takes work, but it pays off in the long run. Fat is like body debt. Get out of debt with your body and pay it back with some exercise. As long as you are working your plan (food intake, exercising regularly) you will win.

Move! :-)
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    When you first start you might gain for a week or 2 as the fat turns into muscle. JUst stick with your plan and you will start losing by week 3.

Fat doesn't "turn" into muscle.

When you introduce more strenuous activity, or increase your level of activity, your muscles will work harder and need to repair themselves. You're likely just holding on to some extra water. Keep up the exercise, up your protein intake, and stay well hydrated. It will come off.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    25 km (week) is barely maintenance for me (not including ~240 km on the bike, which is also, barely maintenance).

I;d recommend to you to increase your distance ~10-15% week (with a 20% drop every 5th week). Drink lots of water. An egregious amount of water. Completely avoid salty snacks, foods (chips, crackers, french fries, popcorn, rice cakes).

Tip: The sweet spot (on average) to switch fat burning in lieu of glycogen burning is around 40 minutes or so (for running and swimming, ~80 minutes for cycling and walking)
  • shellywoman
    shellywoman Posts: 2 Member
    You may not want to hear this but what you are experiencing is not unusual for women. Your body is going to hold on to a bit more water (in order to heal growing muscles), your body will bloat a bit too. You can help move your body forward by making sure you keep yourself hydrated.

OK the part you don't want to hear. I believe that I am build for a famine. This process of gain even though I was kicking butt on all other fronts lasted nearly over a month for me. Then I lost a few pounds quickly. My body goes in and out of this process regularly. You have to build the mental stamina to win.

Just keep at it. This is a long term life habit you are building. There's no magic other than that which lives inside of you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Hi,

I'm discouraged. Last week I was ver strict with myself and exercised a lot (for me). I got in 25km for the week, plus I did haying too. I was under my calories every day too. I jump on the scale looking forward to a for sure loss and... I gained 0.3 lbs! Talk about a piss off!
    1. I used the endomondo app, perhaps it is too generous with how many calories it said I burned? What do you think?
    2. Perhaps my efforts will show next week...if I don't completely blow it this week.
    3. Maybe the scale wasn't friendly but I feel a difference a bit in my body, could be possible, right?
    Thoughts? Motivation please!

Dawn.

Water weight. You exercised, stressed your muscles...they retained water for storage of glycogen and repair and as a result your weight went up despite the fact that you likely lost fat.

Weight loss and fat loss are not always the same thing on short time scales. Relax, breath...realize that it is impossible to exercise more and eat the same and have that result in fat gain and carry on.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    When a new exercise routine is introduces it puts extra stress on the muscles which they have to recover from. Part of the recovery process includes their retaining water. Most people see a slight gain for a few weeks and then it will drop off as your muscles get used to the new workload. Keep it up and don't stress too much about the scale, if you are feeling good then you are on the right track.

~Best wishes

Absolutely this. Sometimes it even happens all at once. Out of the blue, you wake up, get on the scale, and two or three pounds are magically gone. So keep on with the exercise, take measurements, and enjoy your health.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    When you exercise, it causes your muscles to swell, and this can cause a temporary weight gain. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. To stay motivated take your measurements and see if you have lost inches.

Absolutely. A pound of fat on the scale weighs much less than a pound of muscle on the same scale.

A pound of muscle is more dense and compact than a pound of fat. But a pound is a pound. :wink:

I think the previous poster was being sarcastic. :)
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    ive been exercising and dieting for a month now and haven't lost anything, but everyone keeps telling me i look like ive lost weight i know im probably toning and gaining muscle but i still want to see that scale go down : (